52 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Has anyone ever road raced one of those?

I've never raced one but it is a G-body, basically the same thing as a F-body.  Plenty of circle track SS's out there. If you can make it run well turning left you can do the same turning right.

3 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

I've never raced one but it is a G-body, basically the same thing as a F-body.  Plenty of circle track SS's out there. If you can make it run well turning left you can do the same turning right.

Aren't the circle track ones mostly tube frame replicas?

Edited by skierman64

8 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Aren't the circle track ones mostly tube frame replicas?

No..not in the Street Stock classes. Some tracks don't allow f-bodys to run anymore so lots of the Chebby guys run those. The only draw back I see for chumps is they never came with a stick option, so you'd have to take the hit on the 4 or 5 speed. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

We ran a 78 malibu.  Same car.  We had a 350 with a Saginaw 4speed behind it.

Kinda fun.  Kinda not fun.

You need a steering shaft from a jeep and a steering box from a ws6 to make the thing communicate while steering.

Use front and circle track parts on the front end.  Use some moot springs from some other car all around and bilstein shocks.  Handles okay.  Goes okay.

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You need a steering shaft from a jeep and a steering box from a ws6 to make the thing communicate while steering.

Use front and circle track parts on the front end.  Use some moot springs from some other car all around and bilstein shocks.  Handles okay.  Goes okay.

;)  somebody knows a thing or 2.

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

We ran a 78 malibu.  Same car.  We had a 350 with a Saginaw 4speed behind it.

Kinda fun.  Kinda not fun.

So You're Telling me - So you're telling me... A late 80s gm steering doesnt communicate what the tires are doing???

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

So You're Telling me - So you're telling me... A late 80s gm steering doesnt communicate what the tires are doing???

If it has a Monte SS steering box it does. :)

A G-body is like an F-body only in that they were both produced by GM, that's why circle tracks allow G-bodies but not F-bodies. F-body = good front suspension and rear leaf springs; G-body = bad geometry and rear coils/4 link rear. Front end geometry needs work to do well turning both ways, not too bad to crutch it for an oval.

Things can be done to make it all work but a better choice is an X-body, all the good stuff of the F-body with a decent fuel tank and about 2-300 lbs lighter. Same MPV.

21 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

No..not in the Street Stock classes. Some tracks don't allow f-bodys to run anymore so lots of the Chebby guys run those. The only draw back I see for chumps is they never came with a stick option, so you'd have to take the hit on the 4 or 5 speed. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

The Iraqi Taxi (G-body) from the '80s was a v6 with a floor shift.

1 hour ago, mender said:

If it has a Monte SS steering box it does. :)

A G-body is like an F-body only in that they were both produced by GM, that's why circle tracks allow G-bodies but not F-bodies. F-body = good front suspension and rear leaf springs; G-body = bad geometry and rear coils/4 link rear. Front end geometry needs work to do well turning both ways, not too bad to crutch it for an oval.

Things can be done to make it all work but a better choice is an X-body, all the good stuff of the F-body with a decent fuel tank and about 2-300 lbs lighter. Same MPV.

I should have said Gen III f-body. Gen II f-body seem to be a better platform. Yet have a lower MPV

• Like 2