225hp, 3200lbs and 200 VPI "sportscar"?

40 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

The 1988 (3rd gen) v8 mustangs have 225hp, 3200lbs and are 200pts?

Sounds like a lot of power for no points?

Do they suck extremely or what's the catch?

The big catch is 15.4 gallons stock and thirsty North American iron under the hood.  In stock form you need to shift around 4300 RPM to make 1 H 55's.  I track every drop in and out of our car, I can tell when a driver has been exceeding the shift point by just a bit, I reference fuel consumption with each track and each driver.  The smaller catches are the suspension which can be dealt with on points.

• Like 1

There are workarounds to almost everything, except fuel. 

We will be bringing out another car next year and we have a number of ideas that we will be implementing to help with fuel burn. But we expect to be limited to the point that we'll require an extra stop in a 14-hour race. 

FWIW...if you're going to do a Fox-body do an '89 or later car and get mass air vs. speed density. All else is the same. 

S. 

We run the other F-body (Firebird) I wouldn't get too caught up on the weight, the 225hp can go to 300 w/o a ton of points. I would NOT use an auto and as mention get an injected car.  Plus side is parts are cheap and easy to find. There is also a BUTT load of aftermarket parts available.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The big catch is 15.4 gallons stock and thirsty North American iron under the hood.  In stock form you need to shift around 4300 RPM to make 1 H 55's.  I track every drop in and out of our car, I can tell when a driver has been exceeding the shift point by just a bit, I reference fuel consumption with each track and each driver.  The smaller catches are the suspension which can be dealt with on points.

That is a ridiculous small tank! 

Our 1980 280zx has 135hp and has 21 gallons.

Have you tried running Megasquirt to improve fuel consumption?

1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

That is a ridiculous small tank! 

Our 1980 280zx has 135hp and has 21 gallons.

Have you tried running Megasquirt to improve fuel consumption?

For sure on small gas tank.  The Ford Fox platform (same suspension and drivetrain) is also available in the 83-88 Cougar and TBird with 22.2 gallons stock.  

We have our fuel consumption under control with a custom chip (free points now) and other solutions.  Go Cougar if you can find one.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

For sure on small gas tank.  The Ford Fox platform (same suspension and drivetrain) is also available in the 83-88 Cougar and TBird with 22.2 gallons stock.  

And it's a winning combo.

Well, Fox stangs have won as well but the extra fuel helps.