iRacing equipment thread

pintodave

I've used iRacing 95% only as a trainer to learn new tracks, mostly a few years ago before I had been to a track a few times... I'd be interested in doing some actual racing.

Based on the questions of a few others in another thread, I thought an equipment thread would be helpful. I am out of the loop myself as it's been a good 18 months since I've messed with it... I have a homemade rig that houses logitech pedals and I've used my big screen, works "ok" but I feel I have a lack of feel with the logitech setup. 

What are some obvious or some good bang-for-the-buck upgrades? 

- Wheel/pedal mods?

- Triple screen?

- VR/Oculus setup?

VR setup looks very intriguing but I am aware of the "screen door effect". I've tried them on at Best Buy and it is pretty frikking immersive to say the least. Anyone with feedback when used with iRacing?

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1

@pintodave - I've created a central thread here so that we can help with any hardware requests or general questions about iRacing. However, to answer your initial questions:

Best bang for buck upgrades - the common consensus is that the best upgrade you can make from a "standard" hardware setup is pedals with a load cell brake. This will result in a more natural/resistive feeling brake pedal, and improve consistency on corner entry. Fanatec made good load cell pedals, and there are also third party modifications available for existing hardware like the Logitech G27. Following on from this, 3 monitor setups also help a great deal if you have the space/budget - setup can be tricky but we have a few team members who can assist. I don't have experience in VR but a couple of our team do use Oculus setups and speak very highly of them.

@okkustom - The best wheel option for starting out in simracing is the Logitech G29 - it's very reliable and supported in the community providing a good quality option without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintodave said:

What are some obvious or some good bang-for-the-buck upgrades? 

Great...I thought we could get away from the Speed Creep conversations for a bit, but NOOOO...:lol:

Yeah, I gotta do something with my brake pedal so I hear ya there...

• Haha 1

And as far as rigs go, some of the fastest guys I know are running single monitor only, so I would recommend starting with that as it should be plenty. I upgraded to triple monitors after a couple of years and it is a pretty big upgrade, especially for dirt, and for spotting the apexes of hairpins when road racing.

@pintodave The VR/triples debate is a very common one, but unfortunately as I haven't tried VR I can't really weigh in that much. I will say that running triples requires a much cheaper system - 3x 1080p at mediums settings on my computer gets 80+ frames everywhere on a GTX660 graphics card (which is ancient these days). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Devon Peters said:

especially for dirt, and for spotting the apexes of hairpins when road racing.

Here are some gifs of a recent race I had with Devon, for a couple of road racers we were having fun sliding around.

https://imgur.com/a/Rv36k

The one thing that is very important on you iRacing setup is FOV.  Measure the monitor and then measure the distance from your eyeball to the screen and input all those numbers in the sim and calculate the proper field of view.

@pintodave if you want more feel in the wheel, start looking at OSW wheel kits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah...I have to do something (ANYTHING) with my G27 brake pedal. VERY frustrating as it has no feel whatsoever....NONE.

Doc, google "G27 brake mod" and you'll get lots of information.  I bought a small coil spring from Fastenal with an OD smaller than the logitech ID and use them in tandem.  I cut the new/stiff spring to length which allows the pedal to have a short travel before it hits the new spring.  The new spring is very stiff and gives the illusion of travel before additional force like you'd see in a real brake pedal.  Best $5 you'll spend on your rig.

• Like 4

Just now, Bremsen said:

Doc, google "G27 brake mod" and you'll get lots of information.  I bought a small coil spring from Fastenal with an OD smaller than the logitech ID and use them in tandem.  I cut the new/stiff spring to length which allows the pedal to have a short travel before it hits the new spring.  The new spring is very stiff and gives the illusion of travel before additional force like you'd see in a real brake pedal.  Best $5 you'll spend on your rig.

Thanks!!! Tired of finishing last!!! I get enough of that at the actual track...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Devon Peters said:

@pintodave The VR/triples debate is a very common one, but unfortunately as I haven't tried VR I can't really weigh in that much. I will say that running triples requires a much cheaper system - 3x 1080p at mediums settings on my computer gets 80+ frames everywhere on a GTX660 graphics card (which is ancient these days). 

I got to try the Occulus and GRC on the iRacing rigs at SEMA.  I was actually a bit disappointed in the resolution of the Occulus, even though I knew it wasn't going to be great and had heard about the "screen door effect".  I didn't notice the screen door as much as it was just low resolution.  It wasn't terrible, but definitely not very good.  After trying it, I'm not sure I'll jump on the current gen and might hold out until they release the next generation.  The immersion aspect was really incredible though, I just wish I was allowed to run a familiar course/car so I could compare directly.  I don't have room for triples where my rig is set up so VR is my only real option to upgrade.  You are correct in that you can run triples on a <$200 card and VR will require something in the $300-400 range, but when you consider buying triple screens+mounts+card vs VR+card, its really not that much more to go VR.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bremsen said:

I was actually a bit disappointed in the resolution of the Occulus, even though I knew it wasn't going to be great and had heard about the "screen door effect". 

Were you using the Rift or the DK2? I have used both and the Rift is way better then the DK2 

I have been through a couple setups and am very happy with mine:

Wheel base: Thrustmaster T300 Servo off amazon $150 (doesn't come with a wheel)

Wheel: Used playstation one for the T300 of eBay $40

Pedals: Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals US $150 (force based pedals are really helpful)

Viewing: Oculus Rift: $350 + computer upgrades (this was a game changer for me) 

Shifter: ACT 8 speed shifter (junk) - $75 

^the prices on this poop moves around, track them on https://camelcamelcamel.com to optimize prices 

I used to have a cockpit with a racing seat and everything placed in the same position as the Subaru I used to race. This was a giant waste of time and money. Now I am just using a computer desk and chair with sliders instead of wheels. 

VR computer setup:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4590

Graphics card:  GTX 970

SSD hard drive

Mother board with enough USBs for Oculus Rift 

^Oculus makes a tool that will check your computers specs and tell you if its worthy https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798/

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Were you using the Rift or the DK2? I have used both and the Rift is way better then the DK2 

Rift, I would assume.  This was in the iRacing booth at SEMA with their high end rigs.  To be fair, I don’t know how it was set up and it may have had more to do with the beta GRC series they we’re running than resolution in the Rift.  I wish I could have tried it on  a standard road course.  Maybe I should give it a second try before I make up my mind.

I guess I should keep an eye out on ebay for used gear.  T300 or CSR pedals for $150 is a good deal.

5 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

Rift, I would assume.  This was in the iRacing booth at SEMA with their high end rigs.  To be fair, I don’t know how it was set up and it may have had more to do with the beta GRC series they we’re running than resolution in the Rift.  I wish I could have tried it on  a standard road course.  Maybe I should give it a second try before I make up my mind.

I guess I should keep an eye out on ebay for used gear.  T300 or CSR pedals for $150 is a good deal.

The Rift still has a screen door effect but its much less then the DK2. Honestly I dont even notice it anymore. I love it, I can stay "in the zone" much easier 

I paid $150 new for both. Like I said the numbers go all over the place on these items., 

I have an Occulus. Tried it with Iracing, and I'm one of the lucky ones that gets motion sick from it. First time I turn my head to look through a corner, my dinner starts looking for a way out of my stomach. I've tried numerous settings that are supposed to help, but they did nothing. I can slowly make a lap or two ok, but once I speed up, I feel the need to upchuck. No other VR game has that effect on me, just racing. :(

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, drKorf said:

I finally decided to abandon my 8-year-old rig to jump into the VR pool. Computer arrives at the end of the week. Hopefully I'm as jazzed about it as Jamie.

Awesome, be interested to hear some feedback!!

10 hours ago, TBone said:

I have an Occulus. Tried it with Iracing, and I'm one of the lucky ones that gets motion sick from it. First time I turn my head to look through a corner, my dinner starts looking for a way out of my stomach. I've tried numerous settings that are supposed to help, but they did nothing. I can slowly make a lap or two ok, but once I speed up, I feel the need to upchuck. No other VR game has that effect on me, just racing. :(

Have you tried taking anything like Bonine or Dramamine? 

15 hours ago, TBone said:

Man that sucks. Have you tried disabling Z axis motion? I heard this helps. Do you get motion sickness racing?

6 minutes ago, TBone said:

And no, I've never had a problem in an actual race car. 

Neither have I (being aboard Big E with a fighter squadron was not that big of a deal either), but set me in the back seat of a car and it gets UGLY...QUICKLY!!!

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

I just (yesterday) bought this computer - https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=565271593&cat_id=0. One of the gaming nerds I work with highly recommended it as a starter setup for the price VS building one.

Still getting it setup but it seems to runs pretty well for me. I went with the LogitechG29 Wheel and pedal setup. Not enough time on it yet to make the recommendation but for the price I'm happy with it. 

Edited by WastedAccounts
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WastedAccounts said:

I just (yesterday) bought this computer - https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=565271593&cat_id=0. One of the gaming nerds I work with highly recommended it as a starter setup for the price VS building one.

Still getting it setup but it seems to runs pretty well for me. I went with the LogitechG29 Wheel and pedal setup. Not enough time on it yet to make the recommendation but for the price I'm happy with it. 

That's a good deal. It's more than you need for iRacing, but if you decide to get into Project CARS, rFactor 2, and some other titles, you'll be glad you have the 1060. I paid significantly more because I wanted a 1070 system for VR. G29 is good quality and great value.

• 2 weeks later...

I broke down today and ordered an i5-4690K to complete the PC I started building a couple years ago.  I've got a triple monitor setup in the works at 1080 and a Logitech G27 that I'm building a rig for around an Ikea chair.  I still want to do a load cell but for now I'm probably just going to stick a stiffer spring in the brake and call it a day.  I'm not settled yet on a video card (using a Gigabyte Radeon HD6950 to get things going) but thinking about a 1060 minimum and more likely a 1070/1070ti.  

Hello fellow racers,

Ok, I got my gaming pc. Now my issue is with the Logitech G920 steering wheel. I cant seem to get it to work with iRacing. Everytime I try to do a "Test Drive" to see if it works, it tells me that the steering wheel is unassigned and it wont calibrate it. Ive done some research and I'm still stumped. Is anyone else having this problem? Please help!!

Edit: This is the computer I got. I've read that the G920 has issues with usb 3.0 but the specs on the pc says it has (2) usb 2.0 ports on it. I've tried all ports except the ones labeled SSD cuz those will be 3.0 ports. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 1400 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 1TB Hard Drive - Black

• Model: GUA2600BST
  • SKU: 5833100
Edited by Corman