VIR The Eights on North double 8

DuncanDana

• ChampCar Staff

Well after two fun days of racing the double 8's are in the books. The weather was perfect, even a bit cold. The racing was great, we even had a minor brush fire to entertain ourselves!

So this is the place where I say congratulations and insert the link to the results.. However, MyLaps' website isn't cooperating. So I'll say well done to RVA Graphics and Wraps for the win Saturday and to Huggins (Pinkies out) for Sunday. As soon as I can get the upload to work I'll update this thread with a link.

And with some help from Huggy, the results can be found here...

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1484352?user=MYLAPS-GA-98e3942896cc486aa045f01387c973ee

Thanks everyone!

Dana

Edited by DuncanDana
Results added

Curious to know if anyone has vid available from Saturday’s crash of the #710 Mustang (near turns 5/6 ... aka the snake). Asking for driver. Incident occurred @approximately 12:30 and also involved the #374 (both cars went to the wall). Thx! 

Edited by ChumpFord

6 hours ago, ChumpFord said:

Curious to know if anyone has vid available from Saturday’s crash of the #710 Mustang (near turns 5/6 ... aka the snake). Asking for driver. Thx! 

When specifically?  Narrowing the time down as much as possible is critical to good video searches.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQz2FpVV5DxlP8RjU2XX8iuich9v3FUc/view?usp=drivesdk

Some video of contact between o2 Motorsports e36 and racebar at turn 10 at the top of the hill. It was pretty frustrating for us as they made it to the pit lane under a red flag, swapped the tire when the yellow came out and were back on the track without a black flag or missing more than a lap, while we were left with more damage and a lot more time off the track. These guys were next to us yelling at people the whole day and ended up leaving before the end of the race after complaining about not making the podium. Even worse was the driver's apology basically saying that because they are a more serious racing team than us, it's expected that they are more aggressive and he was sorry that I didn't see him passing. Overall it was a great learning experience for us as a team! We still had a blast! More videos of the BBQ to come.

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQz2FpVV5DxlP8RjU2XX8iuich9v3FUc/view?usp=drivesdk

Some video of contact between o2 Motorsports e36 and racebar at turn 10 at the top of the hill. It was pretty frustrating for us as they made it to the pit lane under a red flag, swapped the tire when the yellow came out and were back on the track without a black flag or missing more than a lap, while we were left with more damage and a lot more time off the track. These guys were next to us yelling at people the whole day and ended up leaving before the end of the race after complaining about not making the podium. Even worse was the driver's apology basically saying that because they are a more serious racing team than us, it's expected that they are more aggressive and he was sorry that I didn't see him passing. Overall it was a great learning experience for us as a team! We still had a blast! More videos of the BBQ to come.

Oh yeah and if you want a good laugh keep watching to video and you will see the "yelling all day" that I was mentioning.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Was the tire squeal before the hit you or him?  I think its him but its hard to tell.

Porbably him trying not to hit me. He said his abs had stopped working which was a factor for him.

Pretty bad on me for not seeing him coming regardless.

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

Porbably him trying not to hit me. He said his abs had stopped working which was a factor for him.

Pretty bad on me for not seeing him coming regardless.

I don't think anyone could have avoided that one. He came in from a long way back.

• Like 1

We just got back from our 15hr Hike home. exhausted and running on fumes.

Thank you to the staff for organizing such a great series.

We couldn't have been more happier with our weekend results with our first US podium... I think this is a fitting end to our great season. Time to rebuild and get ready for more battles for 2018.

24301022_10155615282686208_6002611394889473954_n.jpg

Edited by KSRD
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

I don't think anyone could have avoided that one. He came in from a long way back.

And maybe its just me being a semi-rookie, but why take the risk on a car you are clearly faster than.  if you had that much of a run, wait 6 seconds to hit the downhill before hogpin and take the inside there after you've been in his mirror for a few seconds and presented yourself.  Seems like a bit of red-mist in the e36.

The guy in the pits yelling...seriously

Thank you all for a great weekend! 

Our car (the car without a rear in Farran05’s vid) ran like a swiss watch till two hours to go on Sunday, then it blew up.  That is life. 

I drove the car for over seven hours between the two days.  THANK YOU ALL for the close racing, what a hoot.  Congratulations to our pit stall compatriots (in the Ford Probe) on the podium on Sunday; they are a good group of real nice guys that were fun to hang around with.

Farran05,

Thanks for posting the vid of the start.  I thought I was in that till ‘Moses’ parted the waters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

And maybe its just me being a semi-rookie, but why take the risk on a car you are clearly faster than.  if you had that much of a run, wait 6 seconds to hit the downhill before hogpin and take the inside there after you've been in his mirror for a few seconds and presented yourself.  Seems like a bit of red-mist in the e36.

There is always that guy, right? 

And if one had that much of a run, wouldn't that give enough time to plan your pass? No matter where on the track? Oh right... there's always that guy.... Nevermind. Carry on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

In my opinion he wasn't intending to pass. Simply missed his braking point and used the car as the rest of the brake.

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KSRD said:

We just got back from our 15hr Hike home. exhausted and running on fumes.

Thank you to the staff for organizing such a great series.

We couldn't have been more happier with our weekend results with our first US podium... I think this is a fitting end to our great season. Time to rebuild and get ready for more battles for 2018.

24301022_10155615282686208_6002611394889473954_n.jpg

I think I should charge royalties for half of my E39 540i wagon in the backround. LOL!

Good job guys! Looking forward to racing you again in 2018!

Edited by Wyatt

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

I think I should charge royalties for half of my E39 540i wagon in the backround. LOL!

Good job guys! Looking forward to racing you again in 2018!

Humble brag at its best!  Cool car though.

Congrats to Ken and the Junction team!  Nice work fellas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

In my opinion he wasn't intending to pass. Simply missed his braking point and used the car as the rest of the brake.

Annnnddddd.... because he's 'that guy' he tries to make it look like the other guy's fault any way.... a truly lovely person....

Edited by FlorahDorah