Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We plan on racing in Chumpcar soon and I need a clarification on the 2X rule.

I looked up replacement shocks and struts at Autozone.com. There is a wide price range for replacement shocks and struts. Struts vary from $44 to $240. Shocks vary from $20 to $155.  

I guess the most I can spend is $479 per strut and $309 per shock?

 

Bob J

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to find your stock replacement at the national chain, you can't any shock or strut that is available for your car.

 

For the Fox Mustang it is the KYB Excel G as equivalent to the stock as the stock is no longer available, I can't use the pricing for say the Bilstein that OReilly shows for the Fox.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

You have to find your stock replacement at the national chain, you can't any shock or strut that is available for your car.

 

For the Fox Mustang it is the KYB Excel G as equivalent to the stock as the stock is no longer available, I can't use the pricing for say the Bilstein that OReilly shows for the Fox.

We have a V-6 Edge Mustang. I wonder if Fordparts.com is considered a national chain?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob J said:

We have a V-6 Edge Mustang. I wonder if Fordparts.com is considered a national chain?

 

OE manufacturer is not a chain like Napa or O'Reilly, imagine what the Porsche guys could spend if they could do the same. 

 

You would probably be the Excel G as well for OE equivalent but you can clarify with Phil.  You can go up to 2X and zero points, beyond that is 25 points per shock, 75 points per adjustable regardless of 2X.

 

Be cautious of your brake caliper pistons, they have a phenolic (plastic) spacer.  Great for minimizing heat transfer but after every race they would fall apart when we went to change pads so we upgraded to Cobra, you could go further if you wanted as your stock calipers are more expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do care about the values and carry full documentation for the national chain value of OE, installed part, and the 2X in a printed spreadsheet.  True, that nobody has ever asked to see it, but I have it on hand if they did.  I also carry receipts for fuel displacement balls, 2X for shocks, 2X struts, 2X front calipers, 2X rear calipers, 2X brake lines, plus e-mails from Phil for assigning points on obscure items, also calculations for materials added.

 

I have had maybe 5 questions in impound but they have all been a friendly, "Hey, how did you...".

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A far as the 2X parts  rule  .. Brakes and stuff.  

My point is that the stock OE values can be out of sight for pieces that can be found aftermarket, JY and ebay for the same or less and do what we need them to do.   You can pretty much find prices to  support anything short of 6 pot calipers and floating rotors.  IMHO   Killing yourself over the prices  is a wasted effort.  Maybe a good job for Dog, keep him away from the car. :)  

 

WE use stock Nissan calipers and off the shelf rotors from another car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

 

OE manufacturer is not a chain like Napa or O'Reilly, imagine what the Porsche guys could spend if they could do the same. 

 

You would probably be the Excel G as well for OE equivalent but you can clarify with Phil.  You can go up to 2X and zero points, beyond that is 25 points per shock, 75 points per adjustable regardless of 2X.

 

Be cautious of your brake caliper pistons, they have a phenolic (plastic) spacer.  Great for minimizing heat transfer but after every race they would fall apart when we went to change pads so we upgraded to Cobra, you could go further if you wanted as your stock calipers are more expensive.

We have Cobra calipers and rotors on the car now. They worked great in the citrus race we ran a few weeks ago. We are 20 points shy of being able to make all of our desired upgrades. That's probably what everyone says though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bob J said:

We have Cobra calipers and rotors on the car now. They worked great in the citrus race we ran a few weeks ago. We are 20 points shy of being able to make all of our desired upgrades. That's probably what everyone says though. 

 

unrelated, I just wanted to add that "Bobby J" was my DJ name at the radio station I worked at in the 70's.  Your ID name gave me a flashback... :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...