Willow Springs Rocked

gielamonster

Wanted to post a thank you to Erik and crew for another terrific event. Chumps, I have no idea how you can pull off such well organized and drama free races time after time. John, I didn't see you there this weekend, but know that Erik and crew should be applauded.

The on track action was fun as usual. The 2.5 mile course and low car count meant there were many clear laps. Our gnome built up a nice cushion during most of the day until some electrical gremlins started to crop up. We weren't sure if it was a short or failed component, but the car was running on about 9 volts for most of the second half of the day. Not a good thing BEFORE we had to turn on the "most annoying lights ever, so bad that they are banned from all chump events in the future". We managed to cobble together an aux battery and unplugged anything absolutely not critical to make it run, unfortunately including our direct-wired transponder for a few laps... oops. In the end it was able to get back out and run for a while on full power, fighting to catch back up to the lead pack. Its almost like sport bike motors were never meant to be installed in the passenger seat of a Geo. Strange, hunh?

Congrats to the other teams, keeping any car going for most of 12 consecutive hours is a heck of an effort.

For the record, I definitely liked this one day 12-hour format. I slept in my own bed last night, and was up to watch football this morning. Although the all-nighter in Reno this summer also sounds like a really cool idea.

Thanks again to the chump crew and Willow Springs crew.

Guest 240 DL Bob

Hey this is Bob from the Phat Volvo team and I agree with DanG. The event was great and we all had a fantastic time. We are honored with our most boring car award. We learned a lot and will bring the mighty Volvo to our next event in shall we say a more competitive trim. Thanks to Erik and his crew they did a great job and we are excited to go to work on the car so it wont be a moving chicane on the next one!

I'll make a blog post full of irrelivant ramblings from someone who didn't race later today. Until then, check out some sweet panos.

http://i52.tinypic.com/104j2uu.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/16i52r.jpg

Same Photos Fullsize:
/>http://140.211.84.13/temp/panos/ChumpCar2010_WSIR_Sunset.tif
/>http://140.211.84.13/temp/panos/ChumpCar2010_WSIR_Morning.tif

Guest scuderia

Thanks all for making this our best event to date.. The track, racing and people were all first class.

We started well and were in second by the 7th lap but had a mechanical a few laps later that lost us 27 laps but this is endurance racing right?

We got things sorted out and clawed our way up to third. 2nd might have been possible if we'd have taken the night time lighting a bit more serious.. our guys who drove the nightshifts were not having fun! Scared to death was more like it... but we learn a lot at each event and are making progress.. now to steel the GEO's rally lights for the next 24 hour!

Thanks everyone,

CLERGY MC aka the Popemobile

Willow was my second ccws race and the maiden voyage for the Mister Two's Wild Ride toyota MR2. I took a Leon sale 86 Mr 2 with 17000 miles and basically did nothing but change the fluids and plugs. Turns out I should have looked it over a bit closer! The clutch came apart after only 20 minutes of racing. Luckily, a local auto zone had a new one and thanks to a glreat crew we were back on the track about 3 hours. We battled some overheating and fuel starvation for the rest of the day but that didn't stop us from battling it out for lower positions and having a great time. Another great thing was having my 73 year old father on the team and he absolutely shocked me with his skills. He turned some 1:56 lap times and said he could have easily trimmed a couple seconds with more track time. Darkness came and the combination of our crummy lights and his senior citizen eyesight meant he just couldn't do it. Next up was my youngest driver who radio'd in that it was terrifying in 8 and 9 but he stuck it out for an hour at a reduced pace. I got in wit over 2 hours to go and he was right, 8 and 9 were in fact terrifying! Especially after one of the many spins in that area, the dust would reduce visibility to less than zero at around a hundred!!! A veteran of several 24 hr. Bike races at willow, I got in the groove and was absolutely loving it and actually went faster than I did in daylight. No one else wanted to drive the last stint so I stayed in for the finish (oops, I just realized I broke the 2 hour rule, sorry) and had heaps more fun!!! It was alot of work but extremely satisfying to finish in a car that wasn't really ready.

My Flickr page:

/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/26193073@N06/sets/72157625387499302/