I've been reading through the discussion on one of the other candidates threads, and I don't want to hijack that thread but would like to throw some thoughts out for those that haven't voted yet.

Speed and cost creep?  What can be done?  

I think the Board has to take a pretty high level and long range view of this issue.  I believe containing speed creep is the real driver for success.  If we can keep lap times close to where they are now, I think we will be ok.  I think many of the top teams have reached a diminishing returns level on speed, so long as we don't let any more free parts into the game and put some limits on a few things.  Aero development is one that I think we should limit where its at or possibly trim back a tiny bit.  If flat bottoms were taken out of the picture I think overall areo effectiveness would be limited enough to avoid really crazy builds that once again raise the bar for speed.   Every increment in speed that we all find raises the cost because everything wears out faster. ( Pretty sure we could run a week long race in our Miata at road america if we only ran 3:25 laps)    The other thing on speed, and probably more important, safety safety safety.  We are all, well mostly, armatures and quite frankly we just don't need to go any faster.

Rules Stability

I think stable rules are extremely important to any race series.  We have a number of rules that need to be more clear for sure.   Actual rule and or direction changes may need to happen at times but this needs to be a slow and deliberate process that carefully weighs the consequences.   Right now I can't think of anything that needs this sort of change.   

The conversation on classes is always interesting, and I really think the important thing for our series is to keep the single class overall competition as the primary focus.  The classes are added fun for our team and many others but the overall is the goal.  Any class structure that takes on a larger roll will potentially upset the rule book and drive all sorts of unintended issues.   No matter the sweet structure,  if it becomes a bigger deal it will have a sweet spot for a certain car and then we could end up with 5 discussion groups all wanting changes for their class rules.  That makes my head hurt just typing it.  

Rules Enforcement

Should we have a rule limiting types of fuel.  Maybe, but only if it truly helps keep illegal engine builds in line and its enforceable.    The question of limiting how many tires can be used or changed during a race has come up.  I don't see an issue now, the choices that are out there that will last at least a weekend if not more are so close in performance to the ones that won't I just don't think its meant the difference in a podium finish or not.   I also believe in the saying "Never say Never"  things change,  someday there could be a need for a rule or tire exclusion list.  Things really do change, I never thought I'd have to admit that a Neon makes a good race car :)  That hurt, I need a moment.   We really shouldn't be so serious all the time......

Communication

This seems so obvious, but is so hard no matter what its about.  Marriage, job, racing....    At any rate I would really like to see better communication to the masses on rule interpretation and clarifications, and consistancy of both.    When questions get asked of the chumpstaff, the question and the answer should get shared with the masses.  Maybe this is once a month, maybe a summary every quarter.  

The BOD has to "direct"
Direct the overall direction and goals

Direct sound financial and legal processes

Direct long range staff and management needs. 

(Good god what we do if Mike C wins the lottery and sends the Board a "nice knowing ya" text on his way to the beach?)

Oh and we should all be having FUN doing this.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far

Jeff Christianson  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Jeff, 

What are your thoughts on allowing parts that don't increase speed, but only increase reliability?

Name the specific parts.... we have threads for days where 6 guys claim that partX doesn't increase speed and half a dozen guys claim that partX does increase speed.............

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Great post Jeff, and I am sure other candidates appreciate you not hijacking their thread.

I think you really have a good understanding of the series and a good understanding of what it takes to grow the series and keep it fun. 

Just now, enginerd said:

Name the specific parts.... we have threads for days where 6 guys claim that partX doesn't increase speed and half a dozen guys claim that partX does increase speed.............

I kept it open ended on purpose! I don't want to turn this into a debate about a specific item, i'd rather hear about his general approach but thanks for interjecting in my question :)

• Haha 1

This is endurance racing,. 7 hours, 8 hours, 24 hrs.  All endurance lengths and far beyond the specs of what production cars were meant for.   The Miata was built to go 200k under normal driving conditions with tiny little 50k or higher mileage rated tires.   It wasn't meant to run hour after with the pedal buried on the floor , springs 4 time the original stiffness and tires twice as wide that allow well over 1g of cornering forces.  Things break, so things that make it last to the checkered flag under its own power have increased its performance in an endurance race.    

I am am guessing your asking about coolers and such.   I would say the car that has  6 coolers and is still on track is way faster than the broken one.   So the "only there for reliability" parts helped make it faster.    One thing that is available to everyone that make cars more reliable is a rev limiter. 😀.       If oil coolers fall into some sort of free reliability parts category, do we also get free differential upgrades and hubs and axles and and and?   It's seems like a slippery slope to me.  

I really think we have have to stop making performance, and part of performance is getting to the finish,  parts free.   At some point teams have to choose, 1, that extra bit of tuning that gets us 3 mph on the straights or 2. getting to the end of the race.    Lots of fast cars get there now, as folks have learned and gotten much better with their builds and prep.  

• Like 6

13 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

This is endurance racing,. 7 hours, 8 hours, 24 hrs.  All endurance lengths and far beyond the specs of what production cars were meant for.   The Miata was built to go 200k under normal driving conditions with tiny little 50k or higher mileage rated tires.   It wasn't meant to run hour after with the pedal buried on the floor , springs 4 time the original stiffness and tires twice as wide that allow well over 1g of cornering forces.  Things break, so things that make it last to the checkered flag under its own power have increased its performance in an endurance race.    

I am am guessing your asking about coolers and such.   I would say the car that has  6 coolers and is still on track is way faster than the broken one.   So the "only there for reliability" parts helped make it faster.    One thing that is available to everyone that make cars more reliable is a rev limiter. 😀.       If oil coolers fall into some sort of free reliability parts category, do we also get free differential upgrades and hubs and axles and and and?   It's seems like a slippery slope to me.  

I really think we have have to stop making performance, and part of performance is getting to the finish,  parts free.   At some point teams have to choose, 1, that extra bit of tuning that gets us 3 mph on the straights or 2. getting to the end of the race.    Lots of fast cars get there now, as folks have learned and gotten much better with their builds and prep.  

Not an easy topic for sure Jeff, thanks for the explanation!

Jeff

Great point there.  Half of the reason we need all of the reliability stuff is all the stuff we’ve already gotten.  If we all had crap brakes (for example) no one would need an oil cooler.  They’d either drive slow enough to keep the brakes on the car or hit backing plates well before the oil got too hot (in my showroom stock days we could blow through a set of pads in 20 minutes if we did qualifying speeds).  Aero is a great example of something that makes the stress on the car a lot higher and thus the need for free parts go up. Already voted for you, but this thread makes me more confident that I made the right call.  

• Like 2

Has anyone ever seen a front hub on a Miata running all season 195 tires ever go bad?  Why is it if you put sticky 225 tires on them, you might make it through one race  with stock hubs if you are lucky. 

Creating speed causes reliability issues.  

I like your point of view JDC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, JDChristianson said:

What he said.  Reliability parts are performance parts and add to the cost of the car. 

And if your car has a stock $400 radiator, well I didn't choose your car.   

• Like 2

We are headed south to Barber on Thursday morning, we hope to do a little museum time Friday morning and then retech our car in the afternoon. (made changes that are going to make us ridiculously fast....well changes anyway.)   The master list has us (Team MiElan) in pit box 5, stop by and say hi.  Its always fun meeting new folks.  

Jeff

• Like 1