Bill Strong

ChampCar Sim League Schedule

On 11/27/2017 at 9:06 PM, Evilwheel said:

Dang it, I wanna do this.     Just don't have any of the equipment.  :(     

Mark, we can make some of the dates over here at my place  --- I have two setups (one for me and my son).   I can borrow a setup from a friend and we could actually do 3 as long as we have the iracing accounts for it. 

-Brian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bam said:

Mark, we can make some of the dates over here at my place  --- I have two setups (one for me and my son).   I can borrow a setup from a friend and we could actually do 3 as long as we have the iracing accounts for it. 

-Brian

Thanks B !   Might have to give it a try sometime then.

Slowly putting together things to join.  Membership acquired.  Found out the old laptop works with minimum graphics settings (feels like minecraft racing...).  The SimRacing steering wheel I have is a bit of a challenge, but also works to get me around the track with reasonable pace.  Looking into wheel/pedal setup, spec'ing out a better system and figuring out how to mount my old race seat, hopefully all in time for the RA race that counts in January.

Looking forward to some sim fun and checking off a few tracks on my virtual list!

• Like 2

I can't run the settings maxed out, but my "gaming" computer from NewEgg was only about $550 and works fine for the last 6 years.  Below is a link to a slightly newer version.  Will give you an example of an "affordable" set up.  At least it won't totally break the bank.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

As for wheel and pedals, I use the Logitech G29.  Wheel is great, but don't like the pedals.  My old Fanatec Club Sports with a load cell are much better....but also cost around $200 just for the pedals.  G29 or similar would be fine to get you started, and its on sale on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Driving-Force-Racing-PlayStation/dp/B00Z0UWWYC/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513026608&sr=1-3&keywords=g29

Here I am budgeting the tracks to purchase for this iRacing season :-)

[edit] needed 6 of the 11 tracks, so went ahead and took advantage of the 15% off for 6 pieces of content (which meant I had to put the Merc, CoTA, 24HrLeMans, 488GT, and 911 GT3 on the back burner)

Let's do this.

Edited by CJ_GFDSU_Racing
added info

On 12/11/2017 at 3:42 PM, NigelStu said:

Slowly putting together things to join.  Membership acquired.  Found out the old laptop works with minimum graphics settings (feels like minecraft racing...).  The SimRacing steering wheel I have is a bit of a challenge, but also works to get me around the track with reasonable pace.  Looking into wheel/pedal setup, spec'ing out a better system and figuring out how to mount my old race seat, hopefully all in time for the RA race that counts in January.

Looking forward to some sim fun and checking off a few tracks on my virtual list!

Why am I surprised that Ben didn't already have a SimRacing room in his house??

10 hours ago, Bguy03 said:

i may have to get in on this! just joined Iracing and have been having a blast. 

Yes you should!!! We have a lot of fun on Thursday evenings!!!

I setup this Sim last week( old scrap 2x4's and Miata seat) The PC is 4 years old , I'm gonna upgrade the video card so I can use a virtual reality headset (Oculus rift or..)

Someone please post a schedule page on the forum AND the length of the races..

IMG_20171220_181237.jpg

Edited by Chummy

8 minutes ago, Chummy said:

Someone please post a schedule page on the forum AND the length of the races..

It's the first post that starts this thread???? I can't possibly make it any easier than that....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's the first post that starts this thread???? I can't possibly make it any easier than that....

Oh, duh. I see the race lengths now.

But I read there was still a race at Barber... That was probably just before the barber race..

So , I thought I read somewhere about pit strategy, fueling, the Stock Car making a 2 hour stint somewhere?? So both the Miata and the stock car will go the hour races and the 2 hour race on a tank of fuel?

37 minutes ago, Chummy said:

Oh, duh. I see the race lengths now.

But I read there was still a race at Barber... That was probably just before the barber race..

So , I thought I read somewhere about pit strategy, fueling, the Stock Car making a 2 hour stint somewhere?? So both the Miata and the stock car will go the hour races and the 2 hour race on a tank of fuel?

Neither car will make an hour stint and certainly not 2.

There is one more race this Thursday at Sebring before we start the 2018 Season.

Looking forward to having you join us...ENJOY!!!

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Neither car will make an hour stint and certainly not 2.

There is one more race this Thursday at Sebring before we start the 2018 Season.

Looking forward to having you join us...ENJOY!!!

What will the track format be for Thursday?  I'm going to try to make it but I also want to practice a bit beforehand.  I was running the full track this weekend and its looooong.  Lots of fun.  

1 hour ago, n0m4d said:

What will the track format be for Thursday?  I'm going to try to make it but I also want to practice a bit beforehand.  I was running the full track this weekend and its looooong.  Lots of fun.  

International...so, yes, full course. Look forward to having you join us!!!!

I was about to buy the tracks in bulk to save some money. but realized there's a Daytona I can buy still even though I there was one included. Which Daytona track do I need?

On 1/3/2018 at 10:53 AM, WastedAccounts said:

I was about to buy the tracks in bulk to save some money. but realized there's a Daytona I can buy still even though I there was one included. Which Daytona track do I need?

@Bill Strong Can you answer this one?

I hope we use the modern version of Daytona, but I understand the old version is free and because of that may be preferred by some. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope we use the modern version of Daytona, but I understand the old version is free and because of that may be preferred by some. 

Hmmmm. I had no idea there was another version of it. Any idea what the changes are? 

1 hour ago, WastedAccounts said:

Which Daytona track do I need?

ChampCar runs the Roval.

iRacing has two versions of Daytona (all configs), the first was the initial version and the second is the rescan that was done after the track was repaved in 2010. When the new version was released the first was made free content. So the pros and cons are that the paid version is more up to date and true-to-life in terms of track surface (and so more helpful for ChampCar training), but the free version is.....free.

My personal opinion is that we should run the more up-to-date version in order to try and parallel the real life racing as closely as possible, but I understand that if there is significant opposition to this then we can very easily use the 2007 version. 

2 hours ago, Rapido said:

iRacing has two versions of Daytona (all configs), the first was the initial version and the second is the rescan that was done after the track was repaved in 2010. When the new version was released the first was made free content. So the pros and cons are that the paid version is more up to date and true-to-life in terms of track surface (and so more helpful for ChampCar training), but the free version is.....free.

My personal opinion is that we should run the more up-to-date version in order to try and parallel the real life racing as closely as possible, but I understand that if there is significant opposition to this then we can very easily use the 2007 version. 

How much of a difference is there really?

free is free