ELD Mandate

22 hours ago, karman1970 said:

Surprised they don't already exist since lots of companies have been using electronic logs for several years.

Oh, the tech's out there -- it's just not the sort of thing one orders from Amazon, if you're picking up what I'm putting down. ;)

On 12/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, karman1970 said:

Surprised they don't already exist since lots of companies have been using electronic logs for several years.

Didn't read the link, but the mention of electronic logs reminds me. Pre 99 semi's have gone up in value.

No ECU's.

Ie No electronic logs.

With the emissions crap there's not really a mileage penalty compared to a brand new one I'm told.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Amature road racers.

Make zero money.

Do not sell the DOT/Police any t-shirts.

Everyone on my team drives for free.

We do this for fun.

Have a nice day officer, thank's for not tazzing me.

• Like 4

• Members
23 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Amature road racers.

Make zero money.

We do this for fun.

That's all great... so long as the combined gross tow ratings of your truck and trailer is under 26k lbs.  Most of you guys out there with your new dually pickups and 2 car gooseneck haulers, this new rule affects you.  

And please be aware.  It's not the actual weight you are towing, it's the max allowable weight you can tow.  If you're truck is rated for 15,000lbs and your trailer 11,000lbs then you're technically subject to CDL laws (it doesn't matter if the trailer and truck are empty or not).  The great thing has always been that most law enforcement has never really understood the rules themselves, BUT with the new ELD mandate I expect a lot of the fresh young officers straight out of the academies to have been drilled on these rules.

• Technical Advisory Committee
9 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

My Ram 4x4 2500 6.7L can tow 17,210.
My trailer is registered for 10,000.

27210 = FRACK

Is that towing capacity documented somewhere ( Like on the door sticker like GVWR)?  Otherwise, how are they to know? 

Same with the trailer?  My trailer is old and the sticker is worn off, who's to say how much it can carry (I have one that has 3x 7500lb axles, ouch)

2 hours ago, riche30 said:

That's all great... so long as the combined gross tow ratings of your truck and trailer is under 26k lbs.  Most of you guys out there with your new dually pickups and 2 car gooseneck haulers, this new rule affects you.  

ELDs are for commercial vehicles... don't mix up the need for a higher class *drivers* license (Class A, B, etc.) with the need for *commercial* license.  A non-commercial Class A covers your heavy trailer bases until the money part comes in...

• Members

I called my local police department and requested a call and counsel from their commercial officer and got a prompt call back.  I am in Virginia.

Basically a few things the said. If under 26,000lbs you are OK if you are not commercial use. If I have a race car in the trailer and do not make money then OK. They take the trucks GCRW and trailer towing capacity, add them up and if under 26,000 then OK. If over, uggggg.

So my situation is this currently and fine.

Truck 08 f250 v10 12,5000 and trailer 9,990 (in the VA DMW we can put what we want on the registration) I am all good.

Now I am looking to sell my nice 28' trailer to get a 34" triple axle so I can fit two cars. I should be in the 11,000 lb range with two cars and towing. My truck is rated to tow 12,500 so you would think I would be fine. The issue is the trailer is rated to 15,600 max towing. So I am at 28,100 total based on adding the two together. I asked the manufacture if they could just rate it for less, like 12,500 and the person said they just buy them that way.

Now he did say an RV is exempt. I wonder what I would need to do to make a little living area in area, I do plan to mount a small bed up high up front. Maybe add a make shift sink and rv toilet and we can call it an RV? I wonder how that would work.

• Like 1

• Members
7 hours ago, Bandit said:

RV's have always been exempt. Hence toy haulers.

89 year old guy with the air brake equipped.... yeah. Always been legal.

Stay under 26k and you have zero worries.

How you haul two cars in an enclosed trailer and be under 26K is the issue for me. Truck max is 12500, trailer will only have 11,000 in it but trailer rated for 15600 is the issue.

8 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I called my local police department and requested a call and counsel from their commercial officer and got a prompt call back.  I am in Virginia.

Basically a few things the said. If under 26,000lbs you are OK if you are not commercial use. If I have a race car in the trailer and do not make money then OK. They take the trucks GCRW and trailer towing capacity, add them up and if under 26,000 then OK. If over, uggggg.

So my situation is this currently and fine.

Truck 08 f250 v10 12,5000 and trailer 9,990 (in the VA DMW we can put what we want on the registration) I am all good.

Now I am looking to sell my nice 28' trailer to get a 34" triple axle so I can fit two cars. I should be in the 11,000 lb range with two cars and towing. My truck is rated to tow 12,500 so you would think I would be fine. The issue is the trailer is rated to 15,600 max towing. So I am at 28,100 total based on adding the two together. I asked the manufacture if they could just rate it for less, like 12,500 and the person said they just buy them that way.

Now he did say an RV is exempt. I wonder what I would need to do to make a little living area in area, I do plan to mount a small bed up high up front. Maybe add a make shift sink and rv toilet and we can call it an RV? I wonder how that would work.

Hey Troy,

This is exactly what I had to do with my bus, or RV as it is now known.

There is a minimum equipment list for a powered vehicle to be known as a RV. You also need a cooking facilities perhaps.  We had to satisfy 4 out 7 components. This was a direct copy of the American standards. 

• Like 1

My wife was driving a Suburban polling a 7000lb Featherlite aluminum open trailer EMPTY. Zero signage on either.

At the gas station.

MN State Patrolman asks her what's up. She sez on my way to go get a car for our car lot.

Got warning tickets for no health card,no DOT # displayed(we do have one but geez),no logbook ,no mudflaps,etc etc etc.

At least in MN it's all about if you are in business.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 6:05 AM, Bill Strong said:

Amature road racers.

Make zero money.

We do this for fun.

My boss wanted to put the company logo on the side of my trailer.  I politely put him off.  Now I'll NEVER do that.  ugh

here is how I read this...

The CDL requirement is not new...  says right on the CDL license, single vehicle over 26000 lbs, or Combination where the trailer is over 10000...

I dont think any of that changed; even this whole "trophy = compensation" debate is old news..  if you really want to be considered non commercial, and therefore except, this is the game you play.  But again, nothing new here, if you drive a topkick / toterhome and have a fancy paint scheme, expect to be harassed, especially when out of state.

The federal guidance on this is, as long as you take any prize money as "ordinary income", you dont deduct the cost of activities as a business expense, and you dont have corporate sponsors, you are non commercial...

In my state (WI) as long as what I tow is less than 45'  and considered an "RV" or under 10K...  I am non commercial, dont need a CDL and exempt from FMCSA.  That said, nothing prevents you from being stopped for the "safety inspection" and its not all that easy to prove who gets the sponsor money for all those stickers on your car...  and you can expect to burn some time while they pull out the scales and check to see if there is any reason they can keep you off the road. 

The new rules are about the ELD, and the issue is, your daily driver truck will potentially nanny on you, or require you to enter exemptions during every use, or during family vacations etc...

but...

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-exceptions-are-allowed-electronic-logging-device-rule

The ELD rule only applies if you drive more than 8 days within a 30 day period...  otherwise, just get your CDL, keep paper logs when towing, and you are fine.

the original article even called this out

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the “occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise” apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.”

which seems like it specifically addresses most of our use cases

You may or may not need a CDL depending on your state...   as long as you dont operate as a business you are exempt...  and if you do operate it as a business, you can probably do paper logs as you arent driving more than 8 days in 30...

I mean if your business is driving horses around, or your hobby allows you to drive more than 8 days in 30 while towing...  I have a hard time felling sorry that you have to comply with the laws...  if you dont want to have to board your horses due to a mandated stop, you should bring another licensed driver along, and have them clock in.

14 hours ago, Racedad said:

My wife was driving a Suburban polling a 7000lb Featherlite aluminum open trailer EMPTY. Zero signage on either.

At the gas station.

MN State Patrolman asks her what's up. She sez on my way to go get a car for our car lot.

Got warning tickets for no health card,no DOT # displayed(we do have one but geez),no logbook ,no mudflaps,etc etc etc.

At least in MN it's all about if you are in business.

Surprised the guy even asked, but Troopers are generally a bit harder.

But yes, if used for business it's a bit different. Even if under 26k.