Jump to content

Racing an 80's Grand National series car?


VegasNick
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I found a smoking good deal on a 1980's Monte Carlo that was originally raced in the NASCAR Grand National series. The body is all original GM, and if I understood correctly, the subframe is as well. Could you conceivably run this car without having to run the Exception Class?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It might be considered "over-built" if it's a true ex-cup type car. It was probably pretty heavily fab'd, even back in the 80's.

 

The correct answer is to email Phil the head tech person.

 

The more correct answer is to post up pictures here because we are all curious - plus we are all forum heros and internet cowboys and we can give you at least a solid 3 or 4 pages of misinformation, but it would be pretty sweet to check out.

 

Are you really in the Daytona area? There are a few of us based out of the greater Daytona area.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So swapped out front spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors, 9 in ford rear end, calipers, rotors, truck trailing arms, lots of added sheet metal throughout chassis and interior. There would be lots of added value. 

 

Plus added value for extra tubing. I would do it though. I would love to have another GN chassis. I used to be a jack man/fuel crew guy in the 80's. Good cars. 

Edited by cagedruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, pintodave said:

It might be considered "over-built" if it's a true ex-cup type car. It was probably pretty heavily fab'd, even back in the 80's.

 

The correct answer is to email Phil the head tech person.

 

The more correct answer is to post up pictures here because we are all curious - plus we are all forum heros and internet cowboys and we can give you at least a solid 3 or 4 pages of misinformation, but it would be pretty sweet to check out.

 

Are you really in the Daytona area? There are a few of us based out of the greater Daytona area.

HAHAH Sounds about right for most forums! And I will be there in just a few days. We loaded our cars on a hauler today. We leave out on Wednesday morning. 

23 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

Was it built as a road course car or oval, big difference I would imagine in how the car will work.

I understand an oval course car. The guys that has it was going to convert  it to street legal for a play toy. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

   Pictures        do you have any history on it ?   Front or rear stear ,meaning is the stearing box in front of the crosmember or behind it   Ft is a Loughlin style chassis a rear stear would be a Banjo Matthew's .  Banjo cars were the standard in the early 80s .  Come to think about it Grand National were cup cars until 1982 that's when the Bush grand national series started and took over the name ..  so early would be a cup car 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the early ones  had the stock pickup truck  frame with long arms , plus the tubing and Ford corners. .  It weighs about 3200# plus ballast . 

 The Mid 80s may have had stock front halfs and tube rears. with long arms . 

 The mid /late 80 /90s had all tube with long arms with one of the arms soft mounted at the axle so as not to twist the axle  under bounce . 

Edited by flyinglizard
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one I crewed for in 1985, and yes, they were framed, not tube framed. This particularly car was a Laughlin, and had long truck arms, Ford 9". They were basic and the biggest mod was the A frames. We would still get our parts straight from GM, including the floor pan, noses, windshields, and body panels. Of course the bodies may have been "tweaked" a little. I would love to see this car on track, but depending on what that car was built for (superspeedway, short track, road course) you may have some work to do to make it to turn left and right> Good Luck! 

sims bros.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks like a asphalt Pro Stock model. That should be build on a GM metric frame. It is not all that far away from being Champ legal.  The cage tie in front and rear will be an issue.  Send a mail and see what sticks. They are heavy and extremely safe. Gonna need a good motor to move that thing. I would love to see that unit a Daytona or Road America.

 

Good luck to you and hope to see you at the track soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No truer words have been written here in a long time. 

 

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM, pintodave said:

 

 

 

The more correct answer is to post up pictures here because we are all curious - plus we are all forum heros and internet cowboys and we can give you at least a solid 3 or 4 pages of misinformation, but it would be pretty sweet to check it out.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

That looks like a asphalt Pro Stock model. That should be build on a GM metric frame. It is not all that far away from being Champ legal.  The cage tie in front and rear will be an issue.  Send a mail and see what sticks. They are heavy and extremely safe. Gonna need a good motor to move that thing. I would love to see that unit a Daytona or Road America.

 

Good luck to you and hope to see you at the track soon.

You talk like you know these cars. B)

 

5 months...MC vs bird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do indeed good Sir. 

 

  When I first arrived in Houston the local 3/8 mile banked  track had a Pro Stock series.  I looked at the rules and it was clear that the car must be body on frame. So......I bought a junk 08 Crown Vic and Put a T Bird body on the Panther frame. 347 Crate Motor Bla Bla Bla.

 

  I get to the track and roll into tech with this car and they would not let me race it! I am dead serious. I later found out the fellow competitors threatened to walk if they let my car on the track. why? Because it had a watts link. 36 cars in the field and ALL were Chevrolets.

 

  So I went to Louisiana to race. I bent it up bad half way through the season.  yes I know this car. Race against many and drove one for 3 seasons.  Alot of fun.

 

14 hours ago, Bandit said:

You talk like you know these cars. B)

 

5 months...MC vs bird.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whats a Cajon doing Gator territory? 

 

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:15 AM, tibadeaux said:

This is one I crewed for in 1985, and yes, they were framed, not tube framed. This particularly car was a Laughlin, and had long truck arms, Ford 9". They were basic and the biggest mod was the A frames. We would still get our parts straight from GM, including the floor pan, noses, windshields, and body panels. Of course the bodies may have been "tweaked" a little. I would love to see this car on track, but depending on what that car was built for (superspeedway, short track, road course) you may have some work to do to make it to turn left and right> Good Luck! 

sims bros.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whats a Cajon doing Gator territory? 

 

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:15 AM, tibadeaux said:

This is one I crewed for in 1985, and yes, they were framed, not tube framed. This particularly car was a Laughlin, and had long truck arms, Ford 9". They were basic and the biggest mod was the A frames. We would still get our parts straight from GM, including the floor pan, noses, windshields, and body panels. Of course the bodies may have been "tweaked" a little. I would love to see this car on track, but depending on what that car was built for (superspeedway, short track, road course) you may have some work to do to make it to turn left and right> Good Luck! 

sims bros.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...