notbob

No more racecast.me, so what's the next best option?

Twitch has commercials. We were actually working with them until we found out about those. we can't have commercials over our existing ones.

For those wanting to stream on youtube, it looks like they removed the sub requirements....or at least I can't find them in the app.  Only thing I found it required was a verified account and no live stream restrictions in the past 90 days.  Here is google's how to on it:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

Edited by Jab31169

On 1/31/2018 at 1:53 PM, Jab31169 said:

For those wanting to stream on youtube, it looks like they removed the sub requirements....or at least I can't find them in the app.  Only thing I found it required was a verified account and no live stream restrictions in the past 90 days.  Here is google's how to on it:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

I don’t have a “Go live” button. Just “Record”

Edited by frankrehnelt

Can anyone recommend a 4g LTE hotspot that doesn't overheat, crash, is easily powered in the car and works with an AT&T sim card.  We are using a YI action cam and while it works with a phone hotspot the phone is prone to not working for more than a few hours.  I'm kinda overwhelmed with the choices and just curious what others have good luck with that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks

I've been looking at the Netgear Unite Explore for reference but I know nothing about all this fancy wireless technology. 

Edited by dvot

I think for now I am going to use whatsapp in the car cam(phone). Which will be in a video call to my laptop in the pits, skype will be the backup. I'll relay the video to a stream on youtube, twitch, or facebook. Main advantage for this is it will eliminate lag from car to pits.

Side note, I have been looking into the FPV cameras that people mount onto RC planes and vehicles. But there is no simple box solution, because different antennas will perform different. Lower ghz will perform better when not in line of site, but higher will go longer... Anyone have experience with these?

At a place like Road America, the range would never go over 1200m. And in this video you can see that the transmitted video on the top right is still very clear.

Oh, I've already nerded out quite a bit on this doing calculations for a linear antenna array:
image.png.3f862dd8b28566b4010dc49b23889b2d.png

Edited by Mike.g

Just an Update but we had probably our best streaming success so far using the YI 4k Action cam and a Netgear ruggedized Unite Explore Hotspot.  The encoding straight out of the camera and uploaded to youtube with the hotspot worked like a charm.  The audio was even pretty decent and it looked good.  ran for nearly ten hours on saturday with zero issues.  Would have ran fine on sunday but it did not get plugged into power correctly.  You use an app on your phone to trigger the live stream to youtube.  This is most definitely the easiest and cheapest solution that works we have tried.  

Daniel

• Thanks 1

^ awesome! I have just purchased 2 of these cameras to use for ChampCar.live

I did email Yi support to see if we could get a firmware upgrade to allow 720/30 instead of 720/60. They said "no".

@Bill Strong @dvot   just so I am understanding, once you have the stream initiated on the YI 4k using your phone to generate the code, etc, then phone is not needed, only the YI and the hotspot in the car correct? This sounds reasonably simple. How is it on restarts if the streaming stops? 

Bill, have you discovered anything better since March? And how is the 4g @ VIR.... I love live streaming and am tempted to get this set up for the 24.

The YI encodes the video and sends it to the cellular wifi hotspot which uploads it to youtube.  The cell phone is used only to set-up and initiate the stream via a QR code that the camera scans. The cell phone doesn't ride in the car.  It works well for us.  If it goes down we aren't going to put effort on a pitstop to get it back going.  Seems more reliable than a Go-Pro to encoder to wifi.  I dunno.  Its a neat little camera.  We are hoping the Race Capture Pro we use gets better control over it soon. 

I saw one of the teams at MSR last weekend with the YI cam, looked REALLY nice but there were only 20 cars racing and they seemed to be the only one broadcasting.    If it works well with a full field then it might be worth switching over to. 

For the last 2 races we have used an older tablet to stream video from our car using a program called VSee (Free Messenger). Biggest bonus, no delay! The video is in real time, no delay like we had in race cast. This is a great system for streaming back to your pits. Not super handy handy for streaming out beyond that unless you a level 60 nerd :)

You can install the VSee program on PC's and mobile devices. I created 2 accounts, one for the car and one for the pits. The nicest feature on the mobile device is you can set it to auto answer calls. So lets say for some reason you got disconnected, from the pits you can start a video call with the car and it will auto connect. To make that happen smoothly you'll need to disable the lock screen feature on the mobile device. So when you turn on the screen, it goes right to the home screen. No slide to show, or whatever.  Minus any power issues we had, this worked great for us. (I would have used Skype, but they removed the auto connect feature several versions ago, so no).

For data, we use Total wireless. 25GB and 4 devices for $100 bucks a month. We hardly went over 4gb for the entire weekend. You can get a smart phone from Walmart for under 50 bucks and be ready to stream from the car!

I used XSplit broadcaster to stream out from the pits. It should give you a good idea of what we could see.

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1