Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Race Control

Board members are not paid, so yes it is a volunteer position.  All travel is covered so being on the BOD will not cost you anything (other than your time).  We meet in person at least once per year and have video conferences the rest of the time.  As I am the only full time employee currently, I handle all of the day to day operations and the BOD meets to discuss the direction of the company past and future.  Finances, rules, and anything else that will have a significant impact on our future are discussed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

What are the roles and responsibilities of people elected to the board?  Time commitment?  Travel commitment?

The secret handshake is the hardest thing to learn. Mess it up and it's a painful lesson!!!

BTW, the decoder rings are cool.

 

Sometimes it's busy; Sometimes it's not.

Just be glad the bylaws are done!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

 

 

The form allows itself to be submitted multiple times.  Assuming that means nominate as many people as you want.

 

21 minutes ago, chisek said:

 

Glitch.  One nomination per member.  If we see multiple nominations issued per member we will use their first nomination and delete the others.

 

Once a racer.... always a racer.... selective interpretation of the rules.... ^_^ :wub:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, chisek said:

 

Glitch.  One nomination per member.  If we see multiple nominations issued per member we will use their first nomination and delete the others.

 

Well poop.  You just made the nominating process an election, and gave a huge advantage to the people who announced early they wanted to run.  These processes need to be announced in advance of opening nominations, and clarified in the original email, so people (like me, and Tyler) don't go in thinking the order we nominate people in doesn't matter.

Edited by Hi_Im_Will
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

I nominated two people because I thought there were two open spots on the board. whoops. good luck to one of you.......

 

I was expecting to be able to nominate two people as well. I also expect to vote for two people for the board when the election happens. ::cough:: @chisek

 

32 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

 

Well poop.  You just made the nominating process an election, and gave a huge advantage to the people who announced early they wanted to run.  These processes need to be announced in advance of opening nominations, and clarified in the original email, so people (like me, and Tyler) don't go in thinking the order we nominate people in doesn't matter.

 

Not sure I agree, but I do agree we should have been able to nominate two people. But why should a small number of people, nominating numerous times be considered *fair*? You are in essence stuffing the nominating box as it were. One member, one vote or nomination. As noted above, I do expect to be able to vote for two nominees for the board. Remember.... the forum is about 10% (or less) of the ChumpCar membership. It's not *fair* to begin with. Also, it could be that the silent majority may surprise us all. As opinionated and distracting as the forum is, at least I know who is engaged. 

 

This is the first time we've done this so I'm sure all the input is being considered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Race Control

Your question kept me thinking last night (who needs sleep anyway).  I sent an email off to the rest of the board today to get their thoughts on the question.  My wife interpreted it as two nominations per member since there were two open seats.  So obviously there were some instructions missing from this.  My first time, can you tell?

 

Continue on as you were before.  We're collecting all of the nominations.  Once we get a consensus on this from the bod, we'll add it to the instructions (and our note for next time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

Not sure I agree, but I do agree we should have been able to nominate two people. But why should a small number of people, nominating numerous times be considered *fair*? You are in essence stuffing the nominating box as it were. One member, one vote or nomination. As noted above, I do expect to be able to vote for two nominees for the board. Remember.... the forum is about 10% (or less) of the ChumpCar membership. It's not *fair* to begin with. Also, it could be that the silent majority may surprise us all. As opinionated and distracting as the forum is, at least I know who is engaged. 

 

This is the first time we've done this so I'm sure all the input is being considered. 

 

Regardless of what the process is, it needs to be made clear before people start nominating.  The email is ambiguous on how many nominations each person can give, and the nominating system gives no indication it's limited.  I'm not arguing that a small number of people nominating numerous times is fair, simply arguing that multiple nominations is implied by the voting system and the initial communications from chump staff, potentially leading people who don't read this forum to submit multiples, with not necessarily their favorite first.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nominations only allow people to run for the office.  It is the election that will define who takes the position.  The amount of nominations is somewhat immaterial, it only becomes critical if only one nomination is allowed.  It does become a factor if only the ten with the highest amount of nominations will be shown on the ballot.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Race Control

So after conferring with the board, I have had Bill Strong update the instructions on the nomination page.

 

1.  Each member can nominate one person per open seat

2.  A member cannot nominate the same person twice

 

So this means you can submit two nominations this time around.  Looking at the data, that's what most of you were doing anyway, so it all worked out.  There was at least one person who was nominating someone multiple times, so all the duplicate nominations they submitted will be deleted but the original will be retained.

 

Remember, we're not taking only the top nominees, we're taking anyone who was nominated by at least 5 people.  Right now there are 11 people who have at least five unique nominations.  I imagine that by the end of the month there will be a large pool of candidates to pick from from it comes time to submit your ballot.

 

Thank you for working with us on this.  It's our first election and we're still learning.  We'll work the bugs out of our process and it will be smoother in the future.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, chisek said:

So after conferring with the board, I have had Bill Strong update the instructions on the nomination page.

 

1.  Each member can nominate one person per open seat

2.  A member cannot nominate the same person twice

 

So this means you can submit two nominations this time around.  Looking at the data, that's what most of you were doing anyway, so it all worked out.  There was at least one person who was nominating someone multiple times, so all the duplicate nominations they submitted will be deleted but the original will be retained.

 

Remember, we're not taking only the top nominees, we're taking anyone who was nominated by at least 5 people.  Right now there are 11 people who have at least five unique nominations.  I imagine that by the end of the month there will be a large pool of candidates to pick from from it comes time to submit your ballot.

 

Thank you for working with us on this.  It's our first election and we're still learning.  We'll work the bugs out of our process and it will be smoother in the future.

 

Thank you for the clarification. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If one assumes most teams have four people then requiring five nominations means that each qualifying candidate is likely being back by at least two race teams.  

 

Just an interesting side with having one member, two nominations, requiring five, candidate likely part of a team that hopefully backs him/her.   

Edited by Ron_e
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There you go with those assumption ideers. :P

 

I, for one, am not conferring with my team members on who to nominate. And I may not end up voting for any of the people I did nominate because it's pretty clear there are other interested parties with the requisite 5 votes for nominations who have not made their platform known at least on the forum. Candidate statements will be key to my vote. For what that's worth: 

 

1. A marketing plan to increase car counts in the West. ("We will increase CC membership and participation in the West by.....")

2. Keep it affordable.

3. Keep the rules stable. 

4. Open the kimono - log books visible (there's a big difference between knowin' and executin')

5. Keep it safe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...