Fellow EF civic racer's

Supercivic

Which axles are you running for b series swaps.  It seems like a known issue that the cv boot's tear on this setup.  We lost both inner's this weekend and were lucky to finish.  Has anyone found one's that work better then other's?  Are you running "swap" axle's from ex raxle's or driveshaft shop etc?

2 hours ago, Supercivic said:

Has anyone found one's that work better then other's?  Are you running "swap" axle's from ex raxle's or driveshaft shop etc?

we ran driveshaft shop swap axles in our b swapped eg...lasted 1 x 7 hour race from brand new at Laguna last fall...both inner boots were split but the main issue was the outer joints had turned blue and we locked solid...grease had turned to powder....all within 7 hours...we have had axle problems in the past using wrecking yard stuff but never a 'seized' outer joint and never had this type of discoloration....I understand heat is probably the culprit but our rotors were not discolored and wheel bearings were also fine...that type of heat to blue the cv joint should have taken something else out as well (in my opinion)...or the 'swap' axles are just plain old off the rack china parts assembled in a nice package...just our experience-others may have different opinions.

we are back to stock axles rebuilt right down to the roller bearings on the inner with redline grease...getting harder to find as most have been replaced with china axles...we have those rebuilt as well for spares.....also we now 'vent' or boots as well to keep them from blowing up like a balloon in the heat and tearing on something.

We are running 94+ inter shaft.  I don't know why someone hasn't found a solution for this seeing as it's such a popular setup.  I guess I'll try some Honda boot's and look into venting them.  I sealed tripod type setup would be ideal but I'm sure developing and building those would be expensive.

6 minutes ago, curtwill said:

.also we now 'vent' or boots as well to keep them from blowing up like a balloon in the heat and tearing on something.

so do you just snip off the inner "band" on the boot?  Do you have a way to check the grease level between races or race days?

1 hour ago, Xph said:

so do you just snip off the inner "band" on the boot?  Do you have a way to check the grease level between races or race days?

we cut the small (inner) clamp...slide in a 1" long 1/16 steel roll pin (wd-40 tubes collapse) and use a large zap strap to cinch it down....can't use the Honda type liquid inner joint lube or it flows out....redline grease or something similar...we end up with a small thumbprint sized stain at the end of the vent after a session...my assumption it is vapour as the grease is still in the joint/boot....only had it on 1 side for about 5 hours before we had other issues and it seemed to work.

We haven't really had issues with tearing on the outer boots. Maybe once? No issues with the tripods. We were able to get almost two Double 7s out of a set of RockAuto axles. I think the key was we tore them apart, cleaned, and re-packed them with Redline before they ever got installed. CVs and tripods.  Repeated the process after the first weekend. Good thing because it was brown and almost liquified.  That's when we ditched the small clamp to try and help with ballooning and heat build up others had mentioned. It was losing grease the entire next weekend, just not bad enough for us to think it needed to be addressed until one of the cages exploded, tore the boot, and all the balls fell out. Lesson learned. We're switching to Raxles and going to try the zip ties and roll pin ideas.