Good morning (well it is morning here),

I would like to paint a quick picture of why I have sent this email (other than to wish you a good morning/ afternoon).

Firstly I am a motorsport lover and I have been heavily involved in Karting and at one point of time was a writer for a regional newspaper under the alias of “Motor Mouth”.

That was all some time ago and I am now 53.

Recently like a percentage of men my age I discovered I had prostate cancer and as a result had an operation and befriended many people around the world through forums.

Being a motorsport lover (and a person keen to assist the battle against this cancer) I found a group in Australia similar to your group that assists the Prostate Cancer Foundation so my goal is to create a race team and compete in several of the rounds they hold if their dates permit.    Whilst MY team will also raise funds itself in Australia we want to use the car and promotions we create as an education tool for the foundation.

As said prior I have created a few friends in the US and I have noticed that your group runs a similar type of race event to which I would like to investigate bringing an entire team over from Australia not so much for fundraising (although we will do some ourselves through holding a few sponsored dinner events) but largely for the purpose of assisting men in the education of this hideous thing called prostate cancer (if we assist just ONE person having this diagnosed early then most likely we have saved a life which the effort lone is worthwhile.

I am really not looking for anything from your group other than some guidance on race dates (maybe even 2018) along with some solid advice on purchasing a car and selling it at the end (would be great to bring over a V8 Holden Monaro etc. but I think the cost would be to high).

All drivers of course would have race skills (although we can’t offer Daniel Ricardo) but safety, fun and good-hearted competiveness will be our creed on race day/s.

Who knows we may even be your first international team. 

• Like 6

It would be pretty easy to make one of these into a Holden! Ship over a new grill and done! A Ute would be more fitting though. ;)

Would be an awesome trip to do. 

Any tracks in particular Lars you are thinking about? Chump runs at some pretty epic places. Daytona on the big banking. Watkins Glen. Laguna Seca. To name a few of the big names. There are regularly decent cars up for sale for good prices on the for sale part of the forum. There might even be a shop or two (that run chump) that could prep it for you for a fee. I guess it depends on where you want to run though so having a car located there would make logistics easier. 

On 6/14/2017 at 6:11 AM, Australia- Team Destroyer said:

I am really not looking for anything from your group other than some guidance on race dates (maybe even 2018) along with some solid advice on purchasing a car and selling it at the end (would be great to bring over a V8 Holden Monaro etc. but I think the cost would be to high).

All drivers of course would have race skills (although we can’t offer Daniel Ricardo) but safety, fun and good-hearted competiveness will be our creed on race day/s.  

The ChumpCar US schedule can be found here. There are plenty of events remaining this year all across the country depending on your destination and time frame of travel.  https://chumpcar.com/pdf/2017ChumpCarSchedule.pdf

Firstly, it sounds like you've got a good heart and a worthy cause given your beating prostate cancer. Kudos for wanting to give back and making a difference.  

Maybe you could clarify what is your intended plan?  It sounds like you have a group of drivers that want to travel to the US to compete in an event, which is great. It also sounds like you want to buy a street car, prepare it, and then race? If that's so, wow that's a big undertaking. Are you planning on renting a garage, buying all the required gear, welding in a cage, etc etc?  Do you have a reasonably unlimited budget?  Are you very competent mechanics?  This sounds like an episode of Top Gear. IMHO this is a recipe for not finishing a race, any race. Prepping a car to run 2 races of 7 to 9 hours over 2 days, or a 24 hour race ? takes time AND lots of race miles on that platform. There are many YouTube videos of guys taking a car, doing a mad rush of preparing it just in time, starting the race only to fail after a few hours if lucky. 

Something you may want to consider is renting from an established team that has a well prepared car. It will cost you less time and money, and maybe you can focus your efforts on the cancer fundraising and awareness campaign. There are many teams that would be more than willing to rent out all the stints to your team of guys.

Just my $0.02

On 16/06/2017 at 2:22 PM, miatainium said:

The ChumpCar US schedule can be found here. There are plenty of events remaining this year all across the country depending on your destination and time frame of travel.  https://chumpcar.com/pdf/2017ChumpCarSchedule.pdf

Firstly, it sounds like you've got a good heart and a worthy cause given your beating prostate cancer. Kudos for wanting to give back and making a difference.  

Maybe you could clarify what is your intended plan?  It sounds like you have a group of drivers that want to travel to the US to compete in an event, which is great. It also sounds like you want to buy a street car, prepare it, and then race? If that's so, wow that's a big undertaking. Are you planning on renting a garage, buying all the required gear, welding in a cage, etc etc?  Do you have a reasonably unlimited budget?  Are you very competent mechanics?  This sounds like an episode of Top Gear. IMHO this is a recipe for not finishing a race, any race. Prepping a car to run 2 races of 7 to 9 hours over 2 days, or a 24 hour race ? takes time AND lots of race miles on that platform. There are many YouTube videos of guys taking a car, doing a mad rush of preparing it just in time, starting the race only to fail after a few hours if lucky. 

Something you may want to consider is renting from an established team that has a well prepared car. It will cost you less time and money, and maybe you can focus your efforts on the cancer fundraising and awareness campaign. There are many teams that would be more than willing to rent out all the stints to your team of guys.

Just my $0.02

On 14/06/2017 at 9:26 PM, Cam Benty said:

My wife is battling Pancreatic cancer. She is currently in remission.  Send me a personal text with an email or a phone number. I have something to run by you car wise you may be interested in if a V8 is you preference.

On 16/06/2017 at 2:22 PM, miatainium said:

Just my $0.02

Thanks for this.   Yes we do have some very competent mechanics and engine builders but a rent option makes sense and is something I never knew could be done in the Chump Cars .   Just looking forward to getting it all together .  Thanks for the positive feedback.

On 14/06/2017 at 9:26 PM, Cam Benty said:

My wife is battling Pancreatic cancer. She is currently in remission.  Send me a personal text with an email or a phone number. I have something to run by you car wise you may be interested in if a V8 is you preference.

Thank you Cam.    I am on gavin@occskills.com.au