What have you spent to keep up?

@wvumtnbkr said this in another thread, and it's stuck in my head as a nail on the head sort of statement.  

"I spent real thousands of dollars on a swap to end up at the same place in the race that I was at 2 or 3 years ago."

Our team is in something of the same situation. We swapped motors over the winter "2.2 EcoTech in our Miata.  It actually moved us up the pecking order some but surely not to the very top. We were a 1.6 so hopelessly slow before.  The point being we got faster for a pretty good chunk of dollars but a bunch of others got faster too.   

Speed creep is the nature of the beast, as teams learn how to be better.  Better in the shop, better behind the wheel, and so on. I really think it's vital to the series the rules stay stable and don't change in a manner that helps teams go faster.   

Whats your team done, and hows it affected your finishing position?

$100 Yearly membership to iracing

$600 oculus rift + ~$500 in computer upgrades 

$200 club sport pedals

$200 thrustmaster T300 wheel

~$200 a year on go karting 

Noticed that when there is a scan of the track I am within 2 seconds of my fastest lap in the first 2 laps. 

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 1

2011 we adapted a first gen RX-7 race car from another series to ChumpCar

2014 we built a Fox Mustang specifically for ChumpCar to the max of the rules.  With rule changes through the years we changed to aluminum rad, added an oil cooler, removed the oil cooler, sourced stock headers, changed to proper headers, then changed headers again for the Explorer engine, sourced Explorer engine (new engine was coming anyway as the old one was tired), installed 99-04 Mustang front brakes which were later changed to 96+ Cobra brakes, tried fixing the stock rubber rag joint and later replaced with needle bearing u-joint, added Panhard, removed Panhard.  When the chips became free it was a dyno session as well for some tuning.

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 1

Built the Ranger  with the long term goal of V8 power of some sort.   Maybe 5K for the swap to Chevy cheap power , with ECU, exhaust  trans , gear change ( stock) .

The truck is about 15K total  at this point. 

But  the numbers are competitive.  22 gal, 250 HP, big brakes, handles great.  Big wing.  Whats not to like ?  

• Administrators

As we were doing well with a m50 I have had to spend money on a m20 and a rebuild. I have spent countless hours and money on design work for the car. This year was one of the worst years for my team due to developmental reasons.  Because of this we are doing less racing in 2018 and more money in testing and tuning at tracks. 

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

As we were doing well with a m50 I have had to spend money on a m20 and a rebuild. I have spent countless hours and money on design work for the car. This year was one of the worst years for my team due to developmental reasons.  Because of this we are doing less racing in 2018 and more money in testing and tuning at tracks. 

What is this testing you speak of?

• Like 1

That's when you sign up for a race and you are not sure if all the major systems of the car works properly.  

You specifically tell everyone on the internet that this is merely a test session for you.  Then you lose the race by 19 seconds.

At least that's how I have seen it done.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Z06LOL said:

What is this testing you speak of?

Going and spending $200-$300 on a test session rather than spending over $1000 on a race weekend to just break and people are out money without a return.  Looking at more Gingerman, Grattan, Waterford Hills, Nelson and Mid Ohio track days with approx 3 races in 2018.

• Like 3