Jump to content

The next 400SX


Recommended Posts

Cosworth Vega:

https://janesville.craigslist.org/cto/6185296490.html

 

Somebody should grab this,100 point VPi and not hard to get down to 2200 lbs. Comes with the big bars from the factory, torque arm rear suspension, SLA front, Saginaw 4 speed, 16 gallon tank. Cosworth 16V engine is 8.3:1 with all forged internals that will run 8000 rpm all day long, stock cams and valvesprings are decent, has factory SS header. Good list of spares including another body.

 

Run the Hutton Weber set-up for 160-170 hp or open up the ring gaps and run a turbo on it for 220-230 hp; 100 points either way. Don't forget the 18 gallon fuel cell. :)

Edited by mender
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
24 minutes ago, mender said:

Cosworth Vega:

https://janesville.craigslist.org/cto/6185296490.html

 

Somebody should grab this,100 point VPi and not hard to get down to 2200 lbs. Comes with the big bars from the factory, torque arm rear suspension, SLA front, Saginaw 4 speed, 16 gallon tank. Cosworth 16V engine is 8.3:1 with all forged internals that will run 8000 rpm all day long, stock cams and valvesprings are decent, has factory SS header. Good list of spares including another body.

 

Run the Hutton Weber set-up for 160-170 hp or open up the ring gaps and run a turbo on it for 220-230 hp; 100 points either way. Don't forget the 18 gallon fuel cell. :)

 

I know someone who has one of these in Indiana I believe.  She was looking to build it for ChumpCar as well.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mender said:

If they were only two hours away from me, they'd be in my yard by now. :)

No place to put them and already have a problem child. Errr, project. 

 

Would be fun with a turbo though.

 

Edit-I see it's in Evansville. 1.5 hours or less. Half the distance I went for the Monte.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth it even if only to duplicate the clutch burst test:

"Chevrolet require all engines to survive 200 hours at full load. The Cosworth lasted over 500 hours. For a clutch burst test, Cale Wade revved the engine to 9,400 rpm under its own power without damage to clutch or engine."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, mender said:

If they're race or parts cars, no problem. Street cars are a little more paperwork but still nothing to worry about.

Then get them. I can pick them up and sit on them briefly if it helps.

 

Saw one on a lot back in 90 for 7500. Was near perfect. Cool cars in a way.

 

Far cooler the a BMW...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, mender said:

Worth it even if only to duplicate the clutch burst test:

"Chevrolet require all engines to survive 200 hours at full load. The Cosworth lasted over 500 hours. For a clutch burst test, Cale Wade revved the engine to 9,400 rpm under its own power without damage to clutch or engine."

 

Little buddy, get yourself a Honda.... find out what 11 sounds like  :P

spinal-tap-goes-to-11.jpg

Edited by Ham Sammich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ham Sammich said:

 

Little buddy, get yourself a Honda.... find out what 11 sounds like  :P

spinal-tap-goes-to-11.jpg

 Something like this?

"Last year Britt Guerlain's Bonneville Race Motor made nine back-to-back passes at over 10,000 RPM."

 

Show me a Honda from the '70s that made those kind of sounds.:P

 

P.S. my Cosworth tach only goes to 8,000 rpm then hits a stop. Ask me how I know.:)

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Then get them. I can pick them up and sit on them briefly if it helps.

 

Saw one on a lot back in 90 for 7500. Was near perfect. Cool cars in a way.

 

Far cooler the a BMW...

I really appreciate the offer but I'm reducing my fleet, and people keep trying to buy the ones I'm wanting to keep! :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too many MBs mainly. The '87 560 SEL is almost ready, getting a new windshield next week, and the '88 300CE is getting sold back to the previous owners once I rebuild the transmission. Then it's rebuild time for my 6.0 V12 and tranny that's going into my '92 300CE.

 

My bucket list of builds is getting smaller each year as I realize that I just don't have the time to do them all. Sadly letting go of some dreams.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, mender said:

Too many MBs mainly. The '87 560 SEL is almost ready, getting a new windshield next week, and the '88 300CE is getting sold back to the previous owners once I rebuild the transmission. Then it's rebuild time for my 6.0 V12 and tranny that's going into my '92 300CE.

 

My bucket list of builds is getting smaller each year as I realize that I just don't have the time to do them all. Sadly letting go of some dreams.

Bring out a Mercedes. If these guys won't change rides after getting beat by a Fiero nothing will change their ways.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mender said:

Worth it even if only to duplicate the clutch burst test:

"Chevrolet require all engines to survive 200 hours at full load. The Cosworth lasted over 500 hours. For a clutch burst test, Cale Wade revved the engine to 9,400 rpm under its own power without damage to clutch or engine."

 

Hell maybe I should buy it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I raced one in the mid-80s. It's really not all that. It's like driving a truck that revs to the moon. the Toyota 4AGE was faster in the Corolla. I also raced one of those in the Mid-80s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...