2017 Board of Directors Meeting - Daytona International Speedway

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

I'm surprised there has not been more Fox Body Birds being build instead of Mustangs honestly...... yea the wheel base is a little longer, but other than that it would seem like a no brainer for people that can sort out a Fox well.

Rusty Cougar/Drunken Squirrels is an example of fast and successful with the Cougar/TBird.  We would have built one of those instead but finding one of those cars in Canada is extremely rare.  People took better care of Mustangs so they are much easier to find in decent shape.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HeelToeNick said:

Very good point. We are getting into some crazy speed creep. I mean 2:10 at daytona on street tires.... WOW. Again,  think adjusting for a BOP kind of feel in chumpcar really is a moot point. Every car is going to have its weak points. People will always find the one car that fits the model best.... e36's for years, sc300's now. And eventually some other car. At the end of the day though, If you don't have 4 solid drivers and a reliable car, I don't care what car you bring. You won't make it onto the podium. 

The street tires point is mostly moot at Daytona. We still had a lot of life left in our tires at the end of the race -- they'd probably be good for another 10 hours on these Dunlops. We are at the limit of our suspension/chassis/aero, not the limit of our tires. 

The Rivals wore out stupid fast at Road Atlanta though -- we only ran 9 hours but had cord showing on the fronts.

Edited by jsausley

1 hour ago, jsausley said:

The street tires point is mostly moot at Daytona. We still had a lot of life left in our tires at the end of the race -- they'd probably be good for another 10 hours on these Dunlops. We are at the limit of our suspension/chassis/aero, not the limit of our tires. 

The Rivals wore out stupid fast at Road Atlanta though -- we only ran 9 hours but had cord showing on the fronts.

Maybe for a car like yours, but the miatas are at the limit for the tires. We run faster on the banks than the specs and weigh less but we are still 4 seconds off their times. So I guess the comparison is a little different. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
5 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

Fuel should be a conversation for the 2029 rule book IMO. Let the recent swap rules stabilize. Use the info to learn what tweaks are needed or if the fuel capacity conversation makes sense long term.

FIFY*

Rules, Keep 'EM Stable 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mender said:

Isn't it right across the river from Vancouver? :lol:

Yes -- but not *that* one. :)

Admittedly, I was being sarcastic; but the more I look at maps, and calculate travel times, the more sensible an idea it becomes.... (Similar could be done for eastern Canada and the Northeast Corridor.)

5 hours ago, csadn said:

Yes -- but not *that* one. :)

Admittedly, I was being sarcastic; but the more I look at maps, and calculate travel times, the more sensible an idea it becomes.... (Similar could be done for eastern Canada and the Northeast Corridor.)

And who, (or is it whom?)... is going to pay for that?

1 hour ago, flyinglizard said:

Is there a post showing the petitions' status?  Lots of fodder here. 

That would be nice.

Also - From a logistics perspective, I totally understand why the board meeting is done at a major race event but it would be nice if the timing could be moved around just a little. It is difficult to load in @ 12-ish noon, get unloaded, get set up, get tech'd, check in, have some semblance of organization in your garage space/pit stall and try make it to the darn meeting. 

• Like 2

Reading through the comments, I think a good topic for discussion next year would be items that increase reliability vs items that increase true performance. It sounds like the BMWs have a pretty serious rocker issue. And I've always though aluminum radiators being points was silly. I understand that using the points on those items keeps people from using them on performance items and thus preventing speed creep but if there are certain items that cars need to make it 14 hours, I feel it is hurting the series as a whole keeping them from teams. It costs teams seat time and makes the attrition horrible. I mean how many cars were still running at the end of Daytona? Maybe 50 of the 120 that took the green?

• Technical Advisory Committee
4 hours ago, pintodave said:

That would be nice.

Also - From a logistics perspective, I totally understand why the board meeting is done at a major race event but it would be nice if the timing could be moved around just a little. It is difficult to load in @ 12-ish noon, get unloaded, get set up, get tech'd, check in, have some semblance of organization in your garage space/pit stall and try make it to the darn meeting. 

And if you're volunteering there's no way you can .  Oops I did get in there for a couple of minutes , I had to come get Jimmy for more driver armbands.  They were discussing the passing rule at the time .

9 hours ago, HeelToeNick said:

Reading through the comments, I think a good topic for discussion next year would be items that increase reliability vs items that increase true performance. It sounds like the BMWs have a pretty serious rocker issue. And I've always though aluminum radiators being points was silly. I understand that using the points on those items keeps people from using them on performance items and thus preventing speed creep but if there are certain items that cars need to make it 14 hours, I feel it is hurting the series as a whole keeping them from teams. It costs teams seat time and makes the attrition horrible. I mean how many cars were still running at the end of Daytona? Maybe 50 of the 120 that took the green?

Should all of this sort of chatter be in a thread of it's own rather than about Board meeting???

As we are doing ENDURANCE racing, reliability matters.  Every car has pros & cons for Chump style racing.  If, as you noted, BMWs have a rocker issue, then they should be driven so it doesn't become a problem.  If a team's selected Chumpmobile has a reliability issue which requires it to be driven at a slower pace or with a certain level of care, so be it.  Anything the rules allow changed without points that improves an inherent reliability issue is a performance improvement for endurance racing and shouldn't be free.  IMHO, far too many mods are now allowed in the name of reliability or cost reduction.  Having started in this silliness with a car that really was available for under $500 and could be competitive, we've seen the pace and cost of being competitive do nothing but go up as the rules have steadily expanded.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Evilwheel said:

Start popping open random cars valve covers at the track and watch the excitement.  

Anyone is free to look under our valve covers at any time.

hehe

• Like 1

On April 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, HeelToeNick said:

Very good point. We are getting into some crazy speed creep. I mean 2:10 at daytona on street tires.... WOW. 

I guess I missed that.  2:10s weren't awful times in Conti ST just a few years ago... 

On April 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, HeelToeNick said:

Very good point. We are getting into some crazy speed creep. I mean 2:10 at daytona on street tires.... WOW. 

I guess I missed that.  2:10s weren't awful times in Conti ST just a few years ago...