MKIII Supra front brake upgrade

SiberianDVM

Anybody have any info about a Ford Cobra Mustang front caliper and rotor swap that would be an upgrade on a MKIII Supra. Driftmotion carries a bracket and hose kit, but has not responded to my emails. I need to know exactly which calipers and rotors and what rim size is needed to clear.

Thanks,

Julian

96+ Cobra caliper and rotor is a 13" rotor that 17" wheels easily clear.  A 16" wheel might clear it depending on the shape and how it was machined but would be a tight fit.

This is when it is installed on a Mustang spindle, your custom bracket may move the caliper out a bit.  A 17" wheel should still easily clear, again a 16" may or may not.

Edited by Ron_e

1 hour ago, revvhappy said:

Have you looked at the Mercedes upgrade? It's supposed to be a true "bolt on" 4-piston option (no brackets necessary) and accommodates a 12.8" Nissan rotor. 

I tried to read up on it, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The online supra forums are pitiful these days and I keep getting virus warnings when I try to read them.

I have about decided to go with the expensive, but may be better, Wilwood kit. Toyotapartsoverstock has the list price of new Supra calipers at $511 each!!! and front rotors at $95 each. The Wilwood kit is about $1200. I should be able to use the 2X rule and install it with no points, right?

From Supramania. There seems to be a 350z touring rotor that fits perfectly also. 

This is a 13" BBK that is completely bolt on with no modifications except for cutting of the heat shield.

What is needed:
Calipers:
-Mercedes benz 220 s-class 4 piston calipers. Something like a 00 or 01 model s430/s500.

Rotors:
-2012 Mercedes Benz R-class rotors. There 330mm tall and 32mm thick.
-They can be purchased on rock auto drill and slotted for like 70$ each(something like that Dont know exact numbers) or blank for cheaper. Also available at any other auto parts store as well.
-Yes the bolt pattern is 5x112. The R-class, GL-class, and ML-class all use bigger wheel bolts which allow the rotors to slide on no problem.

Hub centric rings:
- You will need 60mm ID to 67mm OD hub centric rings.
- Reason the rotors will not be centered. Use the rings and then the rotors will be centered thus preventing any alignment issues.

Caliper bolts:
- Mercedes Benz 220 caliper bolts.
- They are different threads than the mk3 calipers.
-link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-R10...48fc5e&vxp=mtr

Washers:
- 4-5mm of washers
- Reason is the caliper needs to be spaced out slightly to be centered on the rotors.

Just be cautious about pad volume since it is important for what we do (unless you like changing pads mid-race) and make sure whatever caliper you choose has a good selection of race compounds available in the proper pad shape.  Unless its used elsewhere, might be tough to find race pads for a big body benz.

Good to see you back posting again Julian.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 9:39 AM, SiberianDVM said:

I tried to read up on it, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The online supra forums are pitiful these days and I keep getting virus warnings when I try to read them.

I have about decided to go with the expensive, but may be better, Wilwood kit. Toyotapartsoverstock has the list price of new Supra calipers at $511 each!!! and front rotors at $95 each. The Wilwood kit is about $1200. I should be able to use the 2X rule and install it with no points, right?

Toyotapartsoverstock doesn't sound like O'Reily or Napa to me for a national parts chain store.

45 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Toyotapartsoverstock doesn't sound like O'Reily or Napa to me for a national parts chain store.

You are exactly right, thanks for bringing that to my attention. :) That damn fine print.

Toyoyapartsoverstock is the on-line store for Lakeland Toyota, so I was thinking that OEM prices would do as a base price. I guess not?

After doing much research (instead of working), either the Cobra or Mercedes upgrade looks the most feasible. 

Costs for calipers and rotors falls within 2X.

Pads for both are available in EBC Yellow Stuff, Blue Stuff, and Porterfield R4 (which is what we use now) and Orange Stuff for the Cobras.

M-B are 4 pot, Cobra are 2 pot.

Cobra would require brackets and lines. Both would require hub rings.

Some bolts and washers.

I'd rather have the Wilwood kit, but the points hit would put us into penalty laps. 

Thoughts? 

Wildwood is a series sponsor. I'm not saying that the 2x rule has been relaxed, but I've seen some seriously expensive WW brake kits on track. The great news is that Porterfield Raybestos pads for the WW calipers are stupid cheap compared to the ones for my Z32 calipers (about 1/2 the cost in ST43 compound). 

• Like 1

Even with a manual proportioning valve, our rear brakes have never worn or over-heated nearly as much as the fronts, so I'll do fronts first and then re-evaluate. Gonna slide by a few parts places and see if anybody has Cobra and M-B pads in stock so I can make a tracing to compare pad area to the Supra and Wilwood pads.

So far I'm leaning towards the M-B, as 4 pistons has to be better than 2. Hope I don't get too much pedal travel and have to upgrade the MC as well.

M-B calipers $68-77 each

M-B rotors $35-102 each

R4 pads $239 front setup

lines should hook up 

aluminum hub centric rings $100

bolts and washers $20

so about half the price of the Wilwood set-up. Plus, the Wilwood 10 points will put us at 505 points, after I install headers.

Porterfield will make any pad you like. they just need a set of backing plates and a request for compound. Price will be right in line with your R-4 example above. I get 40+ hours out of a front set of ST43 pads, and the front is doing the majority of braking (cheap Wagner pads last 50+ hours in the small rear calipers). I had no MC issue going from single piston OE to 4-piston calipers on the MK2 Supra, but the M-B pistons may be larger than Z32 calipers.

2 hours ago, SiberianDVM said:

So far I'm leaning towards the M-B, as 4 pistons has to be better than 2. Hope I don't get too much pedal travel and have to upgrade the MC as well.

Your master should be fine.

We swapped rear drum to disc, internet said the pedal would go to the floor, it didn't.

We swapped single piston front to larger area dual piston 99-04 calipers, internet said the pedal would go to the floor, it didn't.

We swapped 99-04 to Cobra with even larger pistons, internet said the pedal would go to the floor, it didn't.

In each case the internet said the pedal would have too much travel never mind all three cases added together.  In fact whenever someone drives our car one of the first things they remark about is how good the brakes feel.

• Like 1