VIR 24 LifeLine Classic

DuncanDana

• ChampCar Staff

So... After 24 hours of racing, heavy thunderstorms, a red-flag for weather, power failures, and some computer system challenges, our annual 24-hour race is in the books. Congratulations to the overall and class winners. Results can be found here;

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4548755

And here;

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8YyuDP2TD64dWhtNFM5STZzdHc?usp=sharing

Thanks everyone!

Dana

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dogtired said:

Is this the end of E30 domination?  

Hell, I'm still bitter from the arrival of the E36 5 years ago, now we've got to keep up with the E46 :rolleyes:

Big congratulations to rbank on finally getting that VIR24 win, and the epic comeback by Simon to podium!

Edited by Gearhead_42
  • Like 3

Congratulations to all of you crazy people for running 24 hours!!!

Congratulations to all podium finishers! Cool to see so many friends up there!

A special tip of the hat to Simon Says for an amazing come back (what did happened at the beginning of the race to put you in 67th?)

Forget BMWs, who's building a Saab!?

While watching the streaming video (great job Bill, Paulie, Doc,...) there were times I wished I was there, but then, during the night in the deluge, not so much...

• Like 5

Just got home after some 20 hours along the pit lane. Fun as always! 

A big thank you to all the teams who despite our best efforts to enforce all pitstop rules maintained a very friendly attitude - you made our jobs so much more enjoyable !

@Philippe - yes, during that downpour in the middle of the night I was perfectly happy being in the pitlane and not out on the track. It looked absolutely miserable out there! But when the sun came up this morning conditions were absolutely beautiful instead. So we got it all in 24 hours - just as it should be!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Congratulations to all of you crazy people for running 24 hours!!!

Congratulations to all podium finishers! Cool to see so many friends up there!

A special tip of the hat to Simon Says for an amazing come back (what did happened at the beginning of the race to put you in 67th?)

Forget BMWs, who's building a Saab!?

While watching the streaming video (great job Bill, Paulie, Doc,...) there were times I wished I was there, but then, during the night in the deluge, not so much...

Simon had some contact early on is what I think I heard.

• Like 1

Great weekend for Team Junction/NEO motorsports team. 

We made the trek down from Toronto, Canada for our first 24hr event. 

Our goal was to finish the race....perhaps a too ambitious  of a goal.

Saturday morning while idling the car before morning practice, the car shut down without warning. We ran into a power failure that took better part of the practice time to diagnose and fix. I ended up getting 2 laps in ... Yay for a new track.

Start of the race, around lap 11 we broke a brand new driveshaft which took about 15-20mins to change. No biggie..plenty of time left in the race.

Fast forward to third stint as we made ground in the pecking order. 1:15 into my stint. Turn 1, I got dived bombed by #242 Team Blitzkrieg.. slammed into my  rear quarter and bending our rear trailing arm...

To make matters worst, the very same #242 Team Blitzkrieg dive bombed us just a little over a month ago (July 1st at Mosport) and WROTE OFF our car. 

It's a 24hr race. All you had to do was wait another 5s to pass after the turn. Instead you superman into me. Good job. 

I'd rant and rave some more about the incident, but who cares it's racing..

first time driving 2hrs in the worst stint (2-4am) of rain and darkness (we had the shittiest lights out of all the cars) Yes, I was the rolling pylon everyone was lapping for the 2hrs.

End result we continued climbing and finished 2nd in class and 27th overall

First time out and we finished. Goal achieved.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KSRD said:

Saturday morning while idling the car before morning practice, the car shut down without warning. We ran into a power failure that took better part of the practice time to diagnose and fix. I ended up getting 2 laps in ... Yay for a new track.

Start of the race, around lap 11 we broke a brand new driveshaft which took about 15-20mins to change. No biggie..plenty of time left in the race.

Fast forward to third stint as we made ground in the pecking order. 1:15 into my stint. Turn 1, I got dived bombed by #242 Team Blitzkrieg.. slammed into my  rear quarter and bending our rear trailing arm...

To make matters worst, the very same #242 Team Blitzkrieg dive bombed us just a little over a month ago (July 1st at Mosport) and WROTE OFF our car. 

It's a 24hr race. All you had to do was wait another 5s to pass after the turn. Instead you superman into me. Good job. 

first time driving 2hrs in the worst stint (2-4am) of rain and darkness (we had the shittiest lights out of all the cars) Yes, I was the rolling pylon everyone was lapping for the 2hrs.

Top 1/3rd in a 24 hr race.  I think that sounds great.  We've never done a 24, I think finishing is a great victory.   Congrats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSRD said:

I obviously wasn't there, but something you wrote made me go...  hmmmm.

I am not sure if it's dive bombing if the contact was that far forward on the car.  If their front end is beside your rear wheel, I would probably not turn in and risk "being right" while having a bent car.

The endurance race thing goes both ways.  If somebody is that aggressive early on, let them go.

2 times by the same car is hard to swallow.  I think I might have had to chat with them.

As I said, I wasn't there and d idnt see any footage.  It may just be my understanding of the situation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, csadn said:

IMSMC: A Saab won the 36-hour event, so....

#1 on my "dream build list: A Saab Sonnet V4, possibly engine-swapped (the problem isn't finding parts, but intact Taunus V4 blocks...).

That would be the same Saab team..... so, if the question is "who is building a Saab?" Rbank would be the answer....  ?

Otherwise, mostly a footnote.... 

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I obviously wasn't there, but something you wrote made me go...  hmmmm.

I am not sure if it's dive bombing if the contact was that far forward on the car.  If their front end is beside your rear wheel, I would probably not turn in and risk "being right" while having a bent car.

The endurance race thing goes both ways.  If somebody is that aggressive early on, let them go.

2 times by the same car is hard to swallow.  I think I might have had to chat with them.

As I said, I wasn't there and d idnt see any footage.  It may just be my understanding of the situation.

Since you weren't there. There was a black flag all for 15 minutes due to highly aggressive driving. 

This race was actually A huge let down for my team in terms of driving safety.  We came looking to complete 24 hours and we were constantly getting run off the road. One person got pit manuevered/ spun off track and two others hit. 

This was the worst I have ever seen in my personal chump experience

Within 20 minutes of the opening speech telling people they will penalty for aggressive driving I was being run off the road on the front straight... in front of everyone. I'm not sure who to blame, I've helped work before- so hearing radio chatter I know they try their best to control it but maybe there was just too many cars.  Or too many people renting spots in cars that they didn't care to run into someone elses hard earner labor intensive project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elcaminokid said:

Since you weren't there. There was a black flag all for 15 minutes due to highly aggressive driving. 

This race was actually A huge let down for my team in terms of driving safety.  We came looking to complete 24 hours and we were constantly getting run off the road. One person got pit manuevered/ spun off track and two others hit. 

This was the worst I have ever seen in my personal chump experience

Within 20 minutes of the opening speech telling people they will penalty for aggressive driving I was being run off the road on the front straight... in front of everyone. I'm not sure who to blame, I've helped work before- so hearing radio chatter I know they try their best to control it but maybe there was just too many cars.  Or too many people renting spots in cars that they didn't care to run into someone elses hard earner labor intensive project.

That doesn't sound good!  I was at vir for one of the first come to Jesus meetings.

That wasn't a lot of fun.

They should imposed some flat fees 

For example

team that is at fault for hitting another team, 100 bucks to the team they hit. 

This would encourage taking more responsibility. Just like tracks charge you for hitting a wall. 

Heck. Most of the time if a team comes up after and admits a mistake I'd waive that fee for them. But we never heard boo from anyone. 

• Like 1

Team Hugh Jass #337 sends a huge thank you to ChumpCar staff along with the volunteers. Excellent job this weekend with such a large field.

We had numerous battles in A class (lots of on track battles with car #470). The fight for the podium was going on all race and it was very respectful racing all around. 

We managed to get a 3 lap lead over P2 up until the final hour of the race. Our diff gave up on us and we didn't have a spare with us unfortunately. We ended up finishing 29th overall and 4th in class. 

We had a blast this weekend and look forward to many more. Finishing in the top 1/3rd in our first 24 hour race is a great result. I just can't help but feel a bit bummed about our mechanical failure 23 hours into the race while leading our class. Such is racing.

With that being said, I can't wait for next year's race!

Big shout out to @Doc for all of the support on the broadcast. We saw some people rooting for us on your Facebook page. We had a great time this weekend and one of our German members really enjoyed the interview on the broadcast. 

Edit: HUGE shout out to No Mo Money Race Engineering for selling us a spare slave cylinder around 11:30 pm. You guys were the only reason that we had a shot at A class victory. The team got it installed in 12 minutes and the car ran perfect until hour 23. Thank you guys so much! 

Edited by euronate
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That doesn't sound good!  I was at vir for one of the first come to Jesus meetings.

That wasn't a lot of fun.

Was that the one where they put everyone behind the pace car, announced overhead that everyone was driving like asshats, and warned us that it's about to get dark and to get our s**t straight.  Cause that was awesome, lol.

There was probably 500 drivers signed up for the race with varying degrees of experience and racecraft.

Last time I checked the person being passed is just as responsible as the person passing them to stay off each other.

The passee does have a throttle and brake pedal to use to help avoid contact.

I was probably getting passed once a lap by much faster cars in some really tight quarters, but the passer got by cleanly because I used my brakes and got out of the gas and got off them even If the faster car over drove some.

It is just as much the responsibly of the person being passed to avoid contact with the car passing them.

just my .2 cents

Edited by flboy7x
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, flboy7x said:

There was probably 500 drivers signed up for the race.l with varying degrees of experience and racecraft.

Last time I checked the person being passed is just as responsible as the person passing them to stay off each other.

I was probably getting passed once a lap by much faster cars in some really tight quarters, but the passer got by cleanly because I used my brakes and got out of the gas and got off them even If the faster car over drove some.

It is just as much responsibly of the person being passed to avoid contact with the car passingredients them.

just my .2 cents

Sorry...dive bomb may not have been the proper descript especially if there's no window available.....getting passed  is different especially  when I was already in the turn and being late braked and used as a bump stop.... damages shows the hit was after the center line of rear wheel hub and tail light.....but will post video once it's  available and we can continue critiquing this pass or be passed fiasco.

Fixing write off gets old quick. 

Yes, if a faster driver/car tries to late brake you which is a part of racecraft and runs out of talent and hits you in the rear or side, it is now technically called dive bombing and the driver that ran out of talent hopefully received more damage to his car than yours.

30 minutes ago, flboy7x said:

There was probably 500 drivers signed up for the race with varying degrees of experience and racecraft.

It is just as much the responsibly of the person being passed to avoid contact with the car passing them.

just my .2 cents

Did you check?  By that I mean read chapter 7 in the rule book?  Here we go again with various eastern interpretations/definitions/own rules of the road for various teams.  No wonder you guys have contact.

• Like 1