Jump to content

Frozen milk jugs for Cool system


Recommended Posts

We use frozen jugs.  Fill the jug to 80-85% full (allowing for expansion), throw the screw top cap away and freeze it.  Use a good cooler like the new Colemans to transport the frozen jugs to the track.  Put 3-4 frozen jugs (again with no screw caps) into your cool box on their side (allows water access to the frozen ice through the open top).  Pour in enough water that the water level is 60-70% of the depth of the box, for ours it takes nearly two gallons.

 

We did a back to back comparison at Daytona doing 1:45 stints.  With just ice the water finished cool but not cold and zero ice left.  With frozen jugs the water finished cold and there were still frozen blocks inside the jugs large enough that they could not drop out through the open top.

 

One of our 1/2 gallon milk jugs sprang a leak in my freezer during the freezing process and made a mess, we're switching to 1 liter tea jugs that are thicker plastic like creamer bottles.  I've read that some teams use the medium size Gatorade bottles.

 

We use two cool boxes, so our swaps are fast and repeatable during the pit stop.  The large blocks of ice combined with the restriction of the opening in the jug give less surface area to the sloshing water and the ice lasts longer and the water stays colder, it's a win-win!

 

Ryan

Edited by reidry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use frozen Gatoraid bottles with 3 3/8" holes drilled in the top so the water can still circulate somewhat through them. To empty excess water during pit stops we use large peanut butter jars with more holes drilled in the lid. For transport to the track we pack the bottles in tightly, cram crushed ice around them and then put a frozen towel folded to the dimension of the cooler lid over them.

 

Essentially the same thing @reidry does and it works great...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use the hard plastic freeze packs made for coolers.  Pull them out, and replace with fresh ones at pit stop. We don't end up with excess water this way.  What ever you do make sure there is not even a tiny scrap of a label still on them, it will come off and plug a line.  

 

Last year we bought a small apartment size freezer off of Craigslist.  Plugged in the night before we go, and when we get to the track.  It has worked great no worries about buying and messing with ice.  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

We use a chest freezer from craigslist.  Makes a great cooler, and once we are at the track we can plug it in and actually make ice.

 

The jugs are antifreeze jugs.  We leave them sealed.  3 fit in our cooler, and the water finishes cold and the jugs still have plenty of ice left.

 

The beauty of the freezer is we only need enough jugs for 4 stints or so, then the first stints jugs have had enough time to re-freeze again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, StaibRX-7 75 said:

We freeze 16 ounce drinking water bottles in put ~14 bottles a mesh laundry bag. At pit just swap the bag with a new one.

 

Good idea if you don't have a second cool box.

 

We build two boxes so if one pump craps out we have spare box in service while we run to walmart for parts to repair the other one!

 

Ryan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We freeze 16-32oz bottles/jugs and put them in the cooler on their side with the cap off.  When done, just pull the bottles out full of water and swap in fresh replacements.  The water level stays pretty even.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use the milk jugs from Costco - the square shape and flat tops with a big lid make them easy to store in the freezer and can fit a couple in the system.  We pack yellow fuel cell foam they shipped our cell in around the jugs - it is really porous and doesn't hold much water when you take it out and dries out pretty quick.

 

We pull the tops off - seems to get rid of heat better, we would have blocks left in jugs when we left lids on at the end of a stint, now we generally just have a little piece of ice left.

 

Also bought a $100 craigslist freezer about the size of a dishwasher.  Like was mentioned earlier - nothing better after the race than Sundae Cones?

 

 

Edited by jahnmel
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just use the cheapo Wal-Mart 12oz water bottles. The plastic is so thin you don't have to open them before freezing, they just bulge out. Have to remember to remove the labels so they don't clog up the pump though. An added benefit is when we pull the bottles out at the stop, we have a cool drink ready to go for the driver getting out.

 

We have the Cool-Shirt brand cooler which is pretty small. I think only 4 bottles fit, so we have to conserve a bit using a timer

https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-510-Variable/dp/B000FP1QT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494525913&sr=8-1&keywords=livewell+timer

Running the pump 30s on, then a minute or two off lets us go 2hrs with a pretty small system.

 

Another good idea is to build a separate cool shirt cooler for the pits for the really hot races. We have a giant cooler with a 12V pump and four 10' hoses. It is great for keeping the new driver cool before getting in the car, and cooling down the guy getting out of the car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CabotTeg118 said:

We just use the cheapo Wal-Mart 12oz water bottles. The plastic is so thin you don't have to open them before freezing, they just bulge out. Have to remember to remove the labels so they don't clog up the pump though. An added benefit is when we pull the bottles out at the stop, we have a cool drink ready to go for the driver getting out.

 

We have the Cool-Shirt brand cooler which is pretty small. I think only 4 bottles fit, so we have to conserve a bit using a timer

https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-510-Variable/dp/B000FP1QT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494525913&sr=8-1&keywords=livewell+timer

Running the pump 30s on, then a minute or two off lets us go 2hrs with a pretty small system.

 

Another good idea is to build a separate cool shirt cooler for the pits for the really hot races. We have a giant cooler with a 12V pump and four 10' hoses. It is great for keeping the new driver cool before getting in the car, and cooling down the guy getting out of the car.

 

For sprint racing the little 13 qt cool shirt cooler size is just barely enough.  For endurance racing we built two boxes from the Engel 30 QT coolers.  With the big box we don't need to run a timer in Spring races in Florida, but might consider one for Summer.

 

Ryan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We ran the small coolshirt box at charlotte last year. It was 100 degrees and we could go 2 stints before we need to change ice. 2 frozen coolant jugs and a timer 30 seconds on 2 mins off. Caps on the jugs so water level never needed to a adjusted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, turbogrill said:

And how about protection for the pump? If you have bottles/jugs they are still going to slosh around and maybe hit the pump?

Our system has the helmet air piping right next to the pump acting as a shield.  15 bottles is the most that can be packed in the cooler so not much sloshing around and beating up the pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kinda on the same topic...CoolShirt has one of their 12 station coolers for the pits set up at COTA. The reported price tag....$4500.00

 

Don't get me wrong as I love my CoolShirt, but dayuuuummm! Gotta be a government contract in their somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Kinda on the same topic...CoolShirt has one of their 12 station coolers for the pits set up at COTA. The reported price tag....$4500.00

 

Don't get me wrong as I love my CoolShirt, but dayuuuummm! Gotta be a government contract in their somewhere.

 

Id love to see a picture of how the pump manifold inside that pit cooler works.  The system is $3500 on amazon, but it includes 12 cool shirts and 12 sets of insulated hose.  It's not like the cooler box itself is 3 grand.

 

I made an adapter using a laptop power brick and a few parts from a local electronics shop so we can run one of our small cool boxes in the pit for the driver on deck.

 

Ryan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, reidry said:

 

Id love to see a picture of how the pump manifold inside that pit cooler works.  The system is $3500 on amazon, but it includes 12 cool shirts and 12 sets of insulated hose.  It's not like the cooler box itself is 3 grand.

 

I made an adapter using a laptop power brick and a few parts from a local electronics shop so we can run one of our small cool boxes in the pit for the driver on deck.

 

Ryan

Oh yeah, I forgot you get 12 shirts and the hoses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19qt Engel cooler filled with bagged ice from gas station and enough water to cover the pump at the start of the race. Lasts 2 hours. Not sure why you guys need the full flow all the time.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jakks said:

19qt Engel cooler filled with bagged ice from gas station and enough water to cover the pump at the start of the race. Lasts 2 hours. Not sure why you guys need the full flow all the time.......

'Cause racing is supposed to be hard...and complicated. You all at JAS just make it LOOK easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Doc said:

'Cause racing is supposed to be hard...and complicated. You all at JAS just make it LOOK easy.

Less than $15 part saves a lot of headache with having to freeze jugs/bottles although we have to buy ice. Pick your poison. LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jakks said:

Less than $15 part saves a lot of headache with having to freeze jugs/bottles although we have to buy ice. Pick your poison. LOL

We use most of our ice for beer. Priorities differ from team to team...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...