New VPi table is out - 1803 - 12/22/2017

• Members
2 hours ago, 55mini said:

So the MR2 is now equal to a 90-93 1.6 Miata both in stock form of course. Nice to see a change but still a little low I think?

A stock Miata is way faster than a stock mr2 on a road course and why you do not see a field a 17 mr2's on a track. The weight of the mr2 and susp handling of the Miata is far superior.  I daily drive a Miata. 

Since I don't have a copy of the early 2017 points in front of me, first let me bitch and moan about that: Common guys. Make things red when you change them. It's easy when you're the one doing it.  It's probably your job. Then, give me an excel document I can actually work with. Also, please keep your file naming conventions consistent or leave up old versions where I can find them for projects like this. ARRRG

Bitching aside, here's what I've found as differences between the '18 v1 (created and posted in October) and the most recent v3.

There were more deletions than there were additions.

Out are the Austin-Healey Sprite, all the AMC, all the Buicks, Cadillac Allante, Catera, Cimarron, DeVille, Eldorado, all of the Daewoo, the Dodge Monaco, Diplomat, Rampage, St. Regis, and all Eagles except the Talon. Gone too are a bunch of Isuzu and the two Lancia, most of the Plymouths, two Oldsmobile, Renaults and Rovers. I HOPE YOU WEREN'T BUILDING ANY OF THOSE. or a Yugo.... that's gone too.

Added are the BMW E39 (M52B28) 480 pt and E46 (M54B30) at 530 pt

New are Mercedes-Benz E320 at 450 pt and the E430 at 500 pt. THE NEW 500 POINT STANDARD IN LUXURY

I'm excited about the Nissan Xterra ready to roll over at 500 points. (The 350Z was added with other cars in 18 v1. SWAP IN THOSE VQ BABY!)

Jetta TDI is formally listed at 400 pt

BMW E46 (M52TUB28) is down 60 pt to 510

Corvettes from, 85-91 were dropped to the same points as the 84 (-20pt to 530)

Dodge Stealth RT (DOHC V6) was dropped 50 points down to 450 pt

Early Mini Coopers went down 50 points with more years now available

Saturn S Series poitns are down 50

2nd gen MR2 are up 50 points in the only increase from the October version.

But Toyota Tercel points are down as much as 125 points.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

PS.

If you hadn't noticed the October version, some things which stood out to me then were a slew of NEW CARS circa 2008-2009 including the Mustang V6 as a 500 point option and Nissan 350Z entering the field at 570 points. I've made offhand remarks about those and other additions in previous threads. Our NB Miata went down to 450 points at that time and the NC Miatas became available as a 500 point car.

Edited by takjak2

24 minutes ago, Aquafi Racing said:

My 1992 189 hp e36 is the same point value as a 2000 225 hp sc300 and a 1998 220 hp toyota supra.  Maybe time to lighten up on the BMW's and let them stay competitive. I know everybody hates them but that point rating doesn't really seem right.

E46 330 is 530.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aquafi Racing said:

My 1992 189 hp e36 is the same point value as a 2000 225 hp sc300 and a 1998 220 hp toyota supra.  Maybe time to lighten up on the BMW's and let them stay competitive. I know everybody hates them but that point rating doesn't really seem right.

I'd build a case with weights, hp, fuel capacity, results, suspension type, etc and send it to Mike and Phil.  

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

I'd build a case with weights, hp, fuel capacity, results, suspension type, etc and send it to Mike and Phil.  

:lol::lol: Don't you guys keep saying  fuel capacity is the one rule that is here to stay.  You chose your car.  Can't add hp then expect more fuel, now live with it.  Don't compare fuel capacity with a BMW... :lol::lol:

• Like 1

^^it is a rule that should stay.   So that's  one way you compare vpi values...at least I do.   The sc300 probably has more than a Bimmer, I'd include that in a propsal.  Is an e36 lighter than the Lexus?    

Im pretty sure I'm being dense..I missed why it was funny.    

It be sweet to add cams to our 2.2 in the Miata and then be able to increase fuel  a few gallons....as it is if we make that much power we'd have to make a lot more pit stops.   

On 12/22/2017 at 6:42 PM, 55mini said:

So the MR2 is now equal to a 90-93 1.6 Miata both in stock form of course. Nice to see a change but still a little low I think?

On 12/22/2017 at 9:34 PM, MR2 Biohazard said:

A stock Miata is way faster than a stock mr2 on a road course and why you do not see a field a 17 mr2's on a track. The weight of the mr2 and susp handling of the Miata is far superior.  I daily drive a Miata. 

How about the 240SX for comparison.

The 240 is heavier, has almost identical suspension, similar brakes, a tiny bit more brake horsepower, but probably similar at the wheels, all with a weight balance that isn't as good as the mid engine MR2 and here we are at 350 points?

Either the MR2 is too low, or we're too high.  In keeping costs down, I'd say raising values is "cheaper" than lowering them, so there's that.....

Edited by SonsOfIrony
I can haz spell?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/23/2017 at 12:25 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

How about the 240SX for comparison.

The 240 is heavier, has almost identical suspension, similar breaks, a tiny bit more brake horsepower, but probably similar at the wheels, all with a weight balance that isn't as good as the mod engine MR2 and here we are at 350 points?

Either the MR2 is too low, or we're too high.  In keeping costs down, I'd say raising values is "cheaper" than lowering them, so there's that.....

240SX should be more competitive stock for stock but isn't due largely to points imo.  The car got hammered due to one pro built cheating unicorn team and all the other cars fielded suffered for it. And yeah.  240sx is nose heavy AF.  #freethe240sxpoints ;)

• Like 5

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 12/23/2017 at 12:25 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

similar breaks, a tiny bit more brake horsepower,

Lol,  How do you spell it wrong and right in the same sentence

M54B30 330 e46 will be an excellent choice... bring on the newer bimmers

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Huggy said:

Lol,  How do you spell it wrong and right in the same sentence

Posting from a cell phone, while at work.  I have fat thumbs, and was trying to fly under the radar.  Didn't help that the thread disappeared just after I posted, so I couldn't review.

• Like 3