My Little Pony's Portland Weekend

KneeScraper

Another wonderful weekend with My Little Pony and the Chumps…

Saturday:

71 cars, in the rain, and in the dark. Wow…. Always passing someone, somewhere, and always getting passed by someone, somewhere. More of the latter than the previous.

We were doing great until the rain came. Downshift into the chicane and it spins around. Better be careful next time. A few corners later, let off the gas because of a slower car, and spin around again… That is pretty much how our entire race in the rain went. Let off the gas…. Spin….. Let off the gas…. Spin….Apparently, our car has a tendency to swap ends. We have yet to figure out why, but we are trying. We are hoping that Racer Walsh, or someone who has run these on a road course before can point us in the right direction. It isn’t too bad in the dry, but add a little water and things are just scary…. She handles wonderful if you can keep the gas to her, but there is NO CHANGING your mind on the corner speed. I guess that is why we got the “Spin Cycle†trophy..

We had a little issue coming out of the chicane. While many people didn’t make the chicane at one time, or another, everyone I saw that blew it, ALWAYS waited for a clear opening before merging back in at the other side. They always let the guys that actually stayed on the track go by and merge on safely. EXCEPT ONE….. I guess the Firebird was in a heated points race for the season championship and couldn’t wait after he blew the chicane. He came back on track and hit the Pony hard enough to spin them both out. The Pony hit the tire wall hard and took out half of our lights and left front. The firebird driver said he was sorry by waving his middle finger at us. Classy guy…. It is hard not to judge and entire team based on the actions of one jacka$$... I am sure that the rest of the their team was embarrassed by that drivers sportsmanship….

Sunday:

Our first driver goes out and come in after the first lap. He was whining about not having any brakes… We did the 24hr. event over in Spokane and the brakes still looked new after that race, so we didn’t figure 12 hours in the rain would be a problem. Wrong…. Not only did we go down to the metal, but we went through the metal backing of the pad. We were using the actual piston as brake pad material and used up so much of it, that the piston got pushed out and we lost the fluid… So a trip to a couple auto parts stores and we were back out again.

Dry track and no spins and we passed the “Rogue Squadronâ€. Man, we are awesome!!!! Then we find out that he was stuck in 4th. with no clutch…(those guys are a class act, both on the track and in the pits) I don’t know what cars my teammates got to dice with on Saturday, but I got to play with the Lego a few times and a couple other guys.

We had a great time and will be back next year. The Chumpcar organization has been wonderful to us. From the Tech guys, to Cathy, to Tim, and to all of the others that I don’t know their names, thanks…..

Sam

• Like 1

The My Little Pony car and team are great! The theme has all the spectators rooting for them and the guys on the team always look like they are having a good time, even if they are replacing brakes behind the wall. They really understand the ChumpCar spirit.

Since I'm sure you guys can tell it better, let the forum know the tale of your Car Show trophy. It's a HOOT! (If you posted it prior to this, just do it as a link.)

You guys are awesome too, didn't interact much, but it was great to see you out there.

Even though there is one or two that get caught up in the adrenalin of racing and act less than desirable, remember all of those that contribute to the great racing weekend. The vast majority of teams would help anyone, some even offered to help us without being asked.

We got hit quite a bit and one time it was a hard hit. The team and driver that hit us apologized, but it was simply a racing mistake. I believe they also helped us fix the car to get back on the track. Glad I am running a $500 Crapcan instead of a $100,000 car.

Last year we also used the brake piston for a brake pad until fluid came out, makes a cool racing trophy.

Hope to see you in Spokane if not sooner.

Squirrels of fury

(I mostly drove the Audi)

Guest Stefan Mullikin

Pony, I was reviewing the footage from inside our car last night and came across a similar situation in the chicane. A certain Datsun wagon decided to follow the impulses from the red mist and almost took out our car on the exit of turn 2. At least the turbo lag was helping that time since I wasn't freight-training down the track so I was able to avoid the potentially hard hit. No finger though, so that's a plus.

The two times I missed the entrance to the Chicane, I was able to stop the car and wait for an opening before going (and after the 360 into the chicane, unbunch the suit a little, heh)

The shunt from one of the Hondas in the first session on Saturday with no apology was not cool. Especially since it was in front of the rear wheel. Spun the car, had to cut the fender opening back, can see daylight through the fender well, etc. Aside from all of that, our car handled great(if you don't count the inside wheel spin on corner exit) along with some mechanical maladies that kept us sidelined a bit on both days, the car and team did great and I'm proud I was able to be a part of it again.

Most everyone else seemed to more or less behave themselves and had a lot of fun. I know I did! I felt sorry for the young lady perched on the top of the Volvo Tour Bus, seemed like her tour was a bit lost at times trying to stay out of the way, hopefully she didn't spill her espresso :)

To the folks at CCWS who put the events on, the other teams we raced with, thanks for a great event and we'll be back in one way or another as soon as we can!

Guest cueball1

My wife was in the stands at the chicane. She reported, after my shift, the firebird blew straight through the chicane 2 or 3 times in the 20-30 minutes she was sitting there. I guess they take the "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" theme to heart.

That poor Pinto did love swapping ends at the chicane though! That's one pony that hates the rain.

Portland is apparently hard on brakes. I have heard that from a lot of teams who have run elsewhere, only to come to Portland, and use up way more friction material than they were expecting. Our Fiero went through about 80% of the front pads in the 12hrs on Saturday, so we switched them out before Sunday.

Any time I encountered your car on the track, your drivers always seemed to have their wits about them. Hopefully that's a mutual feeling :lol:

We feel your Firebird pain. They used our rear bumper to help brake at the chicane. My driver is still feeling it.

On the lighter side your pony in the pits really, well, shall we say startled one of our drivers when it moved. :lol::lol:

Good time had by all! Looking forward to racing with you guys again.

Guest weezilusa

Portland is apparently hard on brakes. I have heard that from a lot of teams who have run elsewhere, only to come to Portland, and use up way more friction material than they were expecting. Our Fiero went through about 80% of the front pads in the 12hrs on Saturday, so we switched them out before Sunday.

Any time I encountered your car on the track, your drivers always seemed to have their wits about them. Hopefully that's a mutual feeling :lol:

I was so glad I didn't hit you in turn 4 when you stalled out in the middle right at the end on Saturday night... From coming out of 3 it looked like you were off the far side of the track, and it was a surprise coming closer when you weren't!

What kind of pads are you guys running? We had PBR ultimates in the front and Akebono Euro in the back. We had the same set in the front that we had run last years 24 hour in, and they lasted all day saturday... But the fresh Akebono's were completely spent at the end of Sat and had to be replaced for sunday. Somehow our fronts still looked to have about 50% on them, but we swapped them out for good measure.

Team Pony Express had a great time exchanging positions with you out there on the track. Hopefully we'll see you at the next event!

Amen!

<== Another Team Pony Express driver

You guys did well! Never experienced any driving antics that bugged me. :) Glad to be on the track with you guys, and see you next year!

Akebono Euro in the back
I have those on the back of my street 240 right now and I think they warped my rear rotors... Not a fan, definitely going back to Metal Masters or the Ultimates(dusty, but GOOD).

Apparently, our car has a tendency to swap ends. We have yet to figure out why, but we are trying.

Unscientific analysis:

You have a car with a Huge Iron Lump in the Front, the Drive Wheels out the back, and minimal overall length.

Does the name "Gee Bee" mean anything to you? :)

From your neighbours at team rusty igloo - you guys were awesome. Thanks again for giving us a hand welding the motor mount back in. :) Mostly thanks for being such a pleasure to race with on the track. I have never seen a team of drivers more considerate when it comes to racing room and etiquette. You guys rock.

Guest Chumpdechump

Unscientific analysis:

You have a car with a Huge Iron Lump in the Front, the Drive Wheels out the back, and minimal overall length.

Does the name "Gee Bee" mean anything to you? :)

As a matter of FACT it does. The aircraft was labeled erroneously a "Man killer" because to many playboys

could not come to terms with the poor brakes and HUGE horsepower. Jimmy Doolittle flew the aircraft as well as Scott Wolf (Recently) and while it is a handful all the time it was also a race winna!

BTW it was designed with a piece of chalk on a hanger floor. Need to know more buy the book "GEE BEE"

Guest Chumpdechump

From your neighbours at team rusty igloo - you guys were awesome. Thanks again for giving us a hand welding the motor mount back in. :) Mostly thanks for being such a pleasure to race with on the track. I have never seen a team of drivers more considerate when it comes to racing room and etiquette. You guys rock.

Thanks, We enjoyed the pits and Phil almost losing it when your son wanted to shake his hand on sat. night. Hopefully we will see you in April.

Thanks, We enjoyed the pits and Phil almost losing it when your son wanted to shake his hand on sat. night. Hopefully we will see you in April.

That was me. :) My pops is Brian. He almost lost it? Why?

Guest Chumpdechump

That was me. :) My pops is Brian. He almost lost it? Why?

He thought you were going to give him a beeg bear hug or something....

I just watched his eyes get real big as you waded though the pits to shake his hand. Its all good talk with ya later.

He thought you were going to give him a beeg bear hug or something....

I just watched his eyes get real big as you waded though the pits to shake his hand. Its all good talk with ya later.

That is hilarious! :) See you at the next one hopefully.

Oh! And regarding the spin cycle aspect of things.... What does your car have for suspension setup? Typically stiffer front and softer rear would help you some. Adjusting the tire pressures front/rear may help as well. If the car has a rear swaybar, maybe try removing it or getting a smaller one? Or a larger front? To make up for the possibly less willing to turn-ness, see if you can add some negative camber.

Of course, I am just speaking in general terms, but hopefully you can apply some to the car which I know almost nothing, your Little Pony!

As a matter of FACT it does. The aircraft was labeled erroneously a "Man killer" because to many playboys

could not come to terms with the poor brakes and HUGE horsepower. Jimmy Doolittle flew the aircraft as well as Scott Wolf (Recently) and while it is a handful all the time it was also a race winna!

I know all about it -- that's why I brought it up. In the right hands, it was a winner; if you weren't up to scratch, It Would Kill You Deader Than Elvis. Doolittle commented extensively on this; his winning technique was to take the "Richard Petty line" around courses -- as far out as possible, so he didn't have to input much steering control, and make up time on the straights.

Part of its problem, tho', was it was very short overall, and had a socking-great lump of metal at one end; I'd hate to run the CG calc's on that beast. My theory is the Pinto has a similar problem, leading to your Spin-Cycle Award. :)