Bill Strong

New VPi table is out - 1803 - 12/22/2017

Just now, MoparBoyy said:

i guess, but the avg finish for a model changes when 15 teams run one model, then us who are the only team who run a 626.

Exactly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

^and hence the data could use some normalizing.

and standard deviation bars

Edited by enginerd

26 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

umm.. how is the Mazda 626  the highest car on this graph?

Looks like the 626 might be the new gold standard 500 point car... way to ruin a model for everyone else that was planning on building one.  :lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ron_e said:

Looks like the 626 might be the new gold standard 500 point car... way to ruin a model for everyone else that was planning on building one.  :lol::lol:

hahahaaha.  I can't help it we made a free car with a cage fast.

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

You should feel honored.  You over drove the car's ability, that's my takeaway from it.  It's just data, you can make whatever you like out of it, the red and green boxes are just one subjective finding from it.  As someone said above this assumes the car is the only variable, which anybody should know is not the case.  

So in the 626 the car's ability was "overdriven" but in other cases the car needs an adjustment?!  hahahahaha 

47 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Darn it. And we were hoping to ruin a different model for everybody else planning on building one. :ph34r:

S. 

4 minutes ago, Jer said:

So in the 626 the car's ability was "overdriven" but in other cases the car needs an adjustment?!  hahahahaha 

I'm pretty sure us getting a mid-sized 4 door sedan with 130hp to 5th overall at Sebring would be overdriven to say the least!

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jer said:

Those are your words not mine. Maybe all the cars on the bottom are overdriven who knows? 

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 1

What are the lap times for the super awesome 626 compared to FTD?.    How many times did they spin the 626 and loose a lap and come back top catch the leader.?  How many times did the 626 go from last to 1st in less than two hours?  What's the power to weight for the 626?  Facts can be so helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

umm.. how is the Mazda 626  the highest car on this graph?

and we haven't even put the pros in the car yet. Good thing they don't matter. :ph34r:

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

What are the lap times for the super awesome 626 compared to FTD?.    How many times did they spin the 626 and loose a lap and come back top catch the leader.?  How many times did the 626 go from last to 1st in less than two hours?  What's the power to weight for the 626?  Facts can be so helpful. 

Many seconds off pace. None, never. Never. 18 lb/hp. 

• Like 2

You people are putting far too much importance behind these graphs... they are woefully inadequate for drawing conclusions and making adjustments to the series.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, enginerd said:

You people are putting far too much importance behind these graphs... they are woefully inadequate for drawing conclusions and making adjustments to the series.

Understatement of the day.  It's like apples and oranges being served with some red herring.  Or something 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think many of us are taking this one very seriously. The number of samples is so small for some data sets that the mean finishing position can easily be skewed. And that doesn't even take into account various other factors. 

S. 

2 hours ago, NigelStu said:

Because you:

A - picked a car that no-one else did, so all the data is based on 1 team

B - Did well with it, placing well in the few races you did without any bad races

I would like to see a # of teams running each model to go along with this graph.

This graph mirrors the Make/Model data I presented in another thread. Your answer is in the Tech section

3 hours ago, NigelStu said:

Neat chart - what were the parameters used to get the % on the y-axis?  Is that where in the field the average finishing position was or ???

Is this normalized or straight calculation?

I'd be interested to see how this chart changes with removing data-points of "non-finishes", say any data points where the car finishes less than 50% of the leader's lap count gets pulled from the calculation.

I took the finishing data from 800 teams making up 2300 race entries that went into the championship qualifying dataset that Champcar provided. I turned finishing positions into finishing %s to normalize for the size of races. The average race finishing % is shown here by make/model/year.

31 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Funny. When you use graphs to come after me they are the most important thing in the world. When they are shown and do not show or support your argument then they are not important at all and should not be used. Interesting thinking there and I see what you did.

26 minutes ago, takjak2 said:

I took the finishing data from 800 teams making up 2300 race entries that went into the championship qualifying dataset that Champcar provided. I turned finishing positions into finishing %s to normalize for the size of races. The average race finishing % is shown here by make/model/year.

Data script mined from speedhive or from some source?

3 hours ago, Ron_e said:

But are all swaps the same for all MR2's?

Basically all V6 engines with some a little more hp and some a little less hp, but nothing major. Some run one trans and others run the other. There is the one that runs the turbo engine so he actually can have more hp up top, but harder to drive in mid corner with turbo lag. I always wanted to race him and see how we compared, but it has not happened yet. Maybe NCM.

49 minutes ago, enginerd said:

14 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Funny. When you use graphs to come after me they are the most important thing in the world. When they are shown and do not show or support your argument then they are not important at all and should not be used. Interesting thinking there and I see what you did.

WHY ARE MOMMY AND DADDY FIGHTING!!!!!!

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Show me these graphs that I came after you with.

Also, get out of here with your false equivalency! Just because THESE graphs are inadequate doesn’t mean that ALL graphs are inadequate. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Basically all V6 engines with some a little more hp and some a little less hp, but nothing major. Some run one trans and others run the other. There is the one that runs the turbo engine so he actually can have more hp up top, but harder to drive in mid corner with turbo lag. I always wanted to race him and see how we compared, but it has not happened yet. Maybe NCM.

It only takes a little more hp to make the swap formula take off like a rocket.  I believe it is what outlawed a certain engine for the 400SX.

7 hours ago, Ron_e said:

It only takes a little more hp to make the swap formula take off like a rocket.  I believe it is what outlawed a certain engine for the 400SX.

Agreed and that is the reason why we can not use the good engine that we would love to use, the 2gr.

4 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Agreed and that is the reason why we can not use the good engine that we would love to use, the 2gr.

Can't you just put a different valve cover on it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 8