Free improvements for E36 m50b25?

turbogrill

16 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

The E36 325 is 500 points so what are the free mods?

- ECU, CAI and exhaust (190hp bhp to ~210bhp)

- Cut/Stiffer springs

- Bushings

Anythings else?

What about weight? Seems like 2700 lbs is where you can take them. Sounds about right?

Perhaps a little lighter than that but you are in the ballpark on expected race weight. Add to your list:

- 2x rule dampers

- Hand-tool mods which don't require adding stuff to the car i.e. slotting strut towers

- Freebie brake ducts as needed

- Lexan windows if desired

Edited by enginerd

2 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Sounds like a 500pts E36 325 can be very fast!

Haven't seen any non-EC fast E36 so far though!

(Only done 1 race :) )

Some good ones were likely chased away, and some good teams probably opted to build e30s instead during the 540 / 530 MPV era. I suspect the e36 will be a regular contender given a little time for them to come back. The Frasun e36 was apparently quite good at Sonoma recently.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, where are the moderators with their thread locks?  We can't have E36 teams collaborating and ganging up on the rest of us... look what happened last time - you were given penalty laps for just showing up with a stock car.

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, enginerd said:

Some good ones were likely chased away, and some good teams probably opted to build e30s instead during the 540 / 530 MPV era. I suspect the e36 will be a regular contender given a little time for them to come back. The Frasun e36 was apparently quite good at Sonoma recently.

I think that was a 328i......

18 hours ago, enginerd said:

Perhaps a little lighter than that but you are in the ballpark on expected race weight. Add to your list:

- 2x rule dampers

- Hand-tool mods which don't require adding stuff to the car i.e. slotting strut towers

- Freebie brake ducts as needed

- Lexan windows if desired

Lexan windows should be a must.  I know all of the "old timers" have seen this, but I'm posting it for the new build guys because they need to see it....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Lexan windows should be a must.  I know all of the "old timers" have seen this, but I'm posting it for the new build guys because they need to see it....

That's why I ran Lexan even when it was outlawed during the Condren era. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

So what is going on here. It seems like the flames are being sucked into the cockpit from the outside? OR what is going on?

This looks scary. We have no windows on our 280zx

1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

So what is going on here. It seems like the flames are being sucked into the cockpit from the outside? OR what is going on?

This looks scary. We have no windows on our 280zx

Yes - the fire is coming from under the car and into the cockpit because the aerodynamics of a "windshield only" car are such that the flames of any fire that is back-of-engine or under the car will be sucked into the side and rear windows because of the low-pressure zone where the driver is.  If you run with no windows (but with a windshield), you absolutely should run with your visor down and wear nomex underwear even with your 3 layer suit.  The guy in this video got pretty burned, and he also jumped out of the car while it was still moving because of the intense heat.  He was very lucky - he got our much faster than a lot of people are able to and that probably saved his life (an older, heavier guy may have died in that situation).  If you have NO WINDSHIELD, then you don't need to worry about this type of issues (but there are plenty of other problems with that).

From what I understand, the "remove the glass" initiative came from a concern about glass getting on the track in crashes (and also perhaps posing a risk to safety workers).  In my humble opinion, that was a really bad decision to make.  The reality is that very few crashes result in broken glass (look at SCCA races where they have glass) and the ones that do are typically rollovers, which often put the glass out in the grass or somewhere else off-line.  The SCCA has been able to deal with this for decades.  In "fixing" the broken glass problem, we have created a fire problem that can have much worse consequences.  Imagine coming down the hill towards T10 at Road Atlanta during your night stint at 120 mph and having fire come into the cockpit (note how FAST it came in).  There is no way you would be able to see out the windshield, it would be tough to find the kill switch or the fire button (although the latter may not do enough when the oxygen is coming over the fire at 120 mph), and God help you if you had your visor open and got the blast of fire into your eyes...

I can't be more emphatic in recommending that you put lexan in your car as your #1 priority.  I agree with @skierman64 in his decision to blow off the rules and just make it safe, back when lexan was frowned upon.  Another learning from this: balaclavas are not "optional" if you don't have side and rear glass (the driver was not wearing one an regretted it)

If you want to better understand the aerodynamics, there is some good info in this thread:

Here is an article with some more details from the guy's point of view - skip the early paragraphs and go to the middle if you want the details of the incident:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/modp-1108-fiery-tale-driver-impressions/

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 3

I made the same argument that @Racer28173 made back in 2014 when lexan was made value add.  It fell on deaf ears to the previous CCWS administration.  I ran Lexan anyhow and worked around the value add rule (which like many rules at the time was full of loopholes) and didn't incur any more points that the 4 laps we got for being a e36 325.  No regrets on my part.  

The fire in the above scenario was cause by an uncontained engine failure which resulted in a rod going through the oil pan and dumping oil on the headers and igniting.  It could happen to any car on grid.  Spend the money on some lexan and keep the bad stuff outside the car where it belongs.  

Oh, while you're at it, make sure all the holes in your firewall are sealed with some kind of metal or at least metallic tape.  There was a under hood fire at COTA last year that got into the cabin of the car through firewall holes.  The driver suffered some significant burns due to someone not prepping the car properly and sealing up firewall holes before the race. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 3:06 PM, red0 said:

Its an E36. 

1. Buy E36
  2. Mount stuffed deer in trunk
  3. Collect trophy

1. med_gallery_487_53_51876.jpg

But more seriously, yes what you and Enginerd have down sounds pretty fast.

Is that the same deer that was hollowed out and put on wheels to distribute beverages?