What Trans fluid for WC T5

wvumtnbkr

What fluid are yall using that is helping your T5 WC survive in this type of racing?

We will be running a 97 Chevy Camaro V6 T5.  I would like to know what is the absolute BEST oil to run.  I will NOT be running an oil cooler or anything else for this trans so I would rather have the best oil I can in it.

Thanks!

Rob R.

Viscosity vs Temp for your fluid (if the mfg doesn't give you viscosity at 40C and 100C, don't buy it):

http://www.viscopedia.com/calculator/astm-d341-viscosity-temperature-extrapolation/

Temp Sensor, mount in drain plug:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/red-digital-oil-temperature-gauge.aspx

Try to stay below 260F for synthetic lubes, 230F for dino oils, and above 6cSt (mm/s^2).  Adjust your fluids and cooling accordingly, and keep an eye on the magnetic drain plug.  If it's collecting metal, shoot for a high running viscosity - bulk viscosity is just a proxy for viscosity at the gear mesh, which is what you actually care about.  If feeling adventurous, you can go down to ~4cSt to try to minimize drivetrain losses.  Higher viscosity than needed is just wasting engine power.  

Redline D4 is probably a good place to start.  

From my experience the fluid isn't what grenades the T5 boxes. It was the torque in the 3rd Gen F-body that munched them. The case starts flexing and then bad things start to happen. That was the big reason behind the push to the BW six speed.

Granted, keeping the trans fluid up to snuff is a priority, I don't think you will have a lot of the problems that the V8 guys normally have.

I use gm syncromesh as recommended. It was a new trans from Tremec. Tore it down this winter. I changed the synchronizers but really did not need to. I have had very good luck with them. As you know a circle track car has alot of air movement to pull heat away witch we dont have in this series. I recommend a gage to watch temp. Alot of unwarranted complaints about this Trans. There good for road racing and circle track. They do not like the impact of drag racing. Change the 5 gear to a .8 ratio straight helical. It is the weakest gear in this trans and not engineered for racing.

I run a T5 in a circle track car with a 350hp sealed crate motor running 3 gear for 4 years. It is not endurance racing but more hp and tq. Call Red line. They will steer you in the right direction. 

Good luck to you.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I Emailed them.  The response I got was mixed.

It said the d4 or mtl fluid....

I'm old school and have to talk , sometimes I have to get transfered to THE GUY or gal that  KNOWS  THE answer. 

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I Emailed them.  The response I got was mixed.

It said the d4 or mtl fluid....

If you are running endurance stuff, you will see higher temps, thus you need heavier fluid. Go with the Redline MTL. I had MTL in the T56 at Charlotte and after we knocked the exhaust wrap off it was getting up to 275-280 and it lived. Edit: with exhaust wrap staying on, tranny was never more than 235 @ Sebring. 

Since we have the potential to run those high temps, I am now running the Amsoil MTG 75-90 only because it is a touch heavier on the viscosity than the Redline (100°C is 13.9 VS 10.4). It sounds heavy being a "75-90", but don't forget 75-90 gear oil is the equivalent to 5-30/10-40 motor oil. 

I had one of the resident brainiacs over at the BITOG forums steer me in this direction and I am glad he did, no way a thinner fluid would have held up to what we did at Charlotte. I read through some threads with guys toasting stuff using thinner fluids in extreme performance applications.  

Double edit: Don't be worried about shifting with the heavier fluid, I read all sorts of "warnings" about shift performance with the heavier fluid, pffffffft... yea maybe if you are running 75-90 in a daily driver in Maine in January you might find it annoying... once up to just even a little bit of temp, our T56 shifts ridiculously nice, I mean ridiculous. I did rebuild it, but it is all stock junk (double carbon syncro box)

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1

Yes with the gear oil it is a touch stiff on cold mornings, that is cold mornings at race tracks not cold mornings in the middle of winter in Canada.  Anyway, cold mornings at a race track after 5 minutes of warm up laps it is perfectly fine.  

• Like 1