In car IPad holder mounting? Need ideas?

JoeHeitzRules

If you can weld, this worked great for us. We welded in the channel, used some rubber stripping around the inside edge, drilled a hole for the power cable. and we just used zip ties to keep it locked down. It worked great, with zero vibration. Note, don't just mount it straight. Turn on the tablet and figure out the best angle and build the bracket to hold it in that location.

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike.g said:

If you can weld, this worked great for us. We welded in the channel, used some rubber stripping around the inside edge, drilled a hole for the power cable. and we just used zip ties to keep it locked down. It worked great, with zero vibration. Note, don't just mount it straight. Turn on the tablet and figure out the best angle and build the bracket to hold it in that location.

That is a TERRIBLE place to put your lap timer....;)

• Like 1

For what its worth, we used a mount like the one below.  Its for a phone, not and iPad though.  Simply drilled a hole in our panel to fit that circular piece.  Once inserted that  provides vertical support for the mount.  A piece of gorilla tape across the solid/non-sliding part of the mount then holds it in.  We then put some Velcro stuck to the panel and the phone to hold the phone from vibrating out.  It is pretty simple, super cheap (the mount was like $2 on amazon.... crazy Chinese companies) and it works pretty well (hasn't fallen off yet at least!).

Image result for iphone car holder

• Like 1

If you have a flat surface or can make a flat surface 2 inch Velcro and it will never ever go anywhere. The vibrations as the car is running cause the hook and loop to become intertwined tighter over time and it is actually a real challenge to get it off after a race.

IMG_20160505_211833_zpsxefsmzm7.jpg

RPXD0597_zpswarbtibo.jpg

• Like 1

So we are now required to tether ALL small cameras (9.18.1, metal mount provision removed for 2017) inside the car to protect the driver in an impact/rollover but using H&L to secure a tablet to the dash is acceptable? :wacko:

For newbs looking at this, I would suggest finding a more secure option for tablets/phones.  JMO.

If you look at my dash I added holes so I could use long tie wraps to add to the security of the Velcro, but after the first race and nearly breaking the glass screen on the tablet because I had to use so much force to remove it I quit bothering with the tie wraps. That 2 inch heavy duty Velcro is some strong stuff.

My camera has a tether but I am not sure I have ever seen another car that complied with this rule…

• Like 1

No worries MHR, just pointing out silly rules I guess.  H&L only would still make me nervous in a high G impact or rollover, but to each his own.  But now I am curious what that part is mounted behind the dash on the upper left side.

We made a mount with channel and aluminum plate like ^^ above, then mounted it to a rammount arm we had lying around.

That is the radio.

In my case I have a bit of a secondary tether on the tablet, after having all kind of problems keeping the USB plugged in and charging I ended up getting a little 6 inch cord and JB welding it to the tablet.

Edited by mhr650