Sign in to follow this  
Rapido

Practice Race at VIR North - 11/30/2017

10 hours ago, Doc said:

My bad too @Jamie. The races are still listed under "Hosted Races" as well. I thought they would be under the League Tab.

I'm really sorry. We will get this down in the next few weeks and be ready for the start of the 2018 season.

Bear with us...

Hey Doc, I run a NASCAR league on Iracing as well so if you have questions on how to setup the sessions and things of that nature please feel free to ask. Either message me on here or on Iracing and I'll pitch in wherever I can. 

• Like 1

First off I'd like to say I'm a much better driver in real life than I am in iracing.  I've been iracing on and off for a few months and used iracing to learn Barber before racing there with WRL this past summer.  It think I achieved 4 clean laps in one hour of qualifying.  I've done a hand full of practices with other drivers on track but this was my first race.  I was involved in the crash in turn 2 on the first lap and a few other solo crashes after that.   The car's seem very difficult to control and any small mistake seems to result in some kind of spin or costly off track excursion.  I use a G10-349 steering and pedal setup.  Am I missing something (besides talent) that could make the car control easier or more predictable.  I find myself in a number of spins that I feel I could have recovered or avoided in rear life.  Is it because the butt sensor isn't connected?

And sorry if I ruined anyone's race or fast lap during qualifying.   What a Sh*t show!

Edited by hcsi99
Engrish

8 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

Is it because the butt sensor isn't connected?

Yeah, it takes a lot to get used to not having that butt feel.

What I have found is by turning UP the tire sound you get a better idea what the car is doing to avoid those snap spins.

In the end, we are all there to have some fun racing with our friends and I think everybody did. I turned into to someone down near hog pen and took them out...just didn't see them and turned in. Better here than at the track...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah, it takes a lot to get used to not having that butt feel.

What I have found is by turning UP the tire sound you get a better idea what the car is doing to avoid those snap spins.

In the end, we are all there to have some fun racing with our friends and I think everybody did. I turned into to someone down near hog pen and took them out...just didn't see them and turned in. Better here than at the track...

I spent two hours between practice and qualifying and didn't make 1 lap in the race.  I was bummed but then I thought about how many racers have towed a car multiple hours to a racetrack and spent big bucks to practice, qualify, and crash on the first lap.  At least this didn't cost me anything but time and pride.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Butt-feel is my biggest complaint. Learning how to go fast in iRacing is hard! It punishes you for not being technically perfect, so from that aspect it is good for making you not miss your marks, braking zones, etc.

What you can make up for with butt-feel in real life does not exist in the game so I guess that repetition of making perfect laps is a good thing to take with you over to your real racing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

I spent two hours between practice and qualifying and didn't make 1 lap in the race.  I was bummed but then I thought about how many racers have towed a car multiple hours to a racetrack and spent big bucks to practice, qualify, and crash on the first lap.  At least this didn't cost me anything but time and pride.   

Sounds like me when I first got into iRacing years ago just to practice for Road Atlanta. I swear I made laps for 3+ hours in practice mode. I could ride around 85-90% laps just fine but I could not put together a 10/10th's lap to save my life. But it did make a huge difference when I actually showed up to the track and halfway knew where I was going. 

• Like 1

The current miata seems very loose compared to the previous gen.  I was having difficulty controlling it through the infield sweepers and down through hog pen, but its been that way on most of the tracks I've raced it on lately.  Barber wasn't too bad, but I ran Phoenix in the series and it was super loose there too.

Is there a way to allow for air pressure adjustments without chassis adjustments?

3 hours ago, Bremsen said:

The current miata seems very loose compared to the previous gen.  I was having difficulty controlling it through the infield sweepers and down through hog pen, but its been that way on most of the tracks I've raced it on lately.  Barber wasn't too bad, but I ran Phoenix in the series and it was super loose there too.

Is there a way to allow for air pressure adjustments without chassis adjustments?

The old Miata (2015) is pushy as hell. The new Miata (Global) defiantly oversteers but you can easily tune it out with spring/bar adjustment. The easiest way to do this is to unhook the rear, it still oversteers but much less. Wish we could do chassis adjustments. 

@pintodave @hcsi99 I also struggle with the buttdyno. What I have found to be helpful with filling that void is listening to the tire noises that iracing provides, I am not a huge fan of this in real life but it seems to be helpful in iracing. 

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 3

@Bremsen - there's no way of segregating setup parameters, it's either fixed or open. Initially we've made the series fixed setup in order to make the racing more accessible to the many newcomers that we're anticipating taking part.

However, it's possible we may move to using alternate fixed setups for the Street Stock and Miata that differ from the baseline but provide a more stable and consistent car. We'll update on any changes if and when they're made and provide all fixed setups available for download ahead of any events that use them.

• Like 2

Was the MX5 really just the baseline setup but limited fuel? The car was so stable. Before the hosted session (I know the weather was different) I was only running high 1:40's and then managed to qualify with like a 1:37.9. When I get home from work today I'm gonna test the setup from last night (I saved it) and check everything. But I really enjoyed the car. Barber next week will be a ton of fun too if it is anything like two weeks ago.

7 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

The car's seem very difficult to control and any small mistake seems to result in some kind of spin or costly off track excursion.  I use a G10-349 steering and pedal setup. 

@hcsi99 I have never heard of that wheel and a quick search led me to an old eBay posting for a Logitech G27.  If you are using a G27, it is a good entry level wheel that is capable of turning great laps, the fastest guy I know on iRacing uses one.  Make sure that you have the wheel setup using the proper settings.  There is probably good information in the iRacing forum.  I don't have a G27, so I can't say what you should have all your settings at but one thing to check and make sure you have the degrees of rotation set correctly.  I think it should be 900 degrees, I have heard of people having this set to lower values like 270 degrees and it causing issues.  Another thing to set is the FFB strength, you can do this while in the car via the black boxes.  I suggest using the auto button in the FFB adjustment box, it will set the FFB to a setting that is high as possible without clipping, it takes a lap or so of normal driving before the system can calculate the proper force setting.

Any G27 users willing to post screen shots of their wheel settings?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for hosting this!

I hooked someone in turn 1 in the left rear and need to apologize.  It was totally my fault that they went off the track.

This was my first racing in iRacing with a new wheel and VR headset. I had a blast and cant wait for the next one.

32 minutes ago, kartermdb said:

I hooked someone in turn 1 in the left rear and need to apologize

I just want to know how you hook someone's left in a right-hander???

No wonder I'm so freaking slow; there are things I don't know about...:lol:

Glad you could join us!!!