Springs and coilovers

• Technical Advisory Committee

My interpretation would be:

No points for the spring in the stock location, if it falls within the 1/4" diameter rule.

10 points/side for the additional coilover spring.

Side notes: Mustang? +nice wheel flares!

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

^^^I'm stumped... Can't tell much from that angle, and it does kind of look like an inline engine, not sure if it's a 4 or 6.

Datsun Z car?

Or (way out in left field on this guess) is this the Cosworth Vega (on chassis/suspension steroids)?

How about the rule interpretation? Agree or no?

Edited by mcoppola

On 2017-04-13 at 8:02 AM, mcoppola said:

My interpretation would be:

No points for the spring in the stock location, if it falls within the 1/4" diameter rule.

10 points/side for the additional coilover spring.

I agree.

On 2017-04-13 at 10:23 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

Mercedes coupe.   A big one.

Actually mid-sized: W124 chassis.

23 hours ago, Bremsen said:

I think you're right.  300CE with M104.  Dang, didn't even think about M-B.

Yup, that's the one.  VPI = 300 pts, 18.5 gallons ...

Too few think about M-B. ;)

51 minutes ago, red0 said:

I thought about it, just can't afford it. 

Must be a different market up here, "distressed" M-Bs are cheap!

I bought an '88 300CE that needed a coil and distributor cap for $400 (my DD), an '87 560SEL with 94,000 miles and failed fuel pump for the same price, and a '92 300CE-24 (next DD) with 75,000 miles and no reverse for $800 - and that's Cdn dollars! Not to mention the '81 500SEC with 120,000 miles that I dragged home for free; another failed fuel pump.

Just gotta look a little.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pintodave said:

I know nuttin' about em, but I do remember the Blitzen Benz guys were super fast with theirs a few years back. I don't remember why they disbanded or what happened with the car but it was cool.

If memory serves it was a 190e with the 2.6 six and 5 speed manual. Claims were made that the 2.6 was actually a 3.0 but that might have been sour grapes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mender said:

If memory serves it was a 190e with the 2.6 six and 5 speed manual. Claims were made that the 2.6 was actually a 3.0 but that might have been sour grapes.

This, we ran against it pre/post swap, great team strategy, as for 3.0, never know but part of their day consisted of lingering within podium reach till the last few hours then let er rip with some amazing hp (could have been drivers?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

This, we ran against it pre/post swap, great team strategy, as for 3.0, never know but part of their day consisted of lingering within podium reach till the last few hours then let er rip with some amazing hp (could have been drivers?)

2.6 w/o cats was rated at 166 hp, 3.0 w/o cats was 188 hp, not a huge difference and less power than the M50B25.

Might have been more about the weight than the power, they were surprisingly light at 2640 lbs curb weight (almost E36 race weight!), and of course 10-15% less at race weight.

I know I surprised a few people with my wife's 2.3 auto 190e by passing them uphill in the mountains at 160 kmh and climbing, while still getting a hair under 30 mpg US for the trip.

Edited by mender

We were running 212-222 hp (depending upon website) @  3200lbs and they pulled us on demand, I will go with 188 or some secret euro combo :P

Years later raced against a 190/cosworth that made me think of the old blitz, since then, briefly, have owned a 99 kompressor, yes there is something to the kraut way that we fear but few folks chump em, I had sort of forgotten.

Seriously, those guys were pretty into researching vehicle dynamics.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

We were running 212-222 hp (depending upon website) @  3200lbs and they pulled us on demand, I will go with 188 or some secret euro combo :P

Years later raced against a 190/cosworth that made me think of the old blitz, since then, briefly, have owned a 99 kompressor, yes there is something to the kraut way that we fear but few folks chump em, I had sort of forgotten.

Seriously, those guys were pretty into researching vehicle dynamics.

Top three at the first Daytona race I believe 

• Like 1