5 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

He fits the cage in first then cuts the legs off to lower the cage down to finish the weld on top all the way around the tube. He then welds in the boxes and  attaches the legs to that.  

Ah, good. Sounds(and looks) like you have a very good cage builder.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

He fits the cage in first then cuts the legs off to lower the cage down to finish the weld on top all the way around the tube. He then welds in the boxes and  attaches the legs to that.  

I cut holes through the floor and lower the hoop for welding, then move it back up and install the floor plates/boxes.

I took pictures of the top of the hoop showing the complete welds if tech ever wanted visual confirmation of the part they can't see.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our welder put the two front bars in last so he cut a circular hole in the roof to complete the weld then we patched it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have info on plinth boxes versus plates? The boxes make for an easier install since you don't have to cut and then patch any holes, but at first glance they seem like a slightly weaker mounting option. Obviously once you're past a certain point the added strength doesn't matter much, but I'm not sure where that lies without actually doing the calculations.

1 hour ago, LAMR2 said:

Does anyone have info on plinth boxes versus plates? The boxes make for an easier install since you don't have to cut and then patch any holes, but at first glance they seem like a slightly weaker mounting option. Obviously once you're past a certain point the added strength doesn't matter much, but I'm not sure where that lies without actually doing the calculations.

The way I see it (not a cage builder... just an engineer and have helped on a cage) the boxes are very strong if you weld them to different "planes" of the sheet metal.

So like... a plate welds to the floor... that's nice, but a well placed, well built plinth box will weld to the floor and the rocker panel and maybe something else too. I would not be concerned with the cage tube "punching through" the top of the box if it is made with the correct specification of thick sheet metal plate stuff. One of the "sides" of your plinth box should be the rocker panel, box should not "stand alone".

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, enginerd said:

The way I see it (not a cage builder... just an engineer and have helped on a cage) the boxes are very strong if you weld them to different "planes" of the sheet metal.

So like... a plate welds to the floor... that's nice, but a well placed, well built plinth box will weld to the floor and the rocker panel and maybe something else too. I would not be concerned with the cage tube "punching through" the top of the box if it is made with the correct specification of thick sheet metal plate stuff. One of the "sides" of your plinth box should be the rocker panel, box should not "stand alone".

True. You're able to spread the force over more planes than with a simple spreader plate. As long as the top plate is thick enough to handle the full load being supported only by its edges rather than being flat on the floor it should be just as good.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 7:15 PM, hcsi99 said:

I think I found my paint scheme!  It’s mostly pearl white anyway. 

BDFB94EF-FD78-478F-AD53-9DD5CBBEB883.jpeg

Pan America?

Was hoping for V Series paint, but that would be a pain in the ass. 

Seriously, I think this is the most sanitary build I've seen. (Not throwing shade at Dave or Justin. Both also very nice.) Lot of time and effort going into it. Going to be a very nice ride.

Look forward to racing it. And will smile while it eviscerates Beemers. :D

'Murica

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I *think* that is the lemans paint scheme from back in the day.

Look up le monster...  it was an interesting year for cadillac.

• Like 2

Wayne Taylor Racing just did a photo shoot with the monster. I started digging and found this car, the sister car of the monster. 

13 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

How does the CTV get all of the fuel from the split tank?

It has a siphon pump on the left side of the tank.  

I’m planning on running some kind of surge tank and hydra mat. 

(1) Secondary Fuel Level Sensor – Left
(2) Fuel Return Pipe from Engine
(3) Fuel Feed Pipe to Engine
(4) 2-Way Check Valve – Fuel Supply
(5) Siphon Jet Pump
(6) Primary Fuel Level Sensor – Right
(7) Fuel Reservoir/Bucket
(8) Fuel Pump
(9) Fuel Strainer/Pick up
(10) Return Fuel Check Valve for Reservoir
(11) Return Fuel Jet Pump
(12) Fuel Pressure Regulator
(13) Fuel Transfer Line
(14) Fuel Strainer/Pickup

CTS Fuel System.png

Edited by hcsi99

On 12/10/2017 at 2:27 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

I *think* that is the lemans paint scheme from back in the day.

Look up le monster...  it was an interesting year for cadillac.

I knew of le Monster, but had never seen a pic.

Some interesting stuff built way back.

Hell, as I recall Greenwood had to have the crowd push the rear of his Vette around to pass the minimum turn radius test they had/have. Was always sideways so didn't have to turn all that tight. :D

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, hcsi99 said:

Wayne Taylor Racing just did a photo shoot with the monster. I started digging and found this car, the sister car of the monster. 

Got a link?

Would be cool to see.

I did!  I will be trying the KYB gas adjust (not adjustable) shocks.  They fall under tthe 2X rule, and are listed as an OE alternative.  I'll be running cut factory CTS springs to keep the car in true Chump/Champ form and to stay out of EC.  

Front Assemblies.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, Bandit said:

70 years of knowledge on display. 

Still prefer the old stuff.:D

Cool they let Taylor racing take it out for a ride. 

In 1981 Monterey Historics honored Briggs Cunningham and the had Le Monstre out on the grass at Pebble Beach along with a lot of the C3s and C4-Rs. Pretty awesome!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That car would fit right in the Star Wars universe easily.   Even looks like it's floating in the pic.   Very cool, never seen it before and I thought I had seen a lot.   

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 8:52 PM, Evilwheel said:

That car would fit right in the Star Wars universe easily.   Even looks like it's floating in the pic.   Very cool, never seen it before and I thought I had seen a lot.   

Caddy has always been awesome. 

Well  when they want to be.

Currently, they want. And did ok with a privateer effort way back.

Le Monster is Le Bad Ass.

HCSI-I hope you won't be upset when I  refer to your ride as "Le Monstre". :D

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1