We have been running older Motorola UHF business radios for a number of years.

They worked great!

Now, they are a bit older and beat up.  They don't hold a charge and communication has gotten difficult.

We have (7) helmet speaker / microphone sets already.  Our in car harness was just checked out and reinstalled.

I would like to buy the Sampson shark fin antenna and 2 (or 3) new radios.

I want them to be compatible with the existing car harness. (that means Motorola 2 pin Compatible and Nascar Harness compatible).

What is available? What should I be looking at?  Should I just bite the bullet and buy a set of digital radios and all the new helmet and car setups?

Thanks!

Rob R.

This year we ran WGI and plan to run Pitt Race.

We have raced all over the country over the past 4 years (Barber, Lime Rock, WGI, Laguna Seca, MSR Houston, etc.....)

Some of the tracks are pretty long (VIR, WGI, High Plains, etc...)

I should probably just bite the bullet, and get one of the in-car digital radios with a new digital radio, IMSA harness and about 5 helmet kits with the shark fin antenna.

The problem is, I just don't really wanna drop ~1K on radios when I feel like I should be able to get by with something like 2 new blackbox radios and an antenna.... (throwing good money after bad?)

Then of course, we have another car that is gonna need radios.....  crap.

This racing gets expensive!

100% coverage at any track you run at is one of the biggest reasons to go with Digital-

If you do go with digital, we are running great specials right now and remember we offer you a 15% discount.

Complete new incar Digital Setup ONLY $875 plus add a 15% discount!

http://www.sampsonracing.com/Digital-Starter-5watt-Package-for-2way-complete-p/digital-starter-package.htm

Complete extra crew radio with coil cord and headset Only $299

Edited by Shawn Sampson
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shawn Sampson said:

If you stay with the NASCAR style, you can not run digital radios  

Is this just specific to the brand of radios you sell? Why would the way the signal is transmitted have anything do to with the wiring of the speaker/mic?  

Most of the new radios in the market need 4 circuits to work properly. Higher end Motorola and Kenwood have been that way for years as well as the new digital and in car mobile radios.

We suggest endurance racers run a IMSA wired helmet kit and systems as it works in all systems and with every radio. 

Edited by Shawn Sampson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Is this just specific to the brand of radios you sell? Why would the way the signal is transmitted have anything do to with the wiring of the speaker/mic?  

Imsa is 4 conductor. Nascar is 3, using a common ground that is also used to trigger push to talk. Side effects could include; transmits as soon as plug in helmet. no comm even though radio seems to transmit. very very low volume either or both trans/rec. ect. Can cause different problems depending on the radios and/or mic kit used.

PS I've got a used Nascar system I'd sell this weekend at Portland.  You can see it work in car. Price depends on how complete you want it,  # of helmet kits and if you want it installed.  Please give me an excuse to upgrade

• Like 1

Sorry no. When a radio is using digital freq it can only talk to another digital channel. Analog channels can only talk to analog channels.

The difference is that with the new digital radios they can be programmed (each channel) to talk on digital or analog freq. So for example, if you wanted to run channels 1 through 5 on digital and channel 6 through 10 on analog then you could use the new digital radio to talk to both but not at the same time. You would need to change the channels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...