Rule correction on the plastic value.

Ogren-Engineering

I was pretty sure that the BOD agreed that sheet /roll plastic would be reduced to the 1$ per sq  from the higher value of lexan. I just checked the most recent rules and it is still listed at the same as lexan. Can this get fixed please? 

Thanks,MM 

" 

o essentially the Board was ok with the idea to reduce the points for rolled plastic sheeting. However, the question came up about the thickness of the sheeting, and exactly what thickness would separate the current plastic at 3 points and “rolled plastic” at 1.

The result of the discussion was to request a re-write and additional information, specifically the thickness and any restrictions (if any) regarding what things could be made with (or replaced by) “rolled plastic”.

Hope this helps, Dana"

My understanding, because i was at the meeting and spoke about this subject, was that they where open to the idea, but someone had to write the petition precisely, not that they were going to fix a petition that needed more detail.  That of course, was the Board at that time.

Did all of that.  Edit. The last Email I have said that we had all of the sufficiant data and the rule would be changed . I think it simply was overlooked  in the new rules.   

The value should be 1pt per sq ft for sheet /rollplastic.

The value should be 3pt for lexan  that is not used  for legal windows. ( windows are free now?) 

The best solution might be simply change the entire plastic line to 1 pt per sq. 

Edited by flyinglizard

7 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

Did all of that.  Edit. The last Email I have said that we had all of the sufficiant data and the rule would be changed . I think it simply was overlooked  in the new rules.   

The value should be 3pt for lexan  that is not used  for legal windows. ( windows are free now?) 

The best solution might be simply change the entire plastic line to 1 pt per sq. 

Lexan has been free in any window behind the b-pillars for quite some time.

8 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

Thought someone running for board would have a firmer grasp of the rulebook....

30 minutes ago, LAMR2 said:

Lexan has been free in any window behind the b-pillars for quite some time.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2017 at 3:26 PM, LAMR2 said:

You can use lexan to close up the front quarter window areas for better aero. That's not exempt, but allowed for points.

This actually is exempt looking at 2018 rules

3.5.1.1 for forward of the net.

9.3.2. ONLY clear, transparent polycarbonate or Plexiglas is allowed in place of any rear side or hatch
window opening without additional value-add, provided...

Except for those, 4.3.2 for 2018 still states:

Materials will be charged at the following rate:
o plywood: 1 pt per sq. ft.
o sheet aluminum/steel: 2 pts per sq. ft.
o sheet plastic/polycarbonate: 3 pts per sq. ft.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, flyinglizard said:

Sent E mail yesterday .  Yes the plastic is supposed to be 1 per sq. 

H. #0417-8.  Reduce points for roll plastic to 1 point/sq. ft..   Online comments:  12 For, 5 Against.   Denied as written, with a suggestion for a rewrite to clarify product     specifications for “roll plastic.”
  The Board could not glean the product specifications from the petition, noting no strong  leaning one way or the other, concern with member revolt for yet another change, the  potential for members to use “roll plastic” to build body panels or other support parts for  their cars.  Consensus was that the petition was too vague to grant.

This is straight from the minutes of the March BOD meeting posted on the web page.

Haven't received any other petitions or made any changes to the rules.

Phil McKinney

• Like 1

I clarified to  Mike and he said it was fine . About a year ago.  

The roll plastic is  either 070. or .125.  About 12 or 22 in wide by 10 or 25 ft.   The actual cost is less then 1$ per sq. 

No matter what it should be less then 040 alloy sheet. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-25-Ft-Roll-Airdam-Body-Extension-Plastic-Black-1-8-Thick/382031950006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by flyinglizard

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, flyinglizard said:

I clarified to  Mike and he said it was fine . About a year ago.  

The roll plastic is  either 070. or .125.  About 12 or 22 in wide by 10 or 25 ft.   The actual cost is less then 1$ per sq. 

No matter what it should be less then 040 alloy sheet. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-25-Ft-Roll-Airdam-Body-Extension-Plastic-Black-1-8-Thick/382031950006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From what Phil stated above a more specific petition needs to be written. 

How could I make it any clearer? 

It cost a little over 1$ per . The points are 3per . not inline with the rest of the values, and this was discussed and paper written for it(Edit!!! 4/12/17!!!)  1 yr ago @ Daytona  . It was decided that yes it was over priced and should be reduced according to the emails. 

I forewarded the plastic specifications to Mike and some body else a while ago .  I can maybe find the emails .  

The Rule simply needs changed  to reflect that previous decision . IMHO.  

Lost the last 2 emails to Russia. but here is the earlier one.

So essentially the Board was ok with the idea to reduce the points for rolled plastic sheeting. However, the question came up about the thickness of the sheeting, and exactly what thickness would separate the current plastic at 3 points and “rolled plastic” at 1.

The result of the discussion was to request a re-write and additional information, specifically the thickness and any restrictions (if any) regarding what things could be made with (or replaced by) “rolled plastic”.

Hope this helps, Dana

Dana Morrison

ChumpCar World Series

Timing & Scoring

Eastern Region

Edited by flyinglizard
Seemed like 2 yrs but I'm old and it was 4/12/17

14 hours ago, Mopar 63 said:

Online comments:  12 For, 5 Against.  

Denied as written,
noting no strong  leaning one way or the other,

I'm paraphrasing by pulling out these parts of the quote, but jeez this was a no-brainer. Could the board not be bothered to look up roll plastic for stock cars? If Tech can decide that strut tower slots are a camber device, why can't they decide if someone is using too much plastic in their body?

image.png.a62835a1f793bb7e095ad00d3cb60702.png

image.png.7a84bb15e555dea0f2d3c05a5c3a08dc.png

The entire story,MOL ,was that I brought up the discrepancy to Mike . (after getting charged 75 pt for the air dam  and rad shrouding)   I think that one of my emails was the basis for a petition by the BOD..??

I dont know for sure.   I never wrote an actual petition and was told that the value was clearly wrong and none would be needed .

My last email was dated  4/12/17. 

Maybe "Wilson Steele" can wordsmith a decent petition.  I suk at writing.  

I also added a splitter to the air dam for the 10 pts total  :) 

Edited by flyinglizard

• 1 month later...