iRacing Alternatives

miatainium

Following on @drKorf's post in this iRacing thread, this thread is to discuss alternatives to iRacing, the setups, and perhaps coordinate alternative online racing (if applicable).  I've never tried iRacing but from everything I hear it's the gold-standard in online sim-racing that just gets better and better.  That said, as drKorf details, there are alternatives for those who are unable or unwilling to commit to the iRacing subscription model. If this thread should be moved, please feel free to do so.

On a personal note, I'm sadly unable to commit the time to sim-racing to make the iRacing subscription worth-while. I only get 1-2 hours per week to partake in some sim-racing on my modest "rig", so a one-time software purchase makes sense to me ... perhpas there are others in the same boat.  I've logged about 10 hours over the past month in Assetto Corsa just hot-lapping and I find the experience good.  Laser-scanned tracks would be great but the AC mod community efforts are good approximations of the real things.  I've tried a few tracks that I've actually raced at like Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), Watkins Glen, and Road America, as well as places I've never been like Sebring and Laguna Seca ... it's all really fun and I feel like I'm learning something, if perhaps only the track layout.  

I'm interested in trying out the SimRacing System (SRS) thing and give an online race a try ... perhaps if there's interest from like-minded people we could schedule an online ChampCar race to give it a go.  I know nothing about SRS or Assetto Corsa's online capabilities, so perhaps someone with more experience could chime in.

Again, not trying to derail the iRacing ChampCar league or argue against the merits of iRacing (as there are many), this is simply to provide a low-cost alternative for those who can't, for a number of reasons, participate in iRacing.

Forza 7 is available on PC or Xbox.  If you buy one, you get the other for free.  It is cross platform, so that opens up the potential market for 'practice' partners.  It is not at the same level as iRacing, but I think it could be a cheap way to get some sim-cade racing in.  I've got a wheel/pedal setup that works with xbox and pc.  I bought it at WalMart on Black Friday for $29.  I haven't played my copy yet, but I did play it on @gr1vlet's PC.  I believe it would be a decent practice tool.  It's way easier to not crash than iRacing once you start to lose it, but going properly fast seems similar. 

Several of my buddies still race Grand Prix Legends, the model T of racing sims (from the same guys who went on to make iracing).   In terms of modern equipment anything in the last decade will probably have the horsepower, the bigest trick will be getting something that was designed to run on Win95 to run under Windows 10.   They also run in a weekly league for Rfactor1, which is very open to mods of all sorts of varieties.  

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LoPeN_Racers/info

http://www.autosimsport.net/lopen/

Neither offer the uber realism of some of the modern sims but race'n is race'n if everybody's in the same equipment.

Both are available for free from the greyer corners of the web.

Edited by mcewena
  • Like 1

I think Assetto Corsa is the best alternative to iRacing. I will set up a private server at some point with a selection of Champy cars and tracks. One of the things I like about AC is that you can modify the cars to put them on more equal footing. The server requires everyone has the exact same files, so I will have download links for the modified cars.

Before I started racing with ChampCar, I only had Gran Turismo 6.  I really like Gran Turismo Sport, but the major downside is a lack of tracks.  I.E., None that we race on.   So, it's useful to practice driving/racing, but not useful to learn tracks.

I have done a significant amount of racing in various games: rfactor, dirt3, project cars, simraceway (doesn't work anymore), GT5, GT6, Forza, LFS, and yes iracing. I hate the monthy subscription, track cost, car cost, that I have to pay to host a race, that Iracing customer service is crap, SR rating drama, and online race schedule but I still pay for it because its far superior to the rest and has the most tracks that champ car uses.

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

I have done a significant amount of racing in various games: rfactor, dirt3, project cars, simraceway (doesn't work anymore), GT5, GT6, Forza, LFS, and yes iracing. I hate the monthy subscription, track cost, car cost, that I have to pay to host a race, that Iracing customer service is crap, SR rating drama, and online race schedule but I still pay for it because its far superior to the rest and has the most tracks that champ car uses.

Have you tried Assetto Corsa or Automobilista?

Top tip with Assetto Corsa (again it’s the only PC sim racer I’ve played) is to setup the FOV properly. When I first played on default it was very hard to control. Once I followed a YoiTube guide to set it up and my in-game seating position, it made a huge difference.  I was shocked by how much more controllable the car responded and how my laptimes dropped significantly. So if you do give AC a try, spend the 15 minutes to dial in the FOV and seat position to your setup. 

Edited by miatainium

• 3 weeks later...

Assetto Corsa ChampCar Tracks

The base Assetto Corsa PC software has limited tracks included.  However, there's a great mod community folks that make track mods of many tracks on the ChampCar schedule.  Here's a list and where to get them.  

Barber Motorsports Park - YouTube

Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) - YouTube

Daytona 2017 - Race Department 

Laguna Seca - Race Department

New Jersey Motorsports Park: Lightning - Race Department

Road America - Race Department

Road Atlanta 2016 - Race Department

Sebring RTB - Race Department

Sonoma - YouTube

Virginia International Raceway - Race Department

Watkins Glen - YouTube

Notes:

- Race Department requires free registration to download, leave a review while you're at it

- YouTube free download link in description

Did I miss anything?  PM me and I'll add them to this post, until this is deleted when we change forums :)