Control arm and heim joint points question

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

320? Pffff that is like Blitz running half throttle. 

What did it say on their dash? 80%??  

Not sure, maybe this is what you meant?   4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List  suspension component (not otherwise listed in this table), non-OE: 10 pts per corner   Seems clear to

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure we're not asking for advice on how to use points. We have plans for our car(s). However, the inconsistent points assignments by Chump tech clearly is a problem. Regardless of why were were given 10-points for a set of rear trailing arms (and I don't think the fact that our 626 had plenty of points to spare counts as a reason not to give it more points), it's pretty clear that there is a misunderstanding somewhere. 

S. 

2 hours ago, mender said:

Mmmm, 70 points:

jbody.jpg?height=226&width=400

And another 40 points:

S1030655.JPG

Let's see, that's 110 points for a full custom fabbed coilover suspension. Still have another 83 points to use ....

But but..  you only have 4 corners so how could that be more than 40 points lol

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Xph said:

But but..  you only have 4 corners so how could that be more than 40 points lol

"Not otherwise listed" means the coilovers and the front crossmember count.

I did count the hubs separately though, so knock off 20 points for those and I still have ... way too many points left.

This is getting ridiculous. :o

Edited by mender

Well just to add to the confusion / clarification, we have lowering blocks on the rear leaf suspension on the truck - 10 pts. per side was the hit.  It would be hard to just do one, but unless listed as a "pair" or "set" of "per axle", it would appear each corner is accounted for individually.

• Like 1
On 11/11/2017 at 12:01 PM, craig71188 said:

Well just to add to the confusion / clarification, we have lowering blocks on the rear leaf suspension on the truck - 10 pts. per side was the hit.  It would be hard to just do one, but unless listed as a "pair" or "set" of "per axle", it would appear each corner is accounted for individually.

20 points is pretty harsh just for lowering blocks. Maybe you could make some out of square tubing and claim materials. Glad that on my live axle car one upper link is better than two. 

When I was thinking about doing a truck a coil over 3 link was part of the plan... 

Edited by mhr650
15 hours ago, mhr650 said:

20 points is pretty harsh just for lowering blocks. Maybe you could make some out of square tubing and claim materials. Glad that on my live axle car one upper link is better than two. 

When I was thinking about doing a truck a coil over 3 link was part of the plan... 

This is why rule books grow to so many pages.  What you are outlining is commonly referred to as a "tortured interpretation" of the rules.  I believe the materials rule is for items that cannot otherwise be classified.  An example would be the aluminum bed cover we originally had on the truck - not covered anywhere else in the rules, so it was "materials".  We also considered a rear diffuser, again not mentioned in the rules, so it too would be simply the points for materials.  Since "other suspension components" are specifically called out, we took the points.

• Like 4
On 11/11/2017 at 12:59 AM, mender said:

I still have ... way too many points left.

This is getting ridiculous. :o

Then use up all those points, come out and wipe the field at every race.  Apparently the powers that be think it needs all the help it can get.  Or don't.  Nobody is forcing you to use up every available point.

Sorry, what I find ridiculous is complaining about having tons of points to use up.  Many of us would LOVE to have a couple hundred points to modify our cars.  If you want a 500point car with very little room to modify then I would suggest you go look at some Bavarian models.  /rant

3 hours ago, Bremsen said:

Then use up all those points, come out and wipe the field at every race.  Apparently the powers that be think it needs all the help it can get.  Or don't.  Nobody is forcing you to use up every available point.

Sorry, what I find ridiculous is complaining about having tons of points to use up.  Many of us would LOVE to have a couple hundred points to modify our cars.  If you want a 500point car with very little room to modify then I would suggest you go look at some Bavarian models.  /rant

I'm commenting that the free or dirt cheap parts list is too long to the point of ridiculousness. And I'm willing to trade a couple hundred points just to have what a lot of the 500 point cars have: enough fuel to run for two hours. Not going to happen because for some reason that's too scary. And if you want a couple hundred points to play with, get a Fiero. :P

If I did use up all my points, I'd probably put a couple seconds a lap on the field (full custom suspension, full aero, 280+ hp) - for the first hour, then pull in to refuel. The whining and complaining would erupt on the forum about undervalued mid-engined cars. The Bavarian owners would campaign to get the value raised to make me redo my car to slow me down while ignoring that my average lap time over a 2 hour stint is slow because of the need for fuel stops.

Then would come the cry for more free parts for them because they're already at 500 points and they want to go fast too and that's the only way for them to get more mods to do so. Then I get more free parts, remod my car to be even faster than before and the whole process starts all over again.

So doing it your way just repeats the cycle that led to the excessive free points and increases speed creep. I'm trying to point out the absurdity of continuing that trend.

The PTB won't help me in the one way that my car needs but you've all heard that rant.

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

^ I agree.  I already created a post in another topic where I showed you can change all your brakes, your engine, your trans, your rearend, your shocks, your springs, etc...  and still be under 500 points if you have 250 pts to play with...

What else is left to give away?

Hell, my car is trans and engine swapped with aero front and rear.  I still have 75 points or something to play with that I don't know what to do....

Stop giving out free things.....  If a cars value needs changed, change THAT cars value.  Don't change the value for everybody else!

• Like 3

Our diff and trans are stock, everything else is changed and I have 90 points left to play with AFTER a swap.  The car is certainly competitive, 2:55 in traffic at RA with 60-80 cars on track our first time there.  We are just short on fuel.

Our diff is stock because last year we couldn't afford the points to change it even with a STOCK engine.  That meant we had to run 5 bolt front wheels and 4 bolt rear wheels, if we didn't have four 4 bolt wheels on hand we would change the diff just because it would be easier to have 5 bolt at all four corners.

With 90 points on hand I could go to a tubular K-member to drop 40 lbs off the nose also tubular control arms, so that would be another $1600 into the car... and still have 60 points left.  It is really tough and very expensive to use up 90 points.

Edited by Ron_e
13 minutes ago, flyinglizard said:

Ron, are you sure that 5 bolt axles wont slide in your diff?  My 7.5 ranger has 5 bolts.  Rumor is that the axles are the same as the 8in 26spline maybe ?

They do work and we have those axles on hand but no point in changing now as we have 4 four bolt wheels and 4 five bolt wheels.  

8 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

That's why points shouldn't be used for fuel, your car would dominate without that limitation.

Fear the Fiero!

Honestly, do you really believe that allowing me the same amount of fuel as your car would put me at the top of the podium every time?

I honestly feel that CCWS has done a pretty good job of assigning/adjusting values on that mod/parts list.  I do think there are lots of cars with base values that are way too low.  In fact, I think very few cars should have a starting value <300pts and those should be limited to the worst cars ever produced.  Instead of complaining about parts values and having all these extra points, why don't you guys petition to have your base values raised?  Those seem to be the values that are completely out of whack, not heims or suspension components.

Edited by Bremsen