In all seriousness, if this is your team's first race out you are pretty much guaranteed to break the car somewhere in the huge number of scheduled hours of racing.  So sit the two 3 hour races out and just do the two 8 hour ones.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

In all seriousness, if this is your team's first race out you are pretty much guaranteed to break the car somewhere in the huge number of scheduled hours of racing.  So sit the two 3 hour races out and just do the two 8 hour ones.

Umm ... the 3H races happen during the 8 hour race, at the same time.  Unless you're suggesting he sit out 3 hours of the 8 hours?

1 minute ago, miatainium said:

Umm ... the 3H races happen during the 8 hour race, at the same time.  Unless you're suggesting he sit out 3 hours of the 8 hours?

Oops - missed that rather important fact.  So are the "other series" cars in just the 3 hour portion of the 8 hour (I'm on my mobile and can't seem to find the supplementals)?  If so, then yes I'm suggesting that he do five hours on day one and then maybe do all eight the next day if he hasn't toasted the brakes, engine, trans, etc.  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Tell me how this improves Chumpcar Canada? 

If there aren't enough entries then Sal and Wendy can't make the numbers work.  Therefore, no more ChumpCar Canada. This move can potentially attract some regional racers (e.g. CASC) and hopefully convert them to the awesomeness that is ChumpCar.  Going forward, if you want to race ChumpCar in Canada, opening these 3H races to attract more attendance is a step to ensure that you and your team can continue to do so. 

As an aside, CASC has expanded their 3H enduro races (since last year) to allow ChumpCar teams to race without the required license.  They're attempting to eat some of ChumpCar's lunch, I think it's only fair that ChumpCar do the same :)

• Like 1

No issues for MBrothers Racing having the extra cars on track for the 3 hour race, or with any potential speed differentials.  I think that it's a great way to attract new blood to Chumpcar and to fill up the track if the field is a bit on the small size.   But I do have one question which I couldn't find any info about.  How do you drop the Checkered Flag on the 3 hour race while the 8 hour race is still running?  Does anybody know what the plan is?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BartMW said:

How do you drop the Checkered Flag on the 3 hour race while the 8 hour race is still running?  Does anybody know what the plan is?

If you see a checker and you haven't had lunch yet, it's not for you. ;) 

• Like 4

So you could win 3 times in two races, in one weekend potentially ?  Awesome !   It could be done !  

And I haven't read the sups but how are they actually attracting the other cars to the field, prize money, or just a trophy only and Chumpbucks ?

I think this is a great idea and if our team had our car ready we would be there. I am just want to see Chumpcar stay alive in Canada. The only thing I want to know is what is the cost to do the three hour race and car you only compete in one day? 

I'm just voicing my concern that's all.  I've alway's thought that car's in amateur racing should be of similar type and speed.  If a guy in a Formula car get's hit by a guy in a crown vic it's not going to end well.  Not that getting hit ever does but you see what I'm saying.  I just think there need's to be a cap on entry #'s and shouldn't be a huge difference in car's size and speed wise.  It's ok for guys like me who haven't found driver's for the chump race I'll still go and run the 3hr myself if I have to!

Edited by Supercivic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Supercivic said:

I'm just voicing my concern that's all.  I've alway's thought that car's in amateur racing should be of similar type and speed.  If a guy in a Formula car get's hit by a guy in a crown vic it's not going to end well.  Not that getting hit ever does but you see what I'm saying.  I just think there need's to be a cap on entry #'s and shouldn't be a huge difference in car's size and speed wise.  It's ok for guys like me who haven't found driver's for the chump race I'll still go and run the 3hr myself if I have to!

I don't disagree with this. But, I would say that the cap on entries could likely be higher than you may think it would be and realistically we won't ever hit that number. 

I hadnt thought about formula cars. That could get interesting though...  I had more in mind like some of the GT cars and tube frame trucks that run around in regional races. 

I don't think that chumpcar should be staying out of anyone's way either. We are racing for something. If you read,they are racing for the fastest lap time. So basically they are just lapping while we are racing.

I understand the point of trying to draw more cars. I get that. I don't understand that they are not racing anyone. Its more of an event to go pro and put on Instagram showing how you passed countless numbers of cars in your 700hp bmw. 

Edited by Rich

1 hour ago, Rich said:

If you read,they are racing for the fastest lap time. So basically they are just lapping while we are racing.

interesting.  Re-read the facebook post and it says RE: 3H Birthday Part, "Cars will be mixed class and award podium for the 3 fastest cars."  You're interpretating that to mean the fastest single lap-time FTD within 3Hs wins an award.  It could also mean the cars that complete the most laps in 3 hours are the "fastest" (as in a ChumpCar race) ... probably worth clarifying with Wendy and Sal what the rules are for the 3H.

UPDATE Clarification from ChumpCar Canada:

3H Race Awards are for the highest number of laps completed, not for the fastest lap within the 3H period.  It's a race, not time attack. 

Edited by miatainium
Clarification from ChumpCar Canada
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd comment on this;;;

Earlier this year, we ran a AER race at Road Atlanta, which had some fast Radicals racing in their own 3hr race, within our race.

Our AER race also had 40something cars and track length, lap times, etc are quite similar to Mosport. 

There were no incidents. It was all very clean, everyone held their line and the Radicals slipped cleanly by.

Perhaps it was easier because they were SO very much faster than our AER field (especially through corners), but realistically, the only issue was that because they are so low , they can be a bit hard to see sometimes, depending where they catch you.

One moment there's nothing, then exit a corner and a pair of them are flying by. 

I don't know what the other cars will be at this race, but if the instructions are to hold your line and not be unpredictable (which should be the case anyway), then I have no issue.

It would however be nice if they could be easily identifiable as not being part of the Chump group only because its nice to see who you're actually competing against...or not (duh...Radicals were easy to tell apart),

I don't think people should be too worried, my understanding is a field of 25-35 cars is expected, so it's not like there are going to be 20 cars on the track that are leaps and bounds faster than the Chumps, my guess is only a handful.

• Like 1

If everyone was a proper driver then I don't see a problem at all having a faster group on track with any of us.    Problem is the few that don't have a real grasp of etiquette and or have never raced  or have limited race experience.    Those individuals might be better off not scheduled to drive while the 3 hour group is on track, have your drivers that need hand holding to make their stints after the fast group is off track.

Problem solved, you're welcome.  

• Like 2

It was said that all you need is  a cage and a fire bottle....not even the whole kit that's ccc makes us run. 

So, now that we are getting some where it shouldn't make us who have raced wheel to wheel for a few season feel any sort of way. The guys that are now turning their lapping day cars into racecars to run with us will be the ones feeling out of place. If they only have done lapping before it will be a learning curve going through traffic every single lap,hence why I said they need to watch out for us not the other way around. 

As stated it could be casc racers.I have 0 issues with that. They race,we race its all is good. 

I'm worried about the guy who shows up in his 600hp bmw and has no clue what goes on in a race. He has all the tools and none of the experience.  Come on guys let's be honest we have all seen these "heroes" at lapping days that are all over the place in their highly expensive racecars and have 0 clue what's going on.

Also...if this is to help people get into ccc. If you have said 600hp racecar why are you then building a 10k chump car?

I'm all for whatever grows this sport.I don't care that these guys are racing with us. I'm just trying to have an constructive conversation. Personally I don't think this is way to market Chumpcar but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Is this a CCC. Event or CER? Who's is registration & payment made to? The more participating the better for all involved.

3 hours ago, MBeer said:

Is this a CCC. Event or CER? Who's is registration & payment made to? The more participating the better for all involved.

Chumpcar Canada event for the 8hr.

The add on event is under Canadian endurance racing.

Quite surprised there is no official e-mail about this yet. Facebook and carryover conversation onto the forum is inadequate. I think all the teams who paid for a Double 8 Chumpcar race should know that it's not going to be just Chumpcars out there so they can discuss it with their drivers. 

16 hours ago, Ponti-Attraction said:

Quite surprised there is no official e-mail about this yet. Facebook and carryover conversation onto the forum is inadequate. I think all the teams who paid for a Double 8 Chumpcar race should know that it's not going to be just Chumpcars out there so they can discuss it with their drivers. 

The driver briefing is mandatory, the forum isn't.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:04 PM, Ponti-Attraction said:

If you're concerned, pick up the phone and call Wendy and Sal and share your concerns. I'm sure they don't want to dilute their CCC entries, but at the same time is my guess is they won't be allowing vettes or 600hp bmw's to participate either. There are plenty of regional racers who race in Chump speed cars who've never done anything longer than 3hrs that could help build the field.

Also consider this, do you think someone with a really fast and nice car wants to be on track with us? The answer is probably not. Most of those guys would take one look at our cars and move along.

We raced with split races. No big deal. It is simply a method to spread the cost and help keep CC Canada alive.

Maybe the 3 hr cars can add an  Orange  stripe across the windshield and trunk for ID. 

Edited by flyinglizard