E30 Expansion Tank Delete

AV8Driver

Yes that is the tank I am referring to.  I have it out right now and considering not putting it back if I can vent the tank in a more simplified manner.  Seems like the stock venting design is overly complex and since emissions aren't a factor it could be done away with.

One of its functions is that in any rollover it does not allow fuel to dump out in any degree the car is left(upside down, left, right). If you are having venting issues, check the big line running inboard of right rear tire. We've had issues on both our e30's. The cover gets filled with dirt and the line becomes pinched.

We run no charcoal canister on our cars. You can refer to this thread about deleting it and the hose running to the engine compartment if you are worried about fuel vapors. In Europe they didn't run the charcoal canisters and vented the system to atmosphere right near the tank. We ran a hose from the plastic tube to just in front of the fuel tank.

http://spece30.com/forum/43-fuel-system/63746-charcoal-canister-removal?limit=10&start=10
"I plan to terminate my canister vent line the way it's done on euro E30s that didn't have a charcoal canister from the factory. They simply vent to the atmosphere through a rubber end on the small plastic line from the top of the plastic tank. The rubber end drops down next to the gas tank near the fuel pump. Although I may use a small filter instead of the rubber end in order to keep spiders out of my tank. I know I've seen pictures of said rubber end, but too busy to search the web at the moment.

The rubber end piece is shown as #12 here:

realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1231&mospid=47263&btnr=16_0104&hg=16&fg=10

As for gas spilling out of the canister vent line in a roll over, I don't see how that could happen. Gas would have to get to the plastic tank in the fender and then work it's way down the canister vent line. When the car is upside down the canister line is the high point and liquids don't flow uphill. If the car is lying on the passenger side, although the plastic tank would fill with gas, the canister line is still at the high point. When lying on the driver side the plastic tank is the high point and gas won't even leave the main tank."

I deleted all that stuff in my E30 race car (not chump car).  I added a roll-over valve and then a solid vent line that runs up the C pillar and back down.  My vent line is a bit small so it tends to be a bit sensitive to turn off gas pumps if I try to fill full blast.  Filling with a jug seems to be fine though.  It isn't as fast as our chump car though where a lot of emphasis was placed on the fastest fill possible.

I just finished re-installing the stock expansion tank and replaced all the intermediate fuel lines that connect it to the vent lines.  I retained the two stock plastic vent lines (after cleaning them up) that route through the "culvert" to the tank.  I also replaced the larger vent hose (the one with the braided fabric sleeve) with a piece of 7/16" ID rubber fuel hose, which is a slightly smaller ID than that stock one so took a little effort to connect.  All three fed through the culvert with about 5min of work.  I tossed the metal cover (rust) and right now have the vent lines held against the tire well with zip ties.  I am going to terminate the charcoal line on the driver side of the fuel tank and put a small filter on the end.