wvumtnbkr

Nelson Ledges test day?

On 4/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep.  That is after the repave and I haven't been to this track since 2013.  I expect that we can get another 2 + seconds out of the car during a race, especially if it is warmer and hadn't rained a while lot.

I think the champcar fast lap will be around a 1:15 during the race....

Fast lap from the last chumpcar race is a 1:19.9.  Set in 2013 by one of the swapped mr2s.

Knowing the car and knowing the track, I would bet the MR2s will be closer to 10 to 12 seconds a lap faster now as the reduction of 400+ pounds of un-needed weight will really help.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Knowing the car and knowing the track, I would bet the MR2s will be closer to 10 to 12 seconds a lap faster now as the reduction of 400+ pounds of un-needed weight will really help.

10 to 12 seconds would be amazing!  That would be like a 20 second reduction at Watkins Glen!  

15 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Get the tape measures out

Probably only need the first half of a 6" ruler 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

he was 4 seconds faster at Pitt

Pitt is a longer laptime track.  Therefore, the time would be less of a gain, not more.

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I don't think you weigh 400 pounds....

On 4/30/2018 at 9:52 AM, tommytipover said:

Holy cow! Be careful out there boys and girls, if you leave the racing surface, the speeds will be up there and the sudden stop penalties will be high.

Indeed.  A bump at the apex, hmmm.  Might mean a lift to settle, which is fine.  I will be pounding my guys about the importance of staying on the track, especially since I'll be installing a splitter and wing.  I need to remind myself even more, haha.  I expected my Miata should be in the 1:17 range, but damn, a 1:15?  Guess we will see.  

This is such a man's track, but luckily I recruited a bunch of strong drivers to pilot the car.  Can't wait.

14 minutes ago, Jer said:

Indeed.  A bump at the apex, hmmm.  Might mean a lift to settle, which is fine.  I will be pounding my guys about the importance of staying on the track, especially since I'll be installing a splitter and wing.  I need to remind myself even more, haha.  I expected my Miata should be in the 1:17 range, but damn, a 1:15?  Guess we will see.  

This is such a man's track, but luckily I recruited a bunch of strong drivers to pilot the car.  Can't wait.

Better to have strong drivers than Strong drivers. 

• Haha 5

This is such a man's track,    

Is that statement similar to.   "Hold my beer and watch this". 

33 minutes ago, Jer said:

Everybody is going to lift most of the time.  You can't help it even if the car can do it.....  It isnt worth any time really to go flat out through there and it just makes the next braking zone less forgiving.

To clarify, I did not do a 1:15.  That is my guess as to what the fast laps of the race will be.  Unless Biohazard shows up, apparently Bill Strong thinks they will do a 1:08....

This is my wifes favorite track.....  Man's track....  She smoked your butt last time we raced there together.... 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Everybody is going to lift most of the time.  You can't help it even if the car can do it.....  It isnt worth any time really to go flat out through there and it just makes the next braking zone less forgiving.

To clarify, I did not do a 1:15.  That is my guess as to what the fast laps of the race will be.  Unless Biohazard shows up, apparently Bill Strong thinks they will do a 1:08....

This is my wifes favorite track.....  Man's track....  She smoked your butt last time we raced there together.... 😂

Maybe she did!  Last time I was there our first driver destroyed the trans, and we ended up with 4th gear and only 4th gear.  It was really hard to get going off pit road.  I was pretty proud of my 1:22 using only 4th. 

When I say man's track, I do not mean that as derogatory comment to your wife.  I know her, she's fast on the track and a good person, congrats.  But I guess it takes a lot of courage to be fast at NL.  Courage to drive deep into the carousel, courage to hustle the car around 1-2-3, and courage through the kink.  And it takes courage to go fast in pitch black night conditions, often with fog rolling in.  Or stupidity.  You can probably substitute stupidity for courage in the above.  L  When you screw up at NL, it could mean a rollover, a flip, or something hit HARD.  It's the anti-NCM.  

Edited by Jer

12 minutes ago, Jer said:

Maybe she did!  Last time I was there our first driver destroyed the trans, and we ended up with 4th gear and only 4th gear.  It was really hard to get going off pit road.  I was pretty proud of my 1:22 using only 4th. 

When I say man's track, I do not mean that as derogatory comment to your wife.  I know her, she's fast on the track and a good person, congrats.  But I guess it takes a lot of courage to be fast at NL.  Courage to drive deep into the carousel, courage to hustle the car around 1-2-3, and courage through the kink.  And it takes courage to go fast in pitch black night conditions, often with fog rolling in.  Or stupidity.  You can probably substitute stupidity for courage in the above.  L  When you screw up at NL, it could mean a rollover, a flip, or something hit HARD.  It's the anti-NCM.  

I didnt mean to make it sound like I was actually offended (I am not and she wouldnt be either!).

It does take huge attachments to run Nelson's quickly.  At driver changes Julie gives the cajones back while we are swapping HANS devices.  It is all worked into the choreography of the pit stop sequence.

I remember you and I battling the last or second to last stint in the dark.  My lights sucked so bad that I ran my fastest laps trying to catch you so i could use your headlights to see!

• Haha 2

lol! we did that our first race there with Lemons in 2009... scary in the fog too!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

lol! we did that our first race there with Lemons in 2009... scary in the fog too!

I remember that race, and more so, the mandatory Friday practice where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face through the fog.  Terrifying because no one even knew the track then.  

Is anybody going to the May 23rd test event? Nelson has told me details to come, but it's a week away.

Paulie Veltum said he was going to go on his way to WGI

Tire wear seemed okay.  We were doing 20 minute stints, so tough to tell.  

I am bringing 2 full sets.  I expect not to run out of tires...

15 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Tire wear seemed okay.  We were doing 20 minute stints, so tough to tell.  

I am bringing 2 full sets.  I expect not to run out of tires...

What were you running?

225 45 15 RS4 that were heat cycled by tire rack.  2400 pound RX7

No visible wear after about 2 total hours of track time.

It was cold, and teh stints were short so I never got good tire temps.

We usually start out around 27 and bleed them down to 34 hot at the first stop.

5 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

225 45 15 RS4 that were heat cycled by tire rack.  2400 pound RX7

No visible wear after about 2 total hours of track time.

It was cold, and teh stints were short so I never got good tire temps.

We usually start out around 27 and bleed them down to 34 hot at the first stop.

Good to know.  We tried the ZIIIs at RA 2 weeks ago and loved them, but now they're out of stock, so we'll likely be trying the RS4's.  As long as we can get rid of our RT615K's.