Can I check my transponder Ping before the start of a race?

flytime

As the title says is there a way to check it out with the Chump officials?  I know I can see the blinky light on my X2 transponder and thus it should be transmitting but I want to verify.  I don't want to have what happened to us at Thompson repeat where the transponder was blinking but Chump couldn't get a ping.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, flytime said:

As the title says is there a way to check it out with the Chump officials?  I know I can see the blinky light on my X2 transponder and thus it should be transmitting but I want to verify.  I don't want to have what happened to us at Thompson repeat where the transponder was blinking but Chump couldn't get a ping.

Did you ask the tower if it was getting a signal at Thompson?  We had the issue where we did not have a clear sight to the ground and there was a weak signal being transmitted.  We lowered the transponder to the ground with nothing obstructing it and has worked fine every race after that incident.

9 minutes ago, CWag27 said:

We have the X2 that didn't work at Sebring, even though light was flashing showing power to the unit.  Turns out I had let the subscription lapse and there is no warning from MyLaps to tell you that it will not be recorded.

A couple of years ago Mylaps restructured offering "new and improved products". The only thing improved is their income <_<

Anyone thinking of a new transponder needs to find a used old style with no lease terms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

A couple of years ago Mylaps restructured offering "new and improved products". The only thing improved is their income <_<

Anyone thinking of a new transponder needs to find a used old style with no lease terms.

How do you know if there are lease terms attached to your transponder? I have 2 of the red style ones and am not sure. 

• ChampCar Staff
On 9/27/2017 at 0:05 PM, flytime said:

So the answer to your question is Yes.

The timing system is usually up and running during the load in day before the race, at least it always is at my races, pretty sure Ben and Korn do also. Find an official, ask for the Timing & Scoring person, tell them you'd like to check the transponder. If you have it out of the car we can walk it over the line. If it's hard mounted we may have to wait for pit-lane to open and roll the car over. I checked like 4 before the Sebring race.

Dana

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 4:56 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Yeah, it sucks. A buddy of mine who used to race motorcycles donated his to our first team. 

For our current car, we bought an old-style unit that doesn't require a subscription. But it's like everything else these days...MS Office apps, Adobe, streaming...they all want to sell a subscription based product with recurring revenue. 

S. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 7:38 PM, DuncanDana said:

So the answer to your question is Yes.

The timing system is usually up and running during the load in day before the race, at least it always is at my races, pretty sure Ben and Korn do also. Find an official, ask for the Timing & Scoring person, tell them you'd like to check the transponder. If you have it out of the car we can walk it over the line. If it's hard mounted we may have to wait for pit-lane to open and roll the car over. I checked like 4 before the Sebring race.

Dana

Yup at Pitt we checked it out on Friday and all was good!! 

Thanks all

10 hours ago, krusovice said:

Check the you tubes. You can also check the signal with an AM radio tuned to no channel. 

With the new subscription-based system I'm afraid a a.m. radio test may be invalid as your transponder will be transmitting regardless of subscription service, receiver hardware can see it but scoring software will disregard if the bill is  over due .

For those that are renewing their MyLaps subscription on the X2 transponder there is more to it than just renewing the subscription on the website.  Need to remove the Race Key from the setup and hook it up to your computer via usb cable and download the new subscription into the Race Key (Directions are in the FAQ section of the MyLaps website).  Even though we had blinky lights on showing we had power and I had renewed the subscription prior to Sebring, it did not register anything in timing and scoring because I had not done all the steps. Just FYI for all using the new systems.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, CWag27 said:

For those that are renewing their MyLaps subscription on the X2 transponder there is more to it than just renewing the subscription on the website.  Need to remove the Race Key from the setup and hook it up to your computer via usb cable and download the new subscription into the Race Key (Directions are in the FAQ section of the MyLaps website).  Even though we had blinky lights on showing we had power and I had renewed the subscription prior to Sebring, it did not register anything in timing and scoring because I had not done all the steps. Just FYI for all using the new systems.

Sounds like a pain in the arse.....glad I have an older one.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CWag27 said:

Glad they solved that problem we used to have with the old ones just working all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1