1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

Black car is off to the big scrap yard in the sky. 

We salute you donor car. Gave its life so others could race.

• Like 2

After two weeks of being sick as a dog I was able to get some work done this weekend on the CTS.  The drive shaft is installed, fuel cell cage is built, and I installed the used intake I scored on ebay for $100.00.  The clutch is all bled and the transmission has been filled with fresh fluid.  I'm working on a list of fittings and lines needed to complete the fuel system.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do the exhaust.  I need to fab a system from the manifolds back and I don't know if I can trust the local muffler shop to build a system that is endurance car quality.  I ordered a Lifeline Zero 2000 4.0L fire system from @DiscoveryParts and used the Champcar discount code to save 10%.   I'll be working on the wiring as much as I can this week.  I see myself sitting at home like an old lady in a rocking chair knitting an afghan but instead I'll be depinning connectors and going through wiring looms.  

Driveshaft_zpse4fk0mlg.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%20Cage_zpsmy4k9uot.jpg

Engine%20Bay%202_zpsgp9lr0m4.jpg

• Like 1

Worked on wiring this weekend.  Most of this work consisted of sitting in an office chair with a seam ripper opening up plastic wiring conduit, only stabbed myself once.  I'm eliminating the ABS wiring and the automatic transmission wiring and also keeping in mind that I need to make it as serviceable as possible in case (and I'm sure it will happen) I need to swap the engine out quickly.  I hope to working on the wiring as much as possible this week after work.  

Wiring%202_zpstwjaejyv.jpg

Wiring%201_zpsh2lkl37m.jpg

Wiring%203_zps4loztipw.jpg

The fuel system is coming along nicely.  The mounting tabs have been added to the fuel cell cage and it just needs some sheet metal once the cell is installed. The distribution balls have been installed inside of the cell and all of the plumbing has arrived for the fuel system as well.  The wiring is going slow but we are making progress.  The body harness that goes from inside of the car to the under hood fuse box and ECM is getting much thinner.  This thing might actually start next week!  

Fuel%20Cell%20Cage%202_zpsdczihfkw.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%20Cage%203_zpsjlnesbsb.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%20Cage%201_zps7t0tvxhx.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%201_zpsahlx1nhp.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%20Balls%201_zps23gg8j5u.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%20Balls%202_zpsufbxhskx.jpg

• Like 2

We worked on mounting brackets for the coolant expansion tank, oil catch can, brake light switch, and coolant overflow bottle.  The only one that was completed and installed

was the coolant overflow bracket.  The fuel cell is installed in the fuel cell cage and the 10x4 aluminum sheet has been purchased to cover the fuel cell cage.  I mounted the fuel cell flange directly to the cage using 24 grade 8 bolts.   Is that going to be enough or do I need to add straps across the top of the tank?   

Coolant%20Overflow_zpsu8hfgdhe.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%205_zpsagkz123d.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%204_zps3vcqqjnp.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

The fuel cell is installed in the fuel cell cage and the 10x4 aluminum sheet has been purchased to cover the fuel cell cage.  I mounted the fuel cell flange directly to the cage using 24 grade 8 bolts.   Is that going to be enough or do I need to add straps across the top of the tank?   

that is plenty, same way our cell is installed.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2017 at 4:49 PM, gr1vlet said:

Behold, the next unicorn!

Good luck with the build, excited to see what comes of this. Where are you located?

ecb2d2bf2a3213878f37f9d523a580af.jpeg

I was at a friends house this weekend and was offered a beer.  I couldn't help but think I had seen that label before.  Good stuff!

Unicorn%20Beer%201_zpsx3u8yjiw.jpg

Mounting brackets are done and race car stuff installed.  Just waiting on some more fittings for the cooling system.  

Brake switch bracket since the factory switch mounted to the cast aluminum dash structure that I didn't reuse.  

Brake%20Switch%20Bracket_zpswxgzp1ce.jpg

Oil%20Catch%20Can%20Bracket_zpsb6sowdb2.

Modified the oil filter adapter to fit the factory oil pressure sending unit and the Autometer sending unit. 

Duel%20OPSU_zpsumsb76m5.jpg

Race%20Car%20Stuff_zpsqk4zl1cq.jpg

After two attempts to reuse the factory dash cover we've gone a different direction and I much happier with the outcome.  

Dash%20Template_zpsnnfjik7g.jpg

Center%20Stack%201_zpshj7atl5h.jpg

Dash%202_zps34nd9krz.jpg

Dash%204_zpseg3zcqla.jpg

Center%20Stack%202_zpsuaqxq0v1.jpg

Center%20Stack%203_zpsfll6rwdy.jpg

Center%20Stack%205_zps97gapauh.jpg

• Like 4

Wiring to make the car crank is almost complete.  It's taken some time to figure out how to get this thing to go.  It's a 2003 with a 2004 3.6L that wasn't offered in 2004 with a manual transmission.  So we had to reprogram the ECM, BCM, and theft module with a 2005 VIN that had a manual transmission and add a clutch circuit to the ECM.   

I was able to get the cool shirt box mounted, radio bracket mounted, and fire system temporarily mounted so that all the lines could be run. I'm waiting on some anti-vibration mounts for the fire bottle.  The dash cluster mount is done and will be installed after some fine tuning.  

My youngest daughter and I went to Indy for fast Friday and she made a new friend!  To bad he didn't qualify this year.  

Fernando_zpsqgmso8he.jpg

Disregard the battery sitting on the floor where the cool shirt cooler will go, it's for testing purposes only. 

Cool%20Shirt_zpsvbnm4trm.jpg

I still need to finish the interior nozzles.  

Fire%20System%202_zpskh5motqo.jpg

Fire%20System%201_zpszbfrshye.jpg

Battery%20Box_zpshzwuto0f.jpg

Cluster%20Mount_zpsnpzsghnf.jpg

• Like 4

Lookin good!

If you have the chance, put the cooler on some kind of floor standoff/spacers and foil the bottom (or even the whole outside of the cooler). An inch or 2 raised off the floor can make a big difference. Lots of heat flowing under the car (especially with the exhaust going down the middle) and it can kind of conduct up through. Our Supra's floor was flashing off spilled coolsuit water at Nelsons last year it was getting that hot during the day....

• Thanks 2

Car is looking amazing.  I’m sure you thought of this but just in case you somehow missed it: make sure you take out the OEM steering lock mechanism 

45 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Car is looking amazing.  I’m sure you thought of this but just in case you somehow missed it: make sure you take out the OEM steering lock mechanism 

Done, but thank you. 

• Like 1

Fuel cell is installed minus the top cover and the filler neck.  Fuel lines are all ran and secured, fender mount fuel fill installed!  Wiring to make the car run is complete but needs to be cleaned up and put into flex conduit.  There are still some accessory wiring projects to complete, but that can wait until the car is running.  Next up is the exhaust system, stay tuned!

Fuel%20Cell%206_zpsxxtxvlm4.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%207_zpsy2qyykb4.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%209_zpsdiwskvvx.jpg

Fuel%20Cell%208_zpsdhjzghl3.jpg

Fuel%20System%202_zpshtfjgjy5.jpg

Fuel%20Fill_zpsluxdyilg.jpg

• Like 2

Positive battery cable ran, fuel filler neck installed ( minus the metal enclosure for now ), anti-vibration mounts installed for fire bottle mount, and the exhaust system has a rough plan! We are working on tidying up the wiring as well. 

Positive%20Batter%20Cable_zps8u8teh81.jp

Fuel%20Filler%20Neck_zpszv7nbzs7.jpg

Fire%20Bottle%20Mount_zpsdfwprx6j.jpg

• Like 1

It runs!  Over to the exhaust shop today then it will be time to cut the coil springs.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

It runs!  Over to the exhaust shop today then it will be time to cut the coil springs.  

springs are open so you can run some aftermarkets.  but i'm guessing not much out there for a CTS

11 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

springs are open so you can run some aftermarkets.  but i'm guessing not much out there for a CTS

Careful.  Springs are not entirely open.  There is a minimum and maximum diameter versus stock.

• Like 1

Fantastic build and thread!    I have a question since I am in Lafayette, IN so close to your location, who was your cage builder and I'd be curious to know what he charged or maybe more so how you two worked out the details of what you wanted and needed etc.  You could hit me on a PM if you don't want to post the details, I understand.. I'm not good enough to weld a cage that might save my life just yet, so....

1 hour ago, 67Mustang said:

Fantastic build and thread!    I have a question since I am in Lafayette, IN so close to your location, who was your cage builder and I'd be curious to know what he charged or maybe more so how you two worked out the details of what you wanted and needed etc.  You could hit me on a PM if you don't want to post the details, I understand.. I'm not good enough to weld a cage that might save my life just yet, so....

PM sent! 

Our first test day at Gingerman Raceway was a great success and the car exceeded all of our expectations.  It was in the high 80's and partly sunny for most of the day.  The coolant temps stayed between 210 and 215 all day, oil temps never got above 260.  We ran the car in back to back sessions most of the day once we had done a few checks after the first two sessions.  Alex would be waiting for me in the pits and we would swap out as quick as we could and keep the car going.    The brakes are amazing and maybe a little overkill for this car.  I haven't had a chance to measure the pads yet, but after 4 hours of track time there doesn't seem to be much pad wear.   We have a few bugs to work out but we are looking forward to our first race in August at Gingerman.  

It will be 3 years in August I purchased this gem on Craig's List.  59c0381d06225_FirstDay.thumb.jpg.47ee5cacab4838c66c0158e3c4a03848.jpg

Now it looks like this.  

Test%20Day%201_zpsrojrbsin.jpg

The build has taken a toll on me after 3 years. 

Before race car build                                                                                                                                           After race car build. 

Before%20and%20After%20Race%20Car_zpsipn

Test%20Day%202_zpsx4yg82hs.jpg

• Like 4