Airflow inside the car... a teach me thread....

wvumtnbkr

What's the best way to get airflow in the interior of the car?

Our car has no air movement in it at all.

It's a 2 door with no rear openings other than the plexiglass hatch.

Mirrors are in the stock location, so no vents near the front of the window.

Ideas are appreciated!

42 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Our car has no air movement in it at all.

It's a 2 door with no rear openings other than the plexiglass hatch.

Mirrors are in the stock location, so no vents near the front of the window.

Ideas are appreciated!

Remove windshield

and lexan 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

To prevent heat and CO suffocation ?

There are many possible reasons why you would want some airflow.... depending on the specific issue(s) he is dealing with, there are different solutions which can be tried. It is also possible that whatever he is trying to solve would be solved more effectively with something other than airflow in the car.... I'm trying to analyze the root cause of the issue (whatever it may be).

13 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

To prevent heat and CO suffocation ?

What he said.  Any smells linger in the car.  

A driver commented on the lack of air movement and it really bugged me when I got back in the car.

I would like a ducted fan blowing near the back of my helmet on a switch.  Where to get the air?

Any info is appreciated!

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Any info is appreciated!

Second chump race (2010 Sebring) we met Mogren, he had a drag car hood scoop over the top of his driver, we were dying from heat, next race we copied and still have a roof scoop directly above the driver, it has evolved and now is switchable from forced front air to back vent.

For months I tried to get our old team to install a set of NACA ducts I bought so that we could get some airflow into the car. Every team day that we had it was at the bottom of the list and never got done. Last year our at Sebring, the CoolSuit stopped pumping cool/cold water after about 60-75 minutes. I had a mid-afternoon stint, was ending around the time we got the several hour red flag. I was literally destroyed. 

When you're racing at Sebring, or Daytona or VIR in 90° temps in the middle of the day IMO it's very beneficial to have ducting and airflow in the car even if you have a CoolSuit setup. 

Our rental car has NACA ducts with 2 1/2" hose that directs air onto the driver in addition to a CS. 

S. 

Rob use what we have in the neon. They a ridiculously good and cheap. We have one just above the helmet area and use it for fresh air.

If you zoom into the car pic. Right above the driver you will see it and how we use it.

Also they are cheap!!!!

link:

http://www.univair.com/categories/miscellaneous/snap-vents.html

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

• Like 2

Watching... we have identical issues (2 door coupe, no rear openings) and zero fresh air flow.  Especially annoying when the unburned fuel in the exhaust infiltrates in the braking zones :lol:

I'm adding a 3" NACA duct and hose to one of the rear quarter windows but those snap vents have potential!

We installed NACA ducts mounted in some lexan at the A-pillar corners.  I'll snap a pic tonight.  They definitely helped a bunch.

My $.02, lose the side mirrors....they can get adjusted or removed during a race pretty easily.  Cage mounted convex spot mirrors ftw.

Nice find on the airplane scoop parts.    I tried the NACA ducts in the A pillar but found no air.   We use a roof scoop  that sticks  foreward over the glass a little bit. 

My pilot guy driver bitches about slowing the truck down . But  I believe in nice cool fresh air . The added air pressure inside  has to reduce the exhaust gas / engine fumes, intrusion. The roof scoop allowed us to not use a cool suit for 3 years.  But that was the big scoop . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I would like a ducted fan blowing near the back of my helmet on a switch.  Where to get the air?

I mounted my fan to the cage right at the window opening- if it's close enough to the window it may work for you. Obviously the more recessed it is inside the car the less cool, fresh air you get.

helmet blower.PNG

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

We installed NACA ducts mounted in some lexan at the A-pillar corners.  I'll snap a pic tonight.  They definitely helped a bunch.

My $.02, lose the side mirrors....they can get adjusted or removed during a race pretty easily.  Cage mounted convex spot mirrors ftw.

Ours are adjustable electronically inside the car.  Id rather not lose that ability.

For our car, er, truck, we built a Lexan vent window because we wanted to keep chilly February Road Atlanta wind OUT.  After our first race we realized we were wrong and needed airflow inside to combat CO issues.  So I bent the vent window into a "Z" to scoop air coming off the side of the windshield.  The pic below is the Z mocked up on my DD. It seems to work well and provides some air flow towards the driver.  YMMV.

Note:  the paint on our race truck is WAY better than the paint on my DD.

20170918_123618.jpg

If your FC is like  my FB when you take out the HVAC equipment there is a big flange under the windshield on the passenger side that goes up to the cowl area, it lets  you draw air from a high pressure area that is at least filtered for the big chunks by the grill openings in the cowl. Run a hose from this flange to a blower mounted to a RAM mount so the drivers can move the fan around as needed to blow coolish air on them.

Stole the idea from Huggins, who I believe acquired the IP for this design when he absorbed drivers from Ronald’s, they probably stole it from someone else but that is as far back as I have seen it.

A Ram mount is an adjustable system that uses rubber coated balls and socket design, you could rig up all kinds of mounting options but the Ram system is pretty clean and reasonably priced. It allows you to reposition the blower wherever the driver wants the air blowing .

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-B-101U-C-1-Inch-Diameter-Double-Socket/dp/B003DWMYYM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505769778&sr=8-5&keywords=long+ram+mount

You can see the setup in this video. 

On 9/17/2017 at 2:55 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

3" brake ducts with openings in the front of the car that route thru the fender area then thru the firewall and into the cabin.  Headlight openings are ideal.  I also try to close up the A-pillar (wing window) area.   To avoid CO make sure to close up as much of the rear and underside of the car as possible.

On 9/17/2017 at 3:30 PM, JDChristianson said:

We use Naca ducts in front corners of the window openings 

The wing window is a low pressure area, most likely air is going out there.  Try some string or yarn.  The rear quarter window is better.  Front of the car or something that increases frontal area is best.  roof scoop is great!

On 9/17/2017 at 5:48 PM, pintodave said:

To those with back windows and NACA ducts, does the air being pumped in cause any issues with pressurizing the cabin? I would assume the area of air passing over the car still has a net evacuation effect? 

It is better to pressureize the cabin with freah air than have it be a vacuum and draw exhaust in.

• Like 1