DuncanDana

VIR 24 LifeLine Classic

1 hour ago, flboy7x said:

It was easy to spot the offenders that were playing bumper cars on the track. Those were the cars(silver E46) that were dented from bumber to bumper and head to toe.

you might want to think twice before you call out cars for being offenders.  know why my car was dented so badly?  because another driver (whose team captain admitted was a novice and doing lap times in the 2:4x range) lacked situational awareness and initiated contact while i was passing him.  put me in the tire wall so hard that i was sure our weekend was over.  amazingly my team was able to patch things up and get us back on tack were we raced cleanly and competitively for the next 16 hours and finished 5th overall.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Rules don't stop contact.  Just like murders still happen event though they are illegal.   I'm so tired of these bull cookies posts saying that its a rules or enforcement issue.  Get outta here with that crap.

Mike and the easter staff were VERY on top of things with contact enforcement.  The first 2 stints of the race especially, contact was heavily penalized and then every car got a furled black waved at them as a warning to chill out.  

Things may be slightly different out west.. but here @ VIR we had 100 cars, at least 400 drivers, and an extremely competitive race.  Things are going to happen.  

Huggy and I haven't always agreed about the state of competition in chump over the past few years, but I agree with this.

They were policing contact fervently this weekend. I know this too well, because I was racing blitz for the lead early on and got crossed up when a slow car jumped out of their way and into mine when we were side by side out of 4, with me passing them. I hit the slow car as I was trying to avoid it and had to come in and do time. As much as I've bitched about contact in chump, it's just as fair I have to take the heat when I make contact, even if it takes me out of the lead of the 24.

good job by chumpcar this weekend. It was fun racing on track, even during the terrifying 2-4am "hope I can see taillights on the back stretch" stint. Good people and good competition. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

even during the terrifying 2-4am "hope I can see taillights on the back stretch" stint. Good people and good competition. 

I was out there during that stint...first time at VIR and I barely figured out the track during my day stint when i got punted..

We had the worst lights in the field and it was kind of nice to have a trailing car shine the path in front eventhough i didnt know where I was going.

Oh yes....following the disappearing red dots up the back straight....was pretty proud of myself for holding it together for the full 2hrs without any incidents other than being a moving pylon for everyone to dodge.

Props to everyone who was out during that stint.. you all amazed me on your over taking speed and patience getting around me. Very clean stint.

• Like 4

#484 Team TAU White and Orange Integra

great racing

we were running in first for 14 hours even after a tirewall incident and we had to do an alignment with a horribly bent inner tie arm.

I got in the car at 1 am and the car sucked.....i knew something was loose but stayed out.  drove bout an hour and 15 minutes before i told the crew i was headed to the paddock for major repairs.  larry got the car in the air and said the nut was loose on the tie arm and there was play.  wiggled it and inner tie arm fell from outter tie rod.  SOOOO GLAD i pitted when I did.

get that replaced....another alignment....start car and voltage is at 8......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......diagnosis.....alt died.  and NO SPARE....it is now bout 245.  my house is about an hour from track.....we hope in car and head to my house.  get spares....a new header cause the one on car is CRACKED and makes the car loud and annoying.....i hate loud cars....

get the car back together and we are on track at 535 am. 70th position and 11th in class....ohwell.....now are focus is to finish the race.

we finish the race....38th over all and 5th in class.....

fastest lap time on last lap of the race.....car was still good after 20 hours and 30 minutes of getting beat on!

heres some video from last 45 minutes of the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOv_AhCSvw&feature=share

chad

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

That is a nearly perfect description of the problem with your car. It goes fast down the straights but in the corners it is very slow and ends up in some really odd places relative to the normal racing line. That makes it really hard for other drivers to know how to deal with it. 

Well your cars go fast in the corners and slow in the straights. :P This isn’t a spec series. ;)

1 hour ago, jtower said:

you might want to think twice before you call out cars for being offenders.  know why my car was dented so badly?  because another driver (whose team captain admitted was a novice and doing lap times in the 2:4x range) lacked situational awareness and initiated contact while i was passing him.  put me in the tire wall so hard that i was sure our weekend was over.  amazingly my team was able to patch things up and get us back on tack were we raced cleanly and competitively for the next 16 hours and finished 5th overall.

It was that drivers FIRST lap on their first stint, we didn’t even have a lap time for him. Our last driver was running low 2:40’s/high 2:30’s, NOT this driver. Your driver complained ours was driving too slow even though that driver had only been on the track for FOUR CORNERS. Your driver stated he had already passed and yet somehow we have damage from your car on the back of ours. Our driver is a naval aviator so I’ll believe him what happened in situational awareness better than your driver who shrugged and said “I don’t really know what happened” after he claimed all the other stuff. Our driver was on the line, your driver shoved your car in a space that wasn’t open and then you have the gall to come on here and blame it on us. You guys were running aggressive. I experienced it on the track and let you guys go even though I would have had every technical right to let you wad both our cars up.  

Oh, and then you claimed to have video when Mike was talking to you but hours later you said the camera quit working before the contact.

Edit: And I was trying to not name names in my previous replies due to trying to shrug it off but you called yourself out. 

Edited by RandomTask

5 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

It was that drivers FIRST lap on their first stint, we didn’t even have a lap time for him. Our last driver was running low 2:40’s/high 2:30’s, NOT this driver. Your driver complained ours was driving too slow even though that driver had only been on the track for FOUR CORNERS. Your driver stated he had already passed and yet somehow we have damage from your car on the back of ours. Our driver is a naval aviator so I’ll believe him what happened in situational awareness better than your driver who shrugged and said “I don’t really know what happened” after he claimed all the other stuff. Our driver was on the line, your driver shoved your car in a space that wasn’t open and then you have the gall to come on here and blame it on us. You guys were running aggressive. I experienced it on the track and let you guys go even though I would have had every technical right to let you wad both our cars up.  

Oh, and then you claimed to have video when Mike was talking to you but hours later you said the camera quit working before the contact.

Lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Edit: And I was trying to not name names in my previous replies due to trying to shrug it off but you called yourself out. 

So post the video. 

If this is about the Corvette, it wouldn't be the first time you're defending your team on here for sketchy driving. 

S. 

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 3

Team Sparrow Speed was hoping to start our Accord project in this race. It was delivered to us with no lights and the engine wiring harness still a bucket of parts. Friday night we worked until midnight in the Racing for Heroes garage, finally getting it running and mostly ready. Still untested and without an alignment we opted to run the #216 Miata instead.

We were happy for the rain and hoping it'd keep up throughout the race; choosing to run on Z II Star Specs rather than the RE-71Rs. The wet test session ran well although the radio wiring harness was giving us spotty communications. Jason (that's me) took the lead stint and was off to fast laps in the sun. Big shout out to the white car with wing that ran with me for many of the early laps. The ZIIs ending up getting greasy when hot but that wasn't what slowed us down. Just after the 1 hour mark the motor started to overheat and I headed for the pits. Got it shut down and waited for the temp to come down. Cap off the radiator and it was bone dry. We found the leak in the radiator as soon as we started to refill it. 10 minutes later we have our new spare radiator in and back out on track to finish up the session with more fast laps. Father and team owner Tom was next in and slowed down our pace until coming in early due to driver overheat. From then on we had the coolsuit filled and ticked off laps, pitstops, and changes through the rain and into the dark; making back as much as we could.

I was back in for the first night session and before long I was coming along the front straight, 2 or 3 cars wide on the inside. I didn't think there was a car width on my right but there must have been enough for Blitzvinng to blow my doors off. I cursed their stupid amounts of speed and carried on. Not long after that I got to witness them again drive right through 3 cars on the back stretch. I was happy to not see them on the track again after that. Towards the end of my 2nd stint I caught a great run with a faster BMW on the drying track. Chasing a good laptime I cooked it in to 12 and slid off; slapping the tire wall evenly along the left side. Put it right back into gear and drove back at speed. Everything felt fine and after pulling the fender I was headed to the end of my full stint. While the crew was suiting up, coming into turn the 1 apex very predictably the #851 failed to yield and hit our right rear. When I got in and explained it to Dan I accepted it as a racing incident explaining that I was only a little upset about the wheel they chewed up.

Again, the laps marched on. At one point in the infamous 2-4am stint our driver was stuck in the mud wayyy off past T17 but eventually rocked it out and drove back on. When morning came everything was still running smoothly. Then, at the 21 hour mark we developed a really bad misfire coming under the bridge. By the time it got around to T12 the motor locked up. Initial guess is oil pump.

All of this was on a junk yard engine we put in 4 weeks ago. We can't be upset with the effort we got out (hey, 21 hours is a full season for a Spec Miata and their manicured motors) and we still had a blast. Time to dive into the data, patch up the car, finish and test that Accord, and get right back at it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Huggy said:

I'm so tired of these bull cookies posts saying that its a rules or enforcement issue.  Get outta here with that crap.  Things are going to happen.  

Whatever.

It is both car's responsibility/it is the passing car's responsibility.

If the car behind was up to the rear wheel then the front car shouldn't turn/well you have to turn at some point in time.

Black flag for 15 minutes for highly aggressive driving/plenty of point by's.

Run off the straight/everyone was very courteous.

Just saying, from the outside you guys look confused.  It doesn't make me want to come out east, maybe you have enough teams in your club and you don't need anyone else.

4 hours ago, Huggy said:

Mike and the easter staff were VERY on top of things with contact enforcement.  The first 2 stints of the race especially, contact was heavily penalized and then every car got a furled black waved at them as a warning to chill out.

THIS!!!!  Is what I want to hear - even if it isn't Easter :D.  This makes me want to come out east.

Hmmm interesting.... I'm not seeing anyone complaining about Rbank's driving....During what stint did they take the lead?  Did they drive and execute a strategy as though it were a 24 hour race?

Why on earth was there so much contact in the first 2 to 4 hours that everyone needed a warning with a furled black flag?  

Also when there were 500 or whatever the number was drivers, the contact was likely pretty low as a "percentage"  Seems like it could have been lower with a few deep breathes in the drivers seat.  

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Snorman said:

So post the video. 

If this is about the Corvette, it wouldn't be the first time you're defending your team on here for sketchy driving. 

S. 

Gotcha. So they can blame us even when none of their story lines up, even though all of us did absolutely everything we could to keep it clean, etc. 

We did everything we could this year to stay away from people, getting out of peoples way, etc. The fact that the entire grid was black flagged for aggressive driving when we werent even on the track doesn't suggest a thing. Nope. Its the corvettes fault. 

I can and have taken criticism and readily admit we werent the best last year and I beat it into everyones head to keep it clean this year.  That said, Im not going to let us be the whipping boy by some team who even the officials noted for their aggressive driving. 

3 hours ago, Snorman said:

This was EI Racing's first 24-hour and first VIR event. Several of our drivers had never even driven the track. 

We finished 15th overall. 

We maintained ten solid 5-minutes driver change/fueling stops with the 2nd to last stop being the only exception. Upon pulling out of the stall, I noticed the car bucking and hesitating and immediately stopped and the team pushed the car back. Diagnosis: we had water in our fuel tank. We suspect that it was in the barrels from which we got fuel and that belonged to our friends' team. Their 2nd car broke and they had excess fuel and offered it to us. Lesson learned: control you own fuel supply. 

Our car and drivers were solid. We had one or two minor off-tracks/spins with zero incident or damage. One of our drivers had car-to-car contact twice with the 503 Civic and our understanding from Chump staff was that car was going to be penalized. We will review video. 

It was a great weekend, albeit very tiring. The lifesaver was that we rented an upper/lower villa on the esses so was very nice to be able to go up, shower, eat, relax, rinse, repeat. 

Hats off to the Chump Staff for another well-run event. We'll be back at Sebring next month with 2 cars...our EI Racing team car #407 and InActive Motorsports team car #626.

S.  

I witnessed one of the incidents with the 300zx and Civic.  Not my place to make judgement, but here is the video.  shortly after 20:55 mark if it doesn't take you the right spot.  

I ran in the Catvalier, this was the first time to VIR for all the drivers with a mixed level of experience.  We broke down at roughly 9 hours in and weren't prepared to fix it appropriately.  That being said seeing VIR itself was a fun experience, too bad we couldn't get more driving.

Edited by Frostycrowd
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frostycrowd said:

I witnessed one of the incidents with the 300zx and Civic.  Not my place to make judgement, but here is the video.  shortly after 20:55 mark if it doesn't take you the right spot.  

I ran in the Catvalier, this was the first time to VIR for all the drivers with a mixed level of experience.  We broke down at roughly 9 hours in and weren't prepared to fix it appropriately.  That being said seeing VIR itself was a fun experience, too bad we couldn't get more driving.

Thank for the video. 

I'm probably biased since it's a teammate. He stated that he was carrying more speed at the top of the esses and moved left to go under and past a slower moving yellow Miata that was in front of the Honda and as he proceeded to pass both the Honda moved left and and into our car. The video appears to support that but there are probably other viewpoints as well. 

S. 

Schumacher Taxi (#189) wants to thank the ChumpCar and VIR staffs (and volunteers) for their outstanding work!  Fantastic race track, and the preparation and operations during the race could hardly be better.  

Congratulations to race winners and all of our fellow competitors; it amazing to see how much everyone has progressed since we did our first 24 hr race at Nelson Ledges many years ago.

LOST - I lost a yellow DeWalt LED Flashlight with a 20 volt battery probably somewhere near pit stall 10.  It has the initials "JSR" on it.  I'd certainly appreciate getting it back if someone found it.  Private message me and we can arrange shipping.  THANKS IN ADVANCE.

25 minutes ago, Frostycrowd said:

Hard to tell, but was there a yellow flag at the T10 corner station for the  car pulled off on the grass right before T11?

13 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Thank for the video. 

I'm probably biased since it's a teammate. He stated that he was carrying more speed at the top of the esses and moved left to go under and past a slower moving yellow Miata that was in front of the Honda and as he proceeded to pass both the Honda moved left and and into our car. The video appears to support that but there are probably other viewpoints as well. 

S. 

Looks like they were 3 wide going into T10, probably never a good idea.

Just now, chip said:

Looks like they were 3 wide going into T10, probably never a good idea.

I think they were 2 wide until the Honda moved over and pushed him further inside/left. 

S. 

I wonder if anyone has footage of the RX8 get bumped at midnight in left hook? I honestly don't know what happened and it was in front of a lot of traffic.  No structural damage to the car but it did move the rocker panel about 4 inches in.  It was great to claw back from 97th to finish 35th!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chip said:

Hard to tell, but was there a yellow flag at the T10 corner station for the  car pulled off on the grass right before T11?

There was a flag at turn 11. Yes I was passed under yellow.  

Edited by Frostycrowd
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, elcaminokid said:

Since you weren't there. There was a black flag all for 15 minutes due to highly aggressive driving. 

This race was actually A huge let down for my team in terms of driving safety.  We came looking to complete 24 hours and we were constantly getting run off the road. One person got pit manuevered/ spun off track and two others hit. 

This was the worst I have ever seen in my personal chump experience

Within 20 minutes of the opening speech telling people they will penalty for aggressive driving I was being run off the road on the front straight... in front of everyone. I'm not sure who to blame, I've helped work before- so hearing radio chatter I know they try their best to control it but maybe there was just too many cars.  Or too many people renting spots in cars that they didn't care to run into someone elses hard earner labor intensive project.

As someone who volunteered this weekend I know the beginning of the race probably after the first hour through when they brought a yellow out and really got after everyone that they were trying to give black flags and get a better control of the race as best they could. I think ultimately as someone who drives in these races as well the drivers and teams have to race the way they want to be raced and create the racing they want to see in the series. From there you have to trust that ChumpCar will do what they can to implement the rules and hold other drivers/teams accountable. I know from being on both sides of it that you can't really ask the Chump Staff to do too much more from what they are already doing. I know at one point they were still giving black flags out for incidents that happened 30minutes to an hour before hand, so you can't say that after a certain point they let things go or anything like that. 

• Like 2