Will it PASS Tech?

Z-ENVY RACING

I purchased a 1970 Datsun 240Z that was turned into a race car by the Datsun dealer when new and raced in the 70's Bought it from a guy in Ohio that raced it in SCCA up until 2007. I used to own and Race the Z-YA Racing blue 240Z but sold out because the team wanted to race WRL and I prefer Chumpcar. I can either bring this up to current safety standards or build the brown turd 240Z. Any suggestions on this would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

Front.jpg

Turd.jpg

Old Car.jpg

Edited by Jalapeno King

2 hours ago, Jalapeno King said:

I can either bring this up to current safety standards or build the brown turd 240Z. Any suggestions on this would be great.

It almost sounds like you answered your own question here.  Not sure what other suggestions you are looking for, but I vote, bring the race car up to proper safety standards and run it because it's awesome.

*edit: Just noticed all of the tubing.  You'd have to look at the rules hard, but you've got a lot of points to play with.  Maybe it could work.

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

As a fellow Z racer and owner Thanks for choosing chump . I think the tube snout will cost you points if it's even allowed you should contact head tech Phil , Mopar 63 on here ,    I do rember when using old racecars was encouraged but if you are successful the tube chassis will be called out run mid pack probably not ..  is the rear of the car tube frame ?  If not take the brown turd ft clip and put it on the racer Z problem solved ...

Wow!

What fuel cell does it have? Hopefully that won't screw you over. Also WRL doesn't care much about adjustable rebound but chump does. 

Try and claim it as a 280z so you can run a l28 without swap hits, same points. 

No clue what engine is in there but ECU is free so megasquirt and a cam is a cheap power booster.

Where are you located?

Edited by turbogrill

Thanks for the welcome and all the input. Much appreciated.

We started out racing Chump back in 2013 then the majority wanted to move to WRL and it was that or find 3 other drivers. You answered my biggest fear by not saying "no way you can't run that". I really want to use the ex racer. It has an L28 with a cam. I have 2 other L28 spare motors. L28, F54 block and P90 head, stock dual roundtop carbs for endurance. Not too fast but a very reliable setup. 

I sent Mike Morrison an email and he said to trailer it to an event close to me for him to take a look and axe or OK it. This would have to be Harris Hill next March unless I get approval from Mike or Phil by sending pics. I will message Phil, thanks for that info. My plan is to hit MSR next July, my favorite track in the TX region. I was in Cypress, TX and moved to Montgomery, TX a little over a year ago. 

Thanks again........G.

3 hours ago, Jalapeno King said:

Thanks for the welcome and all the input. Much appreciated.

We started out racing Chump back in 2013 then the majority wanted to move to WRL and it was that or find 3 other drivers. You answered my biggest fear by not saying "no way you can't run that". I really want to use the ex racer. It has an L28 with a cam. I have 2 other L28 spare motors. L28, F54 block and P90 head, stock dual roundtop carbs for endurance. Not too fast but a very reliable setup. 

I sent Mike Morrison an email and he said to trailer it to an event close to me for him to take a look and axe or OK it. This would have to be Harris Hill next March unless I get approval from Mike or Phil by sending pics. I will message Phil, thanks for that info. My plan is to hit MSR next July, my favorite track in the TX region. I was in Cypress, TX and moved to Montgomery, TX a little over a year ago. 

Thanks again........G.

See you at Harris hill.

We run a 280zx with l28,cam and megasquirt. 

16 hours ago, turbogrill said:

See you at Harris hill.

We run a 280zx with l28,cam and megasquirt. 

Hope so, waiting on Phil to reply.

16 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

Welcome . Sweet car !! 

Should have plenty of points to use the tubing. Great picture with Tom'S Tiger right on it. He still race s  that car also.

FWIW I have a pair of 2in SUs . flat mount style .  

Thanks, will keep that in mind......

14 hours ago, okkustom said:

The white car behind the Z is a sunbeam tiger that is owned by a guy named Tom .. Not to be confused with Tiger Tom , a whole different racing story .. 

Do you have a last name for Tom? I would like to contact him to get more info on this car. In that pic it was driven by the previous owner Lee Feineigle in Ohio.

Edited by Jalapeno King

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Jalapeno King said:

Do you have a last name for Tom? I would like to contact him to get more info on this car. In that pic it was driven by the previous owner Lee Feineigle in Ohio.

Contact Mike Ogren ,flyinglizard on here , he can more than likely get you in touch with who would know ..

On 11/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, Jalapeno King said:

Sharing for those who haven't seen it yet. So sad in more than one way.........

On 11/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, Jalapeno King said:

Got to be worlds bigess junk yard!!

I raced motorcycle there in 79-81 and saw one winston cup race 

On 11/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, DEE DEE said:

Tom Patton is his name.  I raced against him many times years ago.  Looking forward to seeing the Z car running.  I had the pleasure of driving the Newman Sharp Z for a few laps back in the glory days of scca nationals.

Tom replied:

Lee is a different type of guy. He is very nice and we always get along. I do not know the history of the car but he often picked up cars that were good during their prime. However his preparation was suspect. Partly due to him trying to race several cars at a time. I think in 1999 at runoffs he ran 3 or 4 classes. One of course was this z car. He broke in 3 races that I can remember. Below is the race with him on my youtube channel.