The Snow Fell on the Alabama Grand Prix Results

Bill Strong

I watched for a while on Youtube Live. Was rooting for Mopar4Life who went south and brought the snow. A Good run both days guys! Well done.

This broadcast was the best quality yet! In car cameras were clear and not choppy and the Burningham/Biohazard battle on Sunday was great from Burninghams's in-car camera. I'd rather watch a Champcar race on youtube than any other race now.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

End of the race today was awesome. It was really cool to be able to watch online since we didn’t get to the track.

Bill, I really enjoyed the pit lane interviews during the red flag today. The only thing I would ask is that you not only ask the guys and gals who they are , but also which team and car number they’re with. It would really help us that are new to the series to put names and faces to the teams/cars. :)

Outstanding job by the ChampCast crew!

• Like 6

• Administrators

Thanks guys.  My crew, Chelsey Vickery, Doc Waldrop, Tiffany Alexander, and of course the incomparable Paulie Veltum make this show the standard of affordable endurance racing. Made by racers, for racers.

I have added a few hundred free images in the original post.  

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, riche30 said:

What an interesting weekend... 

So much understatement. Between the weather, the racing, and the challenges faced by several teams it was exciting for me at home.

I followed on race monitor and was glued to it for the final hour yesterday. P1 and P2 trading places and no more than 3 seconds apart, turning very fast lap times.

Congratulations to Cone Crushers for succeeding at endurance racing.

Kudos to every person that showed up to race, help, flag, administrate...   I was happy to be home.

Edited by revvhappy
  • Like 2

• Members
Just now, revvhappy said:

So much understatement. Between the weather, the racing, and the challenges faced by several teams it was exciting for me at home.

I followed on race monitor and was glued to it for the final hour yesterday. P1 and P2 trading places and no more than 3 seconds apart, turning very fast lap times.

Yep.. all that then they took each other out and gave the race to Cone Crushers, who was sitting on pit road for a PUY penalty.  

I'll type a more in depth review later but Wine-um-Dine-um had a great weekend at our home track.  Was a great way for us to close out the year after all the trouble we had in the beginning.  Got a lot of stuff figured out, got our fuel stops done way before the timer was done all weekend.  Didn't have any issues with the car, had a few close calls, only one real contact with a car because the car in front of it decided to break over turn 4 for some reason.  I know we tracked them down and apologized.  I only had one real close call on Sunday that I wasn't really happy with and I let it affect me for the next 20 mins or so.  I let myself get bulled coming onto the front straight and I let it get in my head along with letting 5 cars by in the aftermath.  Waiting on the video but If I had held my line it would of been trouble for both teams.

Almost two top 10 finishes and a 3rd in class....yea I'll take that.  Great weekend, once in a lifetime experience for sure racing in Alabama in the snow!

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone that made this event go so smoothly! I love Champcar!

Our trip started out no so good. An hour into the drive we sheered off studs on a trailer wheel (3 hour fix) and then bounced the trailer off of the hitch at 70 mph 30 minutes after the repair. Safety chains work!! Scary, but we got away with only tearing the tongue jack off the trailer. We then argued about which one of us didn't "latch" it down..

Decided to avoid Atlanta now since traffic would suck and struck off on the back roads. Ended up driving 25 mph for 1 1/2 hours through snow covered, slick roads. My hands are still tired from the death grip on the wheel. Did I mention that we also lost trailer brakes? Ah, only about 6,000 lbs. behind us! The old GMC 4x4 diesel rocks!

We eventually made it to the track and registration at 6:30pm!

The race for us was nerve racking at first because neither of us had ever been to Barber and here we show up in a big ol American car! Sorry for being in the way for a lot of you for our first few hours but eventually we started getting around there pretty good. I tried racing the cars that I could race with and letting faster cars through that would come into my rear view and run me down. I think my buddy did the same thing. If anyone thinks we may have raced them too hard,  you should have been faster! :) 

The only contact I had was with a light blue(?) Miata in the sweeper at pit in. I moved up to the outside and thought I had given at least a lane and a half to the inside. The next thing I know, he slams into the side of me. I could be wrong but I think he lost the rear end and it hit me hard behind my front tire and door(seemed too aggressive but highly unlikely since it was a Miata!). Could be wrong, wish I had video at the time. I continued on and never saw them again during my stint. Hope their car was okay. Never heard from them so maybe they thought it was my fault. 

Nevertheless, the car performed great and at the end of the day, we made a few small changes and started looking forward to Sunday.

On Sunday in the third hour, the water pump locked up apparently and sheered the manual fan off which collided with the radiator and oil cooler lines. Ended our day but we got home just in time to watch The Walking Dead!!

Again, hats off to the staff and drivers!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, revvhappy said:

I was grading final projects and needed to dedicate some attention to the process.

Do NOT let it happen again. There will be dire consequences (I could just hold you at pit out again...). You have been warned.

The broadcast is on YouTube for your viewing pleasure...We missed you at the track this year.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Do NOT let it happen again. There will be dire consequences (I could just hold you at pit out again...). You have been warned.

The broadcast is on YouTube for your viewing pleasure...We missed you at the track this year.

Almost any visit with you is a pleasure, Doc (except for the pit-out thing...:D). 

The Supra will be back at RA in February. I hope that we win the weather lottery that weekend. 

• Like 4