1978 Chevy Monza

Before I bought my current cars I looked everywhere for a Monza. Everything I found was just to much work. If I did not have all the Fox platform I would have a go at that Monza. I am surprised we do not see more of them in our series.

That motor would come out and go straight to the scap yard. A 4.8 LS would do that car justice. Or an all aluminum 5.3 with a TKO road race unit. New spindles and up graded brakes. A Daytona or Road America special.

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, revvhappy said:

This one has shown up at CMP Lemons events a few times and went from "fast in a straight line" to "fast and kind of handles ok" with a little development. I have a video of my Supra trying to get around it for 10 laps that is quite entertaining.

monza%20at%20CMP-M.jpg

I wanna see it!! 

Yeah, that thing is fearsome in a straight line and isn’t the worst in the corners. I’ve always wanted to drive it 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, Cam Benty said:

Before I bought my current cars I looked everywhere for a Monza. Everything I found was just to much work. If I did not have all the Fox platform I would have a go at that Monza. I am surprised we do not see more of them in our series.

That motor would come out and go straight to the scap yard. A 4.8 LS would do that car justice. Or an all aluminum 5.3 with a TKO road race unit. New spindles and up graded brakes. A Daytona or Road America special.

Pretty sure a TKO road race transmission is super cheaty and we can't run the baby LSs... yet.  However, I've read there was a 305/4-speed from the factory.  The Roadkill Monza had a 350, but I don't know if that was a factory option.  I'd clone one of those, turbo the Buick, or just drop in a GM 60-degree or 3800 and shave a couple hundred pounds off the nose.

350 2 bbl was the California emissions engine in 1975. 125 hp. My '75 had the 262 110 hp engine and was, um, slow.

The swap formula uses a starting weight of 2800 lbs, close to the listed shipping weight of 2753 lbs of a 4 cylinder Monza 2+2 which matches up well with the expected 180 lbs heavier than a Vega with the same engine at 2478 lbs. These weights are from my Standard Catalog of American Cars.

A more realistic weight of 3086 lbs for the V8 Monza hatchback is given here:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1978/192470/chevrolet_monza_22_sport_spyder_hatchback_coupe_305_v-8.html

That's the minimum weight that should be used by the swap formula, not the Wiki guess of 2800 lbs.

Some real numbers with a Cosworth Vega (all aluminum 4 cylinder) thrown in for comparison:

'77 Monza Spyder- 305cid 8cyl.145hp
auto./2.29:1 axle; wgt.3160
0-60 9.6 sec. qtr. mile 17.1/81.3 mph
Road Test 4/77

'76 Cosworth Vega-122cid 4cyl.110hp
5-spd./4.10:1 axle; wgt.2670
0-60 10.0 sec. qtr. mile 17.4/78.5 mph
Road Test 10/76

'77 Monza Spyder- 305cid 8cyl.140hp
4-spd./2.73:1 axle; wgt.3310
0-60 10.5 sec. qtr mile 17.5/79.5 mph
Car & Driver 9/76

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Geezzz mender how can a 350 be so weak . Guess I'll have to cam it and do a little head work  . I know we use to get decent power out of those Carter two barrels back in the late model stock days .  Do you think the Saginaw 4 speed will hold up if treated with respect ?  

45 minutes ago, okkustom said:

Geezzz mender how can a 350 be so weak . Guess I'll have to cam it and do a little head work  . I know we use to get decent power out of those Carter two barrels back in the late model stock days .  Do you think the Saginaw 4 speed will hold up if treated with respect ?  

in the depths of smog controls and lack of technology to adapt, two barrel carb, single exhaust.  There is a lot there with some basic upgrades, particularly since the car starts at 150 points

1 hour ago, okkustom said:

Puts the Cosworth's 110 hp out of 122 cid into perspective when a 2 bbl 350 was rated at 125 hp and a 454 4 bbl only claimed 230 hp. It was a sad time for American muscle.

Yes; no clutch dumps or speed shifts and it'll be fine.

A Saginaw is not a bad transmission. The biggest problem is that we also had ST-10s and Muncies.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
6 hours ago, mender said:

Puts the Cosworth's 110 hp out of 122 cid into perspective when a 2 bbl 350 was rated at 125 hp and a 454 4 bbl only claimed 230 hp. It was a sad time for American muscle.

Yes; no clutch dumps or speed shifts and it'll be fine.

A Saginaw is not a bad transmission. The biggest problem is that we also had ST-10s and Muncies.

Thanks mender every body around here tell me they the trans won't last . Back in the day lots got tore up but in my memory it was because people were doing something stupid . I had a couple in small block Chevells and never had a problem . 

And I believe the two barrels were carter's with a little work . I want to try for some milage or should I just claim an intake and run this bad azz 650 road race carb that I got with the car and limit RPM to say 5000 .

On 11/27/2017 at 10:18 PM, okkustom said:

easy enough to take that 350 to 300+Hp w/o any visual differences and using stock parts. Can be done w/ a 305 as well.

Edited by TiredBirds
more info
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 6:37 AM, okkustom said:

Thanks mender every body around here tell me they the trans won't last . Back in the day lots got tore up but in my memory it was because people were doing something stupid . I had a couple in small block Chevells and never had a problem . 

And I believe the two barrels were carter's with a little work . I want to try for some milage or should I just claim an intake and run this bad azz 650 road race carb that I got with the car and limit RPM to say 5000 .

Claim it, claim it, claim it.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:37 AM, okkustom said:

Contrary to popular belief, the only economy associated with 2 bbls is the cost of producing them. They were the cheapest induction system. A decent 4 bbl will almost always be more efficient and make more power. Same idea with exhaust: single is cheapest to produce, dual is more efficient.

One trick on the mechanical secondary road race carbs is to disconnect the rear accelerator pump, it doesn't need it when set up properly. 

Edited by mender