Video, Scrapes-n-Spins 7, Chumpcar, PIR

Guest Scott  Miller

Guest posnova

10 minutes with a sledgehammer and the 61 Camaro was fine, if I remember correctly. They had to take the tire off to beat on it squarely, but didn't see them changing anything out like a wheel bearing, axle, rear diff, suspension, etc... I may be wrong.

Guest Scott  Miller

10 minutes with a sledgehammer and the 61 Camaro was fine, if I remember correctly. They had to take the tire off to beat on it squarely, but didn't see them changing anything out like a wheel bearing, axle, rear diff, suspension, etc... I may be wrong.

Well, I hope that's all that was wrong. I really hate to meet folks that way. It tends to leave a poor impression. We had to do a little delicate repair work ourselves.
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPwLFKasKg

Guest Scott  Miller

Another good one! I spent all of my time at PIR in the pits. I missed my regular dose of chumpy spins, this is a kind of substitute. Thanks!

Wait, what? Why not driving?

Guest Scott  Miller

A turbo Miata is a $500 car?

Driving seems a bit aggressive for a team that obviously has the horsepower to spare.

Our Miata was built based on the original Chumpcar rules and participated in the first event. Those rules specified "net cost" not "current value" as the $500 test. The organizers agreed it was a $500 car both before and after that first race. It doesn't meet the standard now and we took are penalty laps without issue. We just like to go racing.

Just about every speed seemed too aggressive for our Miata in the wet and we made some mistakes. We were on well worn and cheap summer tires. The car was pushing (horribly) and suffering braking lock-up with little provocation. Seriously, it was awful to drive in the wet. That combined with really peaky turbo power on a snot-slick PIR made for some frightening laps. All the best hoonage footage in the video happened in the wet and that's what I always put in the Scrapes-n-Spins videos, Maximum Hoonage. Thanks for watching!

Scott

it is a brave team to put their mistakes in a video for our viewing pleasure.

Even with thier mistakes they didnt seem like a menace on track (to me anyway) like some other miata :rolleyes:

even though we got ran into quite a few times, i really loved racing in the wet, slick conditions. when nobody can put power down it realy equalizes the field and lets driving talent shine. (or lack of glare)

thanks for owning up to your mistakes, and keep putting out those great videos!

i really loved racing in the wet, slick conditions. when nobody can put power down it realy equalizes the field and lets driving talent shine.
Agreed! As much as it was fun in the dry(SO MUCH GRIP! haha), I enjoyed the wet the most... B) Easier on the car/tires/brakes too. It may be a bit tougher on the driver though, trying to see through the rain and what not.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see our "My Little Pony" #18 Pinto made the highlight video. You can see that we deserved our "Spin Cycle" award. The back end is looking to come around any time we are not on the gas and the rain makes it happen really fast.. Too light in back and not enough tire, AND we are still learning to drive this little beast. I wish it was too much horsepower. At least we didn't take anyone out with us on any of our MANY spins ( I don't think!). Sunday in the dryer conditions we had much more fun. We really need an onboard camera, that would be funny.

Hope to see everyone next year. Two races into this Chumpy deal and we still have a lot of work to do.

Our Miata was built based on the original Chumpcar rules and participated in the first event. Those rules specified "net cost" not "current value" as the $500 test. The organizers agreed it was a $500 car both before and after that first race. It doesn't meet the standard now and we took are penalty laps without issue. We just like to go racing.

Just about every speed seemed too aggressive for our Miata in the wet and we made some mistakes. We were on well worn and cheap summer tires. The car was pushing (horribly) and suffering braking lock-up with little provocation. Seriously, it was awful to drive in the wet. That combined with really peaky turbo power on a snot-slick PIR made for some frightening laps. All the best hoonage footage in the video happened in the wet and that's what I always put in the Scrapes-n-Spins videos, Maximum Hoonage. Thanks for watching!

Scott

I was going to offer services as a driving instructor...

;)

Thanks for the video, nice work!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ParidsOtherAccount

By no answer, dooes that mean that no black flags were given to this team?? really?? MM

This topic has been covered several times already in the other PIR threads. Perhaps no one felt like repeating them selves?

• 2 weeks later...