Jump to content

Road America fall race


Plum crazy
 Share

Recommended Posts

The new "condos" at Siebkens are super nice. I think we rented a 3 bdr unit last time we were there. Must have been refinished within the last few years. I don't know what the rate was... other guy on the team takes care of that stuff.

 

We're going to make a full weekend of this race and stay there Sunday night too (it's so much nicer than hurrying to load the trailer and tow home right after the race ends). Hopefully some of you guys will be there Sunday night so we aren't the only ones in the bar!

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I have been diverted from the Las Vegas race to the Road America race to do a full ChumpCast Live! show.

ERMAGHERD. The pressure to do well at this event is now overwhelming... I need to find some SSRIs and benzos.. and then get back in the garage and get this hunk of junk camera ready!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, enginerd said:

ERMAGHERD. The pressure to do well at this event is now overwhelming... I need to find some SSRIs and benzos.. and then get back in the garage and get this hunk of junk camera ready!

Not to mention your 3rd race of the year, that's like 50% more races :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 8/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, enginerd said:

The new "condos" at Siebkens are super nice. I think we rented a 3 bdr unit last time we were there. Must have been refinished within the last few years. I don't know what the rate was... other guy on the team takes care of that stuff.

 

We're going to make a full weekend of this race and stay there Sunday night too (it's so much nicer than hurrying to load the trailer and tow home right after the race ends). Hopefully some of you guys will be there Sunday night so we aren't the only ones in the bar!

 

You may be able to talk us into staying another night.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Soooo, supposing the stars align and we get out to this race... how is it for tires, brakes, and fuel consumption?

- I'm sure the fuel consumption comparison between tracks varies by car.. but we see something in the neighborhood of 20% more fuel burn than at other tracks we race

- Track is not hard on tires. Expect wear, but don't bring more tires than you normally would unless you are prone to flat spotting after long straights

- It's a hard track on brakes. If you typically change pads after 15 hours... I would check them after 10 hours at this venue. Make sure everything in the brake system is in top shape, brake failure takes out a lot of cars at this track.

 

Hope to see you guys out here, it's such a great venue!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will consume all of those items.

 

LARGE amounts of time spent at WOT= not good for fuel consumption

Three looong straights followed by 90 turns followed by ample cooling time= a wash on brake wear, but potential for acute overheating

A large amount of time spend turning right = a tough day for the LF tire

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eman911 said:

You will consume all of those items.

 

LARGE amounts of time spent at WOT= not good for fuel consumption

Three looong straights followed by 90 turns followed by ample cooling time= a wash on brake wear, but potential for acute overheating

A large amount of time spend turning right = a tough day for the LF tire

FUel management is a huge issue for us at RA.  We burn roughly 9.5 - 10 gal.hour when racing 10/10 and a bit better at 9/10.  Have yet to make it a whole day on one set of front brakes (Hawk Blue), and long periods without braking (like into T5) can peg your fun meter when you first get into cold brakes, but then quickly heat for the remainder of the track.  It is a bit harder on tires than shorter tracks, primarily because of the speeds -- but our Hankook RS4s hold up well.  All around, RA is tough on the car, tires and fuel if you drive hard.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, Crank Yankers Racing said:
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, enginerd said:

The new "condos" at Siebkens are super nice. I think we rented a 3 bdr unit last time we were there. Must have been refinished within the last few years. I don't know what the rate was... other guy on the team takes care of that stuff.

 

We're going to make a full weekend of this race and stay there Sunday night too (it's so much nicer than hurrying to load the trailer and tow home right after the race ends). Hopefully some of you guys will be there Sunday night so we aren't the only ones in the bar!

 

You may be able to talk us into staying another night.  

 

We'll be at the Siebkens as well for the duration, including Sunday night.  We're the Car Ramrod team but we'll be racing with our new car as Maximum Effort.  Looking forward to getting back out up to Road America.  Anyone else staying at the Siebkens?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soooo, Road America Central Region, fill me in:

 

Are all the flag stations easy to see?

Do the races generally start on time or 5-10 minutes late?

Do you run with a pace car?

Are the starts single file, double wide, random, or?

Is gridding first come first served?

Expect around 70-80 cars?

Last year the Central Chumpionship was at Barber and only 1/3 of the cars were Chumpion status?  In 2015 when it was at RA it had a similar kind of ratio? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Soooo, Road America Central Region, fill me in:

 

Are all the flag stations easy to see?

Do the races generally start on time or 5-10 minutes late?

Do you run with a pace car?

Are the starts single file, double wide, random, or?

Is gridding first come first served?

Expect around 70-80 cars?

Last year the Central Chumpionship was at Barber and only 1/3 of the cars were Chumpion status?  In 2015 when it was at RA it had a similar kind of ratio? 

We've slept in the paddock both times we've gone. We're cheap :)

Flag stations are very well placed, plus they have a full track lighting system. And the best flaggers in the business.

Races seem to start on time.

I think they get everyone going behind the pace car, but other than a full-course caution (which happens maybe once a race) you won't see it. Mostly local yellows. Lots of high-speed flat towing. The safety and retrieval crews are fantastic.  Re-starts are double-file I think.

You are assigned a pit stall, grid there, and roll out under yellow. Couple warm-up laps and random green flag start. Single file.

Pretty significant closing speeds to be aware of.

Ditto on check your brakes and be prepared to change them mid race. Lots of very fast places where losing them would make for a very bad day.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

You are assigned a pit stall, grid there, and roll out under yellow. Couple warm-up laps and random green flag start. Single file.

Pretty significant closing speeds to be aware of.

Ditto on check your brakes and be prepared to change them mid race. Lots of very fast places where losing them would make for a very bad day.

My guess is that, consistent with other races this year, start will be green on the first car even though most past races at RA have been random green. And I would assume that Chumpionship contenders will have the option to push their car to the front for early gridding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, karman1970 said:

We've slept in the paddock both times we've gone. We're cheap :)

Flag stations are very well placed, plus they have a full track lighting system. And the best flaggers in the business.

Races seem to start on time.

I think they get everyone going behind the pace car, but other than a full-course caution (which happens maybe once a race) you won't see it. Mostly local yellows. Lots of high-speed flat towing. The safety and retrieval crews are fantastic.  Re-starts are double-file I think.

You are assigned a pit stall, grid there, and roll out under yellow. Couple warm-up laps and random green flag start. Single file.

Pretty significant closing speeds to be aware of.

Ditto on check your brakes and be prepared to change them mid race. Lots of very fast places where losing them would make for a very bad day.

+1 on all of the above.

Flagging and safety crews are second to none!  They get to your car quickly and get you to the pits quickly.   (We did a fuel pump change in 25 min including  the flat tow in 2016 ) 

Be sure and wave to the nice lady in turn 7 on the warm up laps....she threatened to black flag us one year if we didn't wave 

Oh we will be there working this one again...so be careful with the Miata jokes I'd hate for you timer to seemingly go forever at pit out. ;)

 

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...