ChumpCar track etiquette manual - Let's write one for the new guys.

4 hours ago, red0 said:

Thanks for the insight. What is the reasoning for such a slow pace if a tow truck is just picking up a broken car at a track without hot pulls?

If the pace car stays at 45mph, it will pass pit in just before the wrecker clears the course.  If the pace car slows to 35mph, the wrecker will clear the course and then the pace car can exit as well.  We always set out to do 45ish, but may adjust it if we can sync up with the emergency vehicle.  Gets us back to green flag racing 1 lap sooner.

• Like 3

Just now, Jamie said:

Naw. I nudged a guy twice during conditions like this tho. 

JK; I got a black flag at Laguna when a guy slowed abruptly for a yellow and Tubby and I had to swerve around him. Gave the position back before the next corner but got called in anyway.

8 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

5. Black flags

Don't yell at... 
Don't cuss at...

Don't run over the...

ChumpCar person standing at Black Flag / Pit In because you just got Black Flagged either due to an infraction or a report of car issues. 

The person standing there talking to you never saw the incident. They are being told to hold you for a certain amount of time due to something that was seen by a corner worker. 
The process is like this....
1. You (car 55)  bump into a car (car 72), spin off the track and rejoin in a dangerous way.
2. The corner worker sees this incident. Reports to the track safety person in the tower/race control that car 72 pushed car 55 off the track. 
2A. Mike Chisec notes that the following is how it really goes....
Corner - "Car 195 blue hit the orange car"
Me - "We have no #195, or a blue car"
Corner - "Oh, maybe it was 786"
Me - "I have a car 96.  Was that it?"
Corner - "Yeah! It was car 96"

Me - "96 is purple"
(I can't blame them though, we make them watch 100 cars at 100+ MPH. MikeC) 

3. The track safety person tells ChumpCar race Controller that that car 72 pushed car 55 off the track.

4. Per our rules, both cars are black flagged. That means that both cars are shown the black flag and will need to explain to the person at put-in what happened. The pit-in person will radio CCWS race control with what the drivers told him. 

5. Race control will issue the ruling and the pit in person will tell the drivers what they need to do, either sit for XX amount of minutes or go rejoin the race.

Bottom line. Don't argue, don't swear. That will just delay the situation. It can also get your team additional penalties, or, it can even get you excused from the track.

If you feel you have been wronged, video evidence is always good to show the race controller. Time can always be added back to your race if it is found that you were in the right. <--up to race director. 

You can also add Pit Out to this.  I have worked pit in and  pit out and have seen at times some arrogant behavior.  At pit in it really helps to come to a complete stop so the timer actually gets on your car.  Launching your cars as if your in a drag race does you no good.  At pit out come to a complete stop so the workers can check your wrist bands, helmet  sticker, head & neck, window net.  Cars with wings need to remember that a person is leaning over your car to remove the timer and needs to get their body clear before you leave the stall.

Edited by DEE DEE
  • Like 2

Blend lines... 

If you're a newb or an experienced racer at a new facility. Go for a walk! Take a long look at pit exit. Look at the sightlines, see how far that line goes down track. Lookup track, imagine how that will look in your mirror, where the racing line is as it relates to the blend line. Finally, WATCH a car or ten at pit exit early in the day so you can see how it works. 

Edited by Dewey Havta
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
9 hours ago, dogtired said:

#18 Expect to be passed under Yellow.

I don't agree that you need to expect it. Will it happen if you race enough? Yes. It doesn't change any way you should react under yellow, so it is not a needed point. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Dewey Havta said:

Blend lines... 

If you're a newb or an experienced racer at a new facility. Go for a walk! Take a long look at pit exit. Look at the sightlines, see how far that line goes down track. Lookup track, imagine how that will look in your mirror, where the racing line is as it relates to the blend line. Finally, WATCH a car or ten at pit exit early in the day so you can see how it works. 

Great point, and well said. 

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

I don't agree that you need to expect it. Will it happen if you race enough? Yes. It doesn't change any way you should react under yellow, so it is not a needed point. 

Says the guy who passed me.... bahahaha... it wasn't you, but it was blatant.  I was likely the third car to be passed ....

• Like 1

On Track: When making a pass leave open these three possibilities:

a. Have a reserve of acceleration to get you out of a bad situation

b. Have a reserve of braking to get you out of a bad situation

c. Have an escape route to get you out of a bad situation

Expect the car you are passing to do the most unimaginably stupid thing possible. 

• Like 7

1. Pit and Paddock setup

1. coordinate with your neighbors on pitstops if possible. If you have to pit at the same time at least prepare them. Perhaps one of you can use neighbor space

2. find your pitmates before you set up if possible to set up the space in some agreeable way

2. Race Start

1. This is a time to pay extra attention to the mirrors

2. the start of the race is not the best time to learn a new track. If possible choose a driver who has been on the track before or has the most W2W experience

3. On track

1. watch your mirrors

2. if the car fails pull off the line and if possible off the course to save fluids dripping on the track

3. there are exit points on the track – places between guard rails off line. Look for these on your track walk or full course yellow. If your car is failing you may be able to pull off at one of these places reducing risk to yourself and safety crews, and saving a full course yellow

4. Yellow flags

1. under full course yellow, keep pace with the car in front of you. Note if you are one of the slower cars ½ race speed will be lots lower than faster cars. In this case you can pace with the car in front of you at a reasonable distance

2. pay attention to the flag stations. Every lap. First laps on track look for flag stations that are populated. Try to make note of them every lap until you are familiar. Some tracks have the stations close to the track so they are easy to spot. Some (like COTA) have them far from the racing surface so extra attention is needed to locate and maintain focus on them

3. some tracks will not pull disabled cars unless there is a full course yellow. Please pay attention during the driver meeting as they will inform you of this

4. if a car loses power on track under full course yellow and can't make speed you should pass

5. if you pass under yellow do not try to give the spot back. This may create confusion if the corner workers do not see your pass but see the person retaking their spot

5. Black flags

1. touch up any scuff marks between races. This makes it easier for race officials to figure out if you were in any incidents.

2. notice where the black flag stations are.  If you had contact that would be a good time to pay more attention as you may have to come in

3. If you had minor contact you can watch and see if ChumpCar black flags you.  They try to stay on top of it but do not see 100% of the black flag worthy events

4. Also, I have experienced instances when both cars are not black flagged for contact, just one. 

6. RED flags

1. Mike Chisek does videos on this you should watch them

7. Being Towed

8. Fueling

9. EV's - Emergency Vehicles

10. Other stuff that does not include passing

1. if you create contact on course please have the common courtesy to find the car you hit and explain what happened. It is OK to apologize if it was your fault

2. watch the timing and avoid showing up at pit out with a lot of time left – you have to stay in for five minutes

3. pay attention during the driver meeting

4. remember driver skill can vary significantly, as can vehicle performance through the day. If you pass a car earlier in the day and the car catches you later in the day, accept that something has changed.

5. when parking in the paddock don't block people in.  Sometimes there are designated spaces associated with garages.  Don't park your tow vehicles, campers or cars in other spaces

6. don't leave race cars, tow vehicles, or car parts in the main aisles in the paddock, or in front of the garages. 

7. If you have contact and are unsure if there was any damage, please bring the car in and have someone check it out. 

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 3

On track:

To the best of my knowledge, no car has ever parachuted into a Chumpcar race.  So if there is a car behind you that wasn't there before (and you didn't just pass pit out), it is probably faster than you.

If you are on your own on the track and then suddenly there is a car beside you and you say "where the hell did he come from?", that means you aren't checking your mirrors enough (or you need to consider getting better ones or better placement)

Edited by Racer28173
Damn auto correct
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mostmint said:

there are exit points on the track – places between guard rails off line. Look for these on your track walk or full course yellow. If your car is failing you may be able to pull off at one of these places reducing risk to yourself and safety crews, and saving a full course yellow

Totally worth looking for these during track walks. I lost us a podium at Seca looking for one and then got lost once I found it. I also saved some laps at Calabogie when I knew exactly where one was and was able to limp back to the pits with a dead alternator.

Edited by Jamie

On track: 

1) Look ahead, do not stare at the back of the car in front of you, you will go where he goes - sometimes that's right off the track.  You will also typically wind up driving their line - right or wrong.

2) Looking as far ahead as possible will often allow you to see a problem developing and avoid it - also make seeing flag stations easier

3) As has been said - drive your line, faster traffic will find a way by.  Use hand signals, pointing a car by lets the passing car know you've seen them coming

4) When someone gives you a point by, a quick wave of thanks is a nice gesture (if race conditions allow you to do it safely)

5) On the straights, look ahead, check your gauges, check your mirrors and see where traffic is.

6) When faster traffic is coming and will likely catch you right in the braking zone/turn in point, you will be well served to either breath the throttle a little of lift/brake a little early and allow the faster car around you (point by!) and drop in behind them and get a clean line/exit from the corner - you will be faster than screwing up both your lines in the corner.

7) When passing a slower car, if you cannot clear them before the turn in point, and they are not giving you a point by, you may be better off to adjust your entry speed, get a clean run through the corner and pass them on exit

8) If you see a car coming right up behind you and then don't see them in your rear view mirror - they are probably beside you!

9) Listen!  If you don't see a car beside you, you can often hear them!

10) Always try to give your self an "out" - if the car ahead / next to you does the unexpected - where can you go?

11) Just because you race cleanly with another car one stint - do not assume the same driver is in the car your next stint and/or that the car is in the same race condition.

12) People make mistakes and you will too.  Own up to your errors, go apologize if you cause contact.  If someone hits you and comes and takes responsibility, don't be a jerk.  Everyone is here to try and have a good time, if you're not having fun you're either doing it wrong, or you may need to pursue a different hobby. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

One more "tip"...

For night races I always make sure each driver has a small keychain type flashlight they can hook to the zipper of their firesuit.  Off course, dead car in the middle of the night they have a source of light to see what's going on in the car, and to signal to the corner workers that they are moving around in the car.  This allows the workers a bit of comfort in an accident situation rather than a bent car, dark inside and they can't see any movement.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Always have a cooler full of beer waiting for the checkered flag.  Make sure you always offer the last drive a cold beer followed by a water.

Always make sure the beer is iced up before the start.  If the car goes out early, you don't want to get caught with warm beer...

• Like 7

• 1 month later...