2018 Tire News?

Voodoo Child

Wondering if anyone has the latest news on tires for the upcoming season?  Is Maxxis still on board as a Champcar sponsor this year? Are there any new tires or expanded size ranges coming available? 

It would be great if the manufacturers took a more active role in providing information and "marketing" to our series.  We have had great luck with the performance of the Hankook RS-4 through heat cycles (our BFG's would turn to stone) and some exciting competition.  They have dropped some size options, and like everyone else, we are looking for "the latest and greatest".  Anyone have the inside scoop?  Any test articles out there I missed?

On 1/6/2018 at 9:32 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Wondering if anyone has the latest news on tires for the upcoming season?  Is Maxxis still on board as a Champcar sponsor this year? Are there any new tires or expanded size ranges coming available? 

It would be great if the manufacturers took a more active role in providing information and "marketing" to our series.  We have had great luck with the performance of the Hankook RS-4 through heat cycles (our BFG's would turn to stone) and some exciting competition.  They have dropped some size options, and like everyone else, we are looking for "the latest and greatest".  Anyone have the inside scoop?  Any test articles out there I missed?

I had Great results on the RS-4 last year and will be standardizing on that unless someone tells me the Ziii's last longer than the Zii.  I talked to a Tire Rack rep and Tirerack.com size options for the RS-4 aren't because they are reducing the size options.  Rather, it is because they were more popular than they were expecting and they sold out. They expect to see the availability come back in the spring when the slow boat from Asia get's here. Hopefully that's the case.

1 minute ago, lenbo211 said:

I had Great results on the RS-4 last year and will be standardizing on that unless someone tells me the Ziii's last longer than the Zii.  I talked to a Tire Rack rep and Tirerack.com size options for the RS-4 aren't because they are reducing the size options.  Rather, it is because they were more popular than they were expecting and they sold out. They expect to see the availability come back in the spring when the slow boat from Asia get's here. Hopefully that's the case.

Good info. We have been running the RS4's as well and are happy with them. But we just placed an order for a set for our new build and were told by Luke at Tire Rack that there is only one set left in our size. Good to know that availability will get better. 

S. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimo said:

Does anyone run RS-RR? https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-FEDERAL-595-RS-RR-TIRE-245-40ZR18-245-40-18-93W-RS-RR/292097318320?hash=item44025b5db0:g:leoAAOSwhOdXof4F&vxp=mtr

I've only done short 30min track sessions on them, not sure how they would hold up for endurance.

I recently ran Federal 595 RS-RR (Saturday) and RE-71R (Sunday) on my B-Spec Yaris in a Lucky Dog event at Laguna Seca. The RS-RR was originally a 140 TW that has been rebranded as 200. In my hands, the RS-RR and RE-71R have similar lap times at both Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca. I felt like I had more grip with the RE-71R, but it didn't show up in the lap times. Neither tire is very durable, and the RE-71R is probably the more durable of the two. The front right outer lip of the RS-RR ended up overheating and peeling away. The same thing happened with RS-3s on my Miata. In both cases, I was running -2.5 camber. With -3.5 the tires may have survived. Lots of people have no problem with the RS-3, so I would say if RS-3 survive on your car, then RS-RR would probably survive too. I got the RS-RR for $85 per tire in 205/50/15, which is a lot less than the $117 I paid for RE-71R. I think the biggest downside of the RS-RR is the flame-inspired tread pattern. I just ordered 2 sets of new tires and the RS-RR wasn't one of them. I think the main reason was the flames.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Snorman said:

Good info. We have been running the RS4's as well and are happy with them. But we just placed an order for a set for our new build and were told by Luke at Tire Rack that there is only one set left in our size. Good to know that availability will get better. 

S. 

Just a little more info that I learned in my research with Hankook.  The reason these work so well for us is because they built them for their drifting market which Hankook sponsors aggressively, rather than the autocross market.  They worked directly with drifting teams when designing the RS-4. Drifting teams need something that will give them controllable and predictable "grip" even when the tires are hot and have broken loose from the pavement, don't lose too much tread or delaminate when overheated and come back quickly even when overheated.  It just happens to be that these are the same traits we need in endurance racing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Lenbo211-Very interesting information regarding Hankook working with drifting teams.  The design parameters for engineering a good drift tire and your observations jive pretty closely with what we have seen.  We tried Direzza's and Toyo's and mutilated the tread (severely "feathered" tread blocks and chunking).  The BFG Rivals (not Rival S, which don't last at all) seem to turn to stone after a few heat cycles-still predictable, just not much grip.  Fun stuff.

14 minutes ago, Voodoo Child said:

Lenbo211-Very interesting information regarding Hankook working with drifting teams.  The design parameters for engineering a good drift tire and your observations jive pretty closely with what we have seen.  We tried Direzza's and Toyo's and mutilated the tread (severely "feathered" tread blocks and chunking).  The BFG Rivals (not Rival S, which don't last at all) seem to turn to stone after a few heat cycles-still predictable, just not much grip.  Fun stuff.

The RS4 is your favorite??

I gotta say the RS4s really last and last on my Miata, although going to nine inch rims and running 245s might have something to do with it too.  I like the old star specs on my prior Miata but they never lasted like that...

RS4 grip remain good too.

Edited by Jer

9 hours ago, scottyk said:

Wondering what the size/demand is for the R-S4, I might be able to help.:D

They had offered a 255/40ZR-17 and a 245/40ZR-17.   We used the wider ones on the rear.  Now Hankook only list the 245's on their website.  Our car seems to work with 245's "all around" pretty well, but I would still prefer "more meat" in the back.  Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and Nexxus all offer 255's or even 275's, but we haven't tested them.

22 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Any heavy cars out there running the rs4?

I'd say I'm heavy at 3200 without me in it.  I've posted some reviews here and on the LDRL forum.

Short story, as long as they are available in the spring, I'm standardizing on them.  There isn't even a close 2nd place tire for me and I've heard that over half of the teams in LDRL are switching to them.