Preventing rust/corrosion in cooling system.

Ian

So me being relatively new to the Endurance racing side of things, how is everyone dealing with rust and corrosion in their cooling systems?

Our car spent a large part of its life as a Stage Rally car, and therefore the cooling system was always charged with antifreeze.  When we converted the car this spring to Chump spec, we dumped the coolant and filled with water and water wetter.  When I dumped the water this week in preparation for winter, the water was very nasty, rusty, brown.  Not milky like HG failure, just very rusty.  The car ran 3 events this year and a track day without ever opening the cooling system.

I have to imagine this has a negative effect on boiling point.  Is this something everyone else has figured out how to combat, or is it a non issue, and I'm just being paranoid

1 hour ago, red0 said:

6f1d13d0-b768-4efb-85ec-32f760f12198_1.1

I said I'm new to endurance racing, not to cars.  Come on, give me more credit than that.  I was hoping the WW would provide enough corrosion protection, but I guess not.

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Sounds like your dumping out residual old antifreeze, maybe?    Maybe a good flush in the spring and then fill using water wetter 

One of the reasons I switched to endurance racing, was because the engine, and trans blew at a rally, and my wallet was tired of fixing the car every race.  So the radiator, and engine were both "new" for this year.  The engine was a fresh rebuild, and the bare block spent lots of time in a hot tank getting cleaned, and the rad was new off the shelf.  Most of the hoses were replaced as well, and the heater core deleted.  Ive been running the car for a long time, and when I dumped the coolant, it was clean and green.  The water came out very rusty brown.  Not just residual coolant.  A little discoloration would have been fine.

1 minute ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I said I'm new to endurance racing, not to cars.  Come on, give me more credit than that.  I was hoping the WW would provide enough corrosion protection, but I guess not.

One of the reasons I switched to endurance racing, was because the engine, and trans blew at a rally, and my wallet was tired of fixing the car every race.  So the radiator, and engine were both "new" for this year.  The engine was a fresh rebuild, and the bare block spent lots of time in a hot tank getting cleaned, and the rad was new off the shelf.  Most of the hoses were replaced as well, and the heater core deleted.  Ive been running the car for a long time, and when I dumped the coolant, it was clean and green.  The water came out very rusty brown.  Not just residual coolant.  A little discoloration would have been fine.

That's a little, or a lot puzzling.  

We had a lot of brown/rusty looking water in our car the first season. After a couple of flushes it seems to have cleared up. I think it's just a combination of solvent or other debris that just takes a couple of cycles to clean out. Next year will be our 3rd season, the water comes out as clean as it went in after a race or two. Averaging 3 races a year.

Corey NLS racing

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Sorry, I really did not try and be offensive. I'm a bit of a car n00b in comparison to some. I run the redline water wetter in the summer and regular antifreeze in the winter. We used to run straight water and had corrosion issues and they were fixed by running water wetter. 

4 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

That's a little, or a lot puzzling.  

Sorry, typing at work, in a hurry.  What part is puzzling.  Now I'm puzzled.

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Sorry, I really did not try and be offensive. I'm a bit of a car n00b in comparison to some. I run the redline water wetter in the summer and regular antifreeze in the winter. We used to run straight water and had corrosion issues and they were fixed by running water wetter. 

No offense taken.  My retort was 99% sarcasm.

• Like 1

Just puzzled on why it be so nasty when the system was as clean as it was.   I like the theory on small amount of solvent or detergent acting with the water and water wetter to discolor you coolant.     Was it just a bad color of did you have solids in it as well.    I'm like you, I'd have expected it to be pretty clean 

15 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:
14 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

effect on boiling point

The car ran 3 events this year and a track day without ever opening the cooling system.

Its not going to change the boiling point, it will be rust and sediment that degrade the rad,seals, gaskets and freeze plugs.

Also

It's nice having a reliable car but you have to look @ the coolant more often to catch/head this off with more frequent flushing.

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Just puzzled on why it be so nasty when the system was as clean as it was.   I like the theory on small amount of solvent or detergent acting with the water and water wetter to discolor you coolant.     Was it just a bad color of did you have solids in it as well.    I'm like you, I'd have expected it to be pretty clean 

No solids.  Just completely opaque water.  Like someone added lots of dust colored dye to the system.  We had no cooling issues to speak of.

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Its not going to change the boiling point, it will be rust and sediment that degrade the rad,seals, gaskets and freeze plugs.

Also

It's nice having a reliable car but you have to look @ the coolant more often to catch/head this off with more frequent flushing.

I always checked the level between races.  The level was up in the radiator, and appeared slightly hazy, which would be expected.  The water in the reservoir was quite clean.

I'm hoping all sustained high temps, and agitation just freed up some deposit in the block.  we will be flushing a lot more next year.

• Like 2