Federal SS595 tires?

Bill Strong

This is not exactly the feedback you're looking for, but here goes: 

Obviously this isn't the type of tire one would normally campaign in chumpcar, it's a class down.  That said, the apex of my driving career was an overall 3rd place in a local AutoX in a 3000lbs car an 18" variant of those tires.  I did track days on the same tire and they held up well considering what they were.  I suspect they could last a race distance.  I think they're a decent tire for what they are.

• Administrators

Thats what I am looking for.

This is not for my MR2 which use the latest and greatest sticky tire. I want a cheap tire for the Opel GT so my kid and my new drivers can learn to save tires, and learn to drive fast on limited stick. 

Currently we are using Yokohama HTR4 400TW on 14" honda aluminum wheels. They do great. But for VIR I want to use the magnesium super lightweight 13" rims I have. 

We run them for "don't care about lap times and just want cheap track time" testing on the Opel you saw at COTA. They are pretty durable, and pretty predictable, I would say they are definitely worth a try for your mentioned scenario. They will not come close to the grip of a Star Spec etc... but may last as long on the track. Probably a good learning tire...

• Like 1

Really good to hear that these are alright tires.  240 for a set is an easier pill to swallow for a first event with rookies. 

That's exactly it.  We started out using Nankang NS2Rs to try and keep the cost down.  They are decent and are plenty of tire for the level of driving that we are at.  But as we progress we will likely switch over to something better.

• Like 1