Introduction to iRacing and Sim Hardware

What is the preferred choice of mic setup? I am completely "box stock" with my Rift S. The sound is actually not terrible, but I am not opposed to a real headset or earbuds or attached ear speakers for the Rift.

Rift S has one port (I am assuming for speakers), what do I do for mic? Built-in setups? Stand alone? Bluetooth? Long cable and bundle with Rift cord? Desk mounted mic?? What about talking platform? iRacing, TeamSpeak? 

Learn me plzzzz.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All,   Quickly to introduce myself, my name is Tom Ellison and I am the co-founder of HJ Motorsport, an iRacing online endurance team that made the jump into real life ChampCar racing in

I think you missed the point, as that wasnt a free car (unless my googlefu is off, most gaming websites are blocked at work)   $200 in "tracks" to complete a game that costs $100 a year.. 

I'm sorry you feel this way about the truly superior sim setup.  Only the best use swivel desk chairs. 

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, Chris Huggins said:

It is so hard for me to get behind iRacing's subscription based service along with paid content.

I can see a subscription based service where all content is available

I can see a free-to-play service where all content is paid

I miss the purchase once and get a complete game days

Seems like they are double dipping, and what do you get for your subscription anyways...  Have they updated the game or added any free content lately?

I 100% agreed with your comment. I somewhat stopped getting on iRacing this year as I did renew my sub for 1 year as iRacing is so expensive where you have to buy every little things at a pretty high price too. I mean $14.95 for a car and track? I can understand like $2.99 or something like that but the current prices for the cars and tracks are very high.

As for the sim, I believe for the money you paid for iRacing, it is not even the best physics, tire model out there. I have been most on Assetto Corsa, and ACC, rFactor2. The title in my opinion has much better graphics, physic and tire model than iRacing has. Also, you do not have to buy any tracks, cars as those AC is modable and if don't have the track or car, just simply go to https://www.racedepartment.com/ and find it to download it all for FREE. 

On a last note, I have been using World Sim Series simracing.gp and SRS. All of those communities uses AC, ACC, rFactor2, Automobilista 2. They are free to join and to race daily. There is premium services you can pay at fracture of what iRacing charges and you can win rides on a real race teams and cash prizes as well. Go check it out! 

Edited by mug23
On 2/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, mug23 said:

I can understand like $2.99 or something like that but the current prices for the cars and tracks are very high.

I joined iRacing to work on driver development. 

My real life option for driver development include doing a 3 day class at Mid-Ohio for $2500, or doing multiple real life life track days that run $200 and up just for entry not to mention consumables. 

With $2500 I bought my rig, a subscription, and a dozen tracks or so and run with ChampCar iRacing Series, and have some $ left over. 

For $200 - cost of a single track day - I can get access to 10-15 tracks and cars that never need money for tires, gas or repair for that price. 

I believe there are cheaper ways to race online, I'm just looking at relative value. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, ASenna said:

What are the minimum license requirements to participate?  

For the practice rounds, there is no license requirement. For the championship rounds, minimum is a Road D license with >2.0 safety rating.